Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

After the weekend and the behaviour of the City fans,I changed my opinion and wanted Spurs to get fourth. Well they've done it - and, I feel gutted to be honest, because to my mind, that means that we will now be battling for 6th/7th place at best next season . I feel a great disappointment that we have been so close for three seasons now - yet Spurs have ONE good season and make it to the Champs League. Last season, they were in danger of being relegated - I well remember our away game to them early last season, hearing their fans on the walk back to the car discussing how we were so much better than them - now look, one year on! :cry: (Yes I know we've still had a good season )

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if we had a top striker in we would ahve had 4th i ahve no doubt about that.

spurs have far better strikers than us im afraid to say.

defoe, crouch, pav, gudjohsen all capoable of scoring tonnes of goals while we have

carew and gabby who can score. heskey has a poor goal scoring ratio and the fonz is just a rookie at the moment

ee the difference?

I actually think it's our defence that makes the difference. If you can play as high up the pitch as we do and still concede so few goals, then you will always be in with shout. Our stirkers really aren't very good. That is the area that most Spurs fans think needs improving. The midfiled just get so little help from the front me. Our stikers also don't like up with each other that well. I know you lot rate you defenders highly, but I think if you had more attacking fullbacks and CB's that played 10 yeard higher up the pitch, then it would put the opposiotn under more pressure and give your front men more opportunity. I know they've missed some sitters, but they can't have missed more than ours. Gabby gets 60% of his shots on target and Carew 45%. Pav, Crouch and Defoe get under 45% on target. Your FB's create so little and watch how many challenges Dawson and King make up at the half way line compared to other CB's. It really allows us to play at a high tempo and we don't even need a DM like Palacios, as they are so often defending up where the DM would be anyway. If we swapped strikers I'm not sure the difference would be that great, but if we swapped back 4's, I think you'd be ahead of us. I know it's not common consensus, but I really believe that despite how good your defenders are at defending, they are a major part of what is holding you back. In the modern game, I think they need to get forward more down the flanks and the CB's need to play a higher line.

It was for the good of English football that Spurs won last night and i think everyteam supporters even Arsenal were on their side so well done to them and they won when it mattered most

i dont think so citeh will still spend millions and i expect liverpool to as well, just makes it extra diffcult for us next year

Where are Liverpool going to get the money from? Selling Gerrard and Torres perhaps? Then Rafa can buy some great players such as...

It was for the good of English football that Spurs won last night and i think everyteam supporters even Arsenal were on their side so well done to them and they won when it mattered most

i dont think so citeh will still spend millions and i expect liverpool to as well, just makes it extra diffcult for us next year

If Man City had got 4th then they'd be able to attract a much better type of player than they can now. They would spend money big-time and would permanantly replace Liverpool in the top 4. Who wants that? (Not me!)

Because Spurs have finished 4th - it'll still be a race for 4th next year.

I can see Man City bringing in players but they won't bring in many players better than what they already have.

Spurs will probably spend £10-15m on 2 or 3 players but it still won't be a huge difference to their squad (yes, they'll have a few better quality players - but nothing to the extent that will cement their place in the Top 4).

Where are Liverpool going to get the money from? Selling Gerrard and Torres perhaps? Then Rafa can buy some great players such as...

paulo wait and see you will be eating those words im afraid as i think liverpool will get taken over by a major wealthy person

If Man City had got 4th then they'd be able to attract a much better type of player than they can now. They would spend money big-time and would permanantly replace Liverpool in the top 4. Who wants that? (Not me!)

I can see Man City bringing in players but they won't bring in many players better than what they already have.

Spurs will probably spend £10-15m on 2 or 3 players but it still won't be a huge difference to their squad (yes, they'll have a few better quality players - but nothing to the extent that will cement their place in the Top 4).

spurs spend about that already! they will spend bigger now and can attract world class players like huntelaar, van nisterooy etc i reckon. put it this way now any player that we and spurs want they will go to them ahead of us, same applies with citeh. at least before it would have been just citeh.

this benefits them greatly and as someone said i think we blew our chance and now w e can only hope for 6th/7th next year

paulo wait and see you will be eating those words im afraid as i think liverpool will get taken over by a major wealthy person

spurs spend about that already! they will spend bigger now and can attract world class players like huntelaar, van nisterooy etc i reckon. put it this way now any player that we and spurs want they will go to them ahead of us, same applies with citeh. at least before it would have been just citeh.

this benefits them greatly and as someone said i think we blew our chance and now w e can only hope for 6th/7th next year

We'll just have to wait and see wont we?

I don't think next season will be too different to this season.

Teams will slip up, small teams will beat some big teams. Each team will make improvements.

Man City have a squad of immense talent and yet they couldn't get 4th. If they bring in more players then they'll have the same problem of not having a team that has played much together.

Spurs will be a threat because they have a good squad that plays well as a team. But, like you said, they spend a lot on players already - so I can't see it making a huge difference.

Would their team really be that much better with Huntelaar, Van Nistlerooy and another good player?

you raise some good points rob, but i think now they can afford to keep modric and i feel he would have left in tghe summer if they failed to get CL.

the difference between them and us is they have bentley as backup for lennon if he is injured or wants to be rested, and then have modric, hudds, palacios they can mix and match with these three while we dont. we only have a rookie delph and nrc who mon refuses to play.

redknapp injects faith in his squad by mixing it up, he will drop players who dont perform. he uses his players like bassong, asoko, corluka, bale etc all have been out of the team at one time, while our manager doesnt. he has had opportunties to use the likes of davies, nrc and l young but just ignores them unless someone picks up an injury and we rely on the same side week in, week out.

you cant get 4th like that we have seen this twice now with us. if it happens again next year no rotation and using the full squad then we have to accept this is the furthest mon can take us as much as it pains me to say it.

Some insider knowledge?

If Spurs get through the qualifiers at all , I am 100 percent sure they'll never make it out of the group stage. Harry does not have the tactical nous for the CL, it is where the real BIG boys play.

In fact I am willing to bet Spurs will not make it to the knockouts if they get to the group stage in the first place. Anyone willing to take me on? ....

First of all, thankyou to all those Villa fans who have been gracious enough to congratulate Spurs on gaining at least 4th place ... much appreciated.

As to your proposed bet, MrWeedMcGrass, IF Spurs reach the group stages wouldn't it be wiser to wait and see how the draw for their group pans out before diving in all gung-ho? Wouldn't it be wiser still to wait and see what Spurs do in the transfer market this summer?

I certainly won't be making any bets until all of the above has come to pass. But if you choose to renew your offer at that time then I might be interested.

Some insider knowledge?

Now we know where all the money has gone from Greece, Dem has had it away and is planning to purchase Liverpool.

Personally I think Liverpool have still got a little ways to fall before they get their act together. The price that Gillette and Hicks want is unrealistic, Torres will go and I think they'll be in danger of another poor season.

But then I also reckon Citeh will finish second next season so I might just be off my rocker.

If Spurs get through the qualifiers at all , I am 100 percent sure they'll never make it out of the group stage. Harry does not have the tactical nous for the CL, it is where the real BIG boys play.

In fact I am willing to bet Spurs will not make it to the knockouts if they get to the group stage in the first place. Anyone willing to take me on? ....

First of all, thankyou to all those Villa fans who have been gracious enough to congratulate Spurs on gaining at least 4th place ... much appreciated.

As to your proposed bet, MrWeedMcGrass, IF Spurs reach the group stages wouldn't it be wiser to wait and see how the draw for their group pans out before diving in all gung-ho? Wouldn't it be wiser still to wait and see what Spurs do in the transfer market this summer?

I certainly won't be making any bets until all of the above has come to pass. But if you choose to renew your offer at that time then I might be interested.

Spurs are almost certainly going to be in the third pot for CL seeding, which makes for, historically, about a 1 in 4 chance of advancing.

Spurs are almost certainly going to be in the third pot for CL seeding, which makes for, historically, about a 1 in 4 chance of advancing.

its a better chance than we have..

We will be fine. Spuds will make a couple of bad signings and unsettle their team. They won't reach the knockout champs league and will struggle with a long season.

Gomez will go.

Can't bring myself to watch Twitchy celebrate or listen to the King of Chavs - Defoe.

Will be interesting next year!

Â