Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He does make some good points from time-to-time but I dunno I just find him too one-eyed when it comes to Spurs.

Almost anyone they sign is going to be brilliant (Dos Santos, Hutton, Naughton etc.) and when I question him on Spurs struggling to win away from home, he pulls out some stats that they're unbeaten in their last 6 away games (even though they've drawn 5 of them). And of course them only finishing in the top 6 twice in the past twenty years is always down to managerial instability (blame the board then!)

Just would like to see some balance in his posts, feck me there's as many faults in the Spurs side as there are in ours but you wouldn't guess from his posts.

Glaston's just a wind up... I've learnt to ignore him. I also saw him saying Gomes is better than Friedel, Villa's defence isn't even comparable to Spurs 1st choice defence with King and Woodgate (even though we've got the best defence in the league wtf?) and that on current form Huddlestone is better than Milner. With all these claims he makes you would of thought Spurs would be some sort of big club who were always finishing in the top 4 and playing in Champions League... oh wait.

has this guy ever seen either team play if thats what hes posting I doubt it

Why don't some of you post links to the posts in which Glaston has irritated you? I'd genuinley like to see them. My suspicion is that he's just posted in manner typical to most football fans, in which he over rates his team and their players, but is totally genuine in his belief. I also suspect that the replies he gets from these posts are over the top and will confirm what i wrote earlier about Glaston not being the problem and it's more the attitude of some of the posters here. I think there could be some selective memory issues, in which only certain parts of Glastons posts are remembered and the posts that caused him to reply in the first place, often forgotten. I could well be wrong and will certainly apologize if some of Glaston posts can be highlighted which seem antagonistic and worthy of the abuse he often gets.

I'm genuinley not trying to stir up a Spurs vs Villa fan argument, as I don't see individuals as representative of a football club. How people behave on a messageboard tells us nothing about the fan base of a particular football team. But I just think it's the minority (ie Glaston) who is the wronged part here and the majority are using their numbers to justify the abuse he gets and fuel each others nonsense prejudices (ie stuff said about Spurs fans in general).

This post from another forum is well worth a read for anyone that doesn't understand why redknob is universally hated:

you all seem to be astonishingly generous towards Redknapp's role in the financial ruin of every club he's ever managed. I'll try and keep this not too TL:DR because you'd all be better off reading the relevant sections of Broken Dreams by Tom Bower (actually read the whole thing, it adds context on how clubs get away with dodgy transfer dealings, how widespread they are and, most crucially to Redknapp's case - superagents and the way they operate).

- Leeds fans being words removed can't have helped, but at Bournemouth 'Arry did his usual thing of being a solid enough manager to bring some initial success, then whining and nagging his naive chairman right up until each transfer deadline for cash over and above what they could really afford (wages and transfer fees) because the success it would bring would make them more money in the long run (see: his FA Cup win at Pompey for what a giant load of bollocks this is at small or medium sized clubs). He then got out for an Assistant's job at a bigger club while his stock was high then went back for Bournemouth's best players at far below market value because he and he alone knew that his old club were papering over the cracks and had to sell for any cash offer to get them off their books.

- at West Ham again, after stabbing Billy Bonds in the back to get the top job, he badgered Terrence Brown relentlessly via his growing army of press cohorts and his ally at the club, one Peter Storrie, who was supposed to be a buffer between Redknapp the 'football man' and Brown the businessman. I'm sure Storrie's siding with 'Arry every time was purely a result of buying into his footballing vision, and nothing to do with seeing how much could be skimmed off the top of deals involving superagents like Pini Zahavi, Rune Hauge and Willie McKay. Broken Dreams details the sheer cheek of his approach at his peak, where after spending his allocated transfer budget, he kept insisting to Brown they were too weak at RB, and he needed £1.5m to sign Gary Charles. Brown relented, Charles played a handful of games, Redknapp demanded money for a RB again - when challenged about using Charles more "he's shit, what do you expect for £1.5m?". Redknapp's transfer policy, particularly after their one good season under him, was historically bad - insane fees spent on has beens and never weres. Samassi Abou? Titi Camara? Ragnvald Soma? Marco Boogers?. For every genuine coup like Paolo Di Canio there were two top class players who Redknapp made play like pub players - Paolo Futre, Davor Suker? Might as well have been Trevor Benjamin for all this 'great motivator' got out of them.

- key point at West Ham - during Redknapp's reign they spent about £500k less than Arsenal in the same period. Arsenal saw Wenger revamp not just the playing staff but the whole mentality of the club, turning them from mid-table mediocrity to perennial title contenders on a sensible wage structure. Redknapp had one good UEFA-qualifying season, bought a load of aging shit, lumbered them with terrible contracts that contributed to their later relegation (few players increase in value under Redknapp at any club) and turned the megamoney sale of Rio Ferdinand into about 8 really crap players (before complaining he hadn't been given any of the money).

- Southampton was probably the least of his sins, he wasn't there long enough to be able to say that their board wouldn't have **** them anyway. His transfer record was again legendarily bad though, and he not only failed to assemble a team that could keep them up, he failed to put together one that looked like much in the division below.

- Portsmouth he brought Peter Storrie to the club who again acted as a buffer, championing his endless demands to spend above their means without reservation. Storrie of course played a big part in bringing all the crooks in that have been chairman after incumbent crook Milan Mandaric. Going back to Bournemouth, he did the same thing here after moving to Spurs - ruthlessly stripping PFC's corpse of any valuable assets with his inside information, this time that they'd never actually paid properly for most of the players they own. An iluminating quote from his time here was from the Independent from October last year:

"I got a percentage of sell-on [fees] in my contract if I sold a player. The club paid me five per cent [for Crouch]. I went to Milan because I had signed a new contract that said five per cent but I said, 'No, when I signed Crouch it was 10 per cent, so I want 10 per cent' and Milan said, 'OK.'"

Have a look at any of Redknapp's clubs during his spell in charge - the transfer traffic in and out of the club is insane, only Barry Fry has ever topped him in seasons that don't involve promotion or relegation. By his own admission he's paid a significant sum for selling players, so his motivation is pretty obvious. Spurs are probably too financially robust to suffer the way all four of his previous clubs have - but the squad turnover remains incredibly high, has only not been 'bad value' overall because of his picking at the Portsmouth carcass (and they've now got nothing left of interest), and your club's past form with this sort of character (Venables did you a lot of damage in the 90s, again Broken Dreams deals with this in great depth) should make you very very wary indeed.

I'd also remind everyone that football's 'master wheeler dealer' once spent £13m in a day. What did he have to show for this? John Utaka and David Nugent, two forwards who managed 9 league goals between them.

Source, don't think you need to reg to read

Why don't some of you post links to the posts in which Glaston has irritated you? I'd genuinley like to see them. My suspicion is that he's just posted in manner typical to most football fans, in which he over rates his team and their players, but is totally genuine in his belief. I also suspect that the replies he gets from these posts are over the top and will confirm what i wrote earlier about Glaston not being the problem and it's more the attitude of some of the posters here. I think there could be some selective memory issues, in which only certain parts of Glastons posts are remembered and the posts that caused him to reply in the first place, often forgotten. I could well be wrong and will certainly apologize if some of Glaston posts can be highlighted which seem antagonistic and worthy of the abuse he often gets.

I'm genuinley not trying to stir up a Spurs vs Villa fan argument, as I don't see individuals as representative of a football club. How people behave on a messageboard tells us nothing about the fan base of a particular football team. But I just think it's the minority (ie Glaston) who is the wronged part here and the majority are using their numbers to justify the abuse he gets and fuel each others nonsense prejudices (ie stuff said about Spurs fans in general).

:wave: HELLOOOOO

Are all you Spurs Fans the same

This is VILLA TALK not COYS Cockney wankfest

There's a good thread on Red Cafe when Glaston's arguments get ripped to shreds, I think over Manure allegedly tapping up Berbatov.

There's also a thread on a Spurs youth cup game against Arsenal when he starts the thread when Spurs go 1 up and he just dosen't post again when Arsenal change it to 3-1.

They love him on there as much as we do on here!

This post from another forum is well worth a read for anyone that doesn't understand why redknob is universally hated:

you all seem to be astonishingly generous towards Redknapp's role in the financial ruin of every club he's ever managed. I'll try and keep this not too TL:DR because you'd all be better off reading the relevant sections of Broken Dreams by Tom Bower (actually read the whole thing, it adds context on how clubs get away with dodgy transfer dealings, how widespread they are and, most crucially to Redknapp's case - superagents and the way they operate).

- Leeds fans being words removed can't have helped, but at Bournemouth 'Arry did his usual thing of being a solid enough manager to bring some initial success, then whining and nagging his naive chairman right up until each transfer deadline for cash over and above what they could really afford (wages and transfer fees) because the success it would bring would make them more money in the long run (see: his FA Cup win at Pompey for what a giant load of bollocks this is at small or medium sized clubs). He then got out for an Assistant's job at a bigger club while his stock was high then went back for Bournemouth's best players at far below market value because he and he alone knew that his old club were papering over the cracks and had to sell for any cash offer to get them off their books.

- at West Ham again, after stabbing Billy Bonds in the back to get the top job, he badgered Terrence Brown relentlessly via his growing army of press cohorts and his ally at the club, one Peter Storrie, who was supposed to be a buffer between Redknapp the 'football man' and Brown the businessman. I'm sure Storrie's siding with 'Arry every time was purely a result of buying into his footballing vision, and nothing to do with seeing how much could be skimmed off the top of deals involving superagents like Pini Zahavi, Rune Hauge and Willie McKay. Broken Dreams details the sheer cheek of his approach at his peak, where after spending his allocated transfer budget, he kept insisting to Brown they were too weak at RB, and he needed £1.5m to sign Gary Charles. Brown relented, Charles played a handful of games, Redknapp demanded money for a RB again - when challenged about using Charles more "he's shit, what do you expect for £1.5m?". Redknapp's transfer policy, particularly after their one good season under him, was historically bad - insane fees spent on has beens and never weres. Samassi Abou? Titi Camara? Ragnvald Soma? Marco Boogers?. For every genuine coup like Paolo Di Canio there were two top class players who Redknapp made play like pub players - Paolo Futre, Davor Suker? Might as well have been Trevor Benjamin for all this 'great motivator' got out of them.

- key point at West Ham - during Redknapp's reign they spent about £500k less than Arsenal in the same period. Arsenal saw Wenger revamp not just the playing staff but the whole mentality of the club, turning them from mid-table mediocrity to perennial title contenders on a sensible wage structure. Redknapp had one good UEFA-qualifying season, bought a load of aging shit, lumbered them with terrible contracts that contributed to their later relegation (few players increase in value under Redknapp at any club) and turned the megamoney sale of Rio Ferdinand into about 8 really crap players (before complaining he hadn't been given any of the money).

- Southampton was probably the least of his sins, he wasn't there long enough to be able to say that their board wouldn't have **** them anyway. His transfer record was again legendarily bad though, and he not only failed to assemble a team that could keep them up, he failed to put together one that looked like much in the division below.

- Portsmouth he brought Peter Storrie to the club who again acted as a buffer, championing his endless demands to spend above their means without reservation. Storrie of course played a big part in bringing all the crooks in that have been chairman after incumbent crook Milan Mandaric. Going back to Bournemouth, he did the same thing here after moving to Spurs - ruthlessly stripping PFC's corpse of any valuable assets with his inside information, this time that they'd never actually paid properly for most of the players they own. An iluminating quote from his time here was from the Independent from October last year:

"I got a percentage of sell-on [fees] in my contract if I sold a player. The club paid me five per cent [for Crouch]. I went to Milan because I had signed a new contract that said five per cent but I said, 'No, when I signed Crouch it was 10 per cent, so I want 10 per cent' and Milan said, 'OK.'"

Have a look at any of Redknapp's clubs during his spell in charge - the transfer traffic in and out of the club is insane, only Barry Fry has ever topped him in seasons that don't involve promotion or relegation. By his own admission he's paid a significant sum for selling players, so his motivation is pretty obvious. Spurs are probably too financially robust to suffer the way all four of his previous clubs have - but the squad turnover remains incredibly high, has only not been 'bad value' overall because of his picking at the Portsmouth carcass (and they've now got nothing left of interest), and your club's past form with this sort of character (Venables did you a lot of damage in the 90s, again Broken Dreams deals with this in great depth) should make you very very wary indeed.

I'd also remind everyone that football's 'master wheeler dealer' once spent £13m in a day. What did he have to show for this? John Utaka and David Nugent, two forwards who managed 9 league goals between them.

Source, don't think you need to reg to read

This isn't really an example of why Redknapp is hated, but a biased piece in order to justify hating him. Everyone who reads it and even the guy who wrote it knows that all of these points can easily be dismissed as nonsense.

I don't know much about his time at Bournmoutn, but the West Ham comments are ridiculously biased. Every manager pesters their chairman for money to invest. kevin Keegan is loved at Newcastle and he opnely admits he kept telling the chairman we need to spend just a bit more and then a bit more after that. He even admits to lying about Peter Beardsleys age so the chairman would agree to his fee. The article doesn't mention Harry took Wham to their highest ever league position. It slags of his signings, but doesn't mention the quality he brought to the club. It says he spent as much as Wenger, but doesn't mention how much he got back in transfers and neither does it mention how much other clubs spent in relation to Wenger. Basically the guy has compared Redknapp to the best manager in the transfer marker in Prem history and has used this as a way to criticise.

And the Pompey stuff is even more ridiculous. Unbelieavably he slags off Harry's transfer dealings. He took players to Pompey they could only have dreamed of in the past. And he made a huge profit on his transfer deals. Add up the cost of the players he brought in and compare it what they got back. Oh and whilst you are doing this, compare it with Wneger at Arsenal. Funnily enough the writer wasn't so keen to make that comparison this time. Pompey were doing fine until Mandaric sold to Gaydamak. Yet some how people try and blame Harry for it.

If people don't like Redknapp that's up to them. I can understand why, as there is something dislikeable about him. But I don't see why they try and justify this dislike with bullshit reasons like those posted above and often in this thread in general. You all know Redknapp wasn't in charge of the finances at Pompey, Wham and Southampton. You all know he's had more success than failure in the transfer market. He says more good things about other clubs than most other managers. Overall he's just a good football manager. But he isn't a likeable guy and I can see why he winds people up, but I wish they would at least criticise him more honeslty. Why can't people just admit they hate him he's just erm...... hateable!

Y'know, I found out today that Pompey spent more in bonuses after their FA Cup run than they gained through the whole FA Cup run. That's pretty bad financial management by anyone's stretch and I'm guessing that Redknapp would've had as much if not more imput into levels of bonuses etc. than upstairs.

He won't do the same at Spurs due to their never ending pot of Gold but I wouldn't be surprised to see him out on his ear in the next 12-18 months when he gets found out at the top level.

And the day he becomes England manager is the day I stop caring about international football.

Has Glaston changed his name to Joey? What's all this crap about you've seen no evidence of Glaston posting bollocks. I'm sorry but you haven't been here long enough to understand Glaston's irritating actions, i.e. appearing in the summer all full of optimism, then disappears. Personally i think he wouldn't stick with Spurs if they were struggling down the bottom.

It's not so much that he posts bollocks, for the most part he posts pretty much the same as you'd expect any spurs fan to post.

It's the timing of every single one of his posts. Only posts when spurs are doing well or linked with some world class player they stand no chance of getting (or someone Villa are also linked with, who ofc will choose spurs over Villa) and disappears for months at a time when they're doing crap.

If he stuck around through the crap times and posted something, anything, negative about spurs once in a while, maybe people would think differently of him, but he's like a broken record, just goes on and on and on about how this year is spurs year, this year is different to all the others, how this year their team is top 4, how this year they're going to win everything, until they lose and then he won't be around again until they fluke a result against the big 4, and then it'll be the same old shit about how awesome spurs are.

Spurs suck! Gomes is the worst goalkeeper in the league! King, Lennon and Defoe are overrated! Dawson is shocking! Spurs fans are deluded! Spurs are a mid table team at best! Redknapp is a sour faced clearing in the woods!

Just bringing the thread back on topic. :D

Spurs suck! Gomes is the worst goalkeeper in the league! King, Lennon and Defoe are overrated! Dawson is shocking! Spurs fans are deluded! Spurs are a mid table team at best! Redknapp is a sour faced clearing in the woods!

Just bringing the thread back on topic. :D

A Hoofspuds supporter speaking sense? whatever next?

Â