Will time travel ever be possible

paddy

Will time travel ever be possible?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Will time travel ever be possible?

• Yes and in our lifetime
    • Yes, but not in our lifetime
    • No

No. Absolutely not.

It is logically impossible. Time is linear, and the past has ceased to exist and the future doesn't exist yet. Past and future only exist in the absract of the human mind, and it is impossible to travel to a place that does not physically exist.

So was tv, the internet, or even electricity a few hundred years ago.

But the components that were assembled to create said things did exist. There has always been potential tv, internet and electricity. Luckily, we have gained the knowledge to invent these things. I'm sure there is potential do invent and do many things we haven't even thought of yet. There is no such potential for time travel.

It's a fairly safe bet that when man was running away from sabre tooth tigers he didn't foresee the potential to invent the internet - even though the components for it existed. The thing that might make time travel possible probably exists now, we just haven't discovered how to do it - tis no different.

Having said that, I highly doubt we'll ever invent time travel but let's face it, whaddo we know!

No. Absolutely not.

It is logically impossible. Time is linear, and the past has ceased to exist and the future doesn't exist yet. Past and future only exist in the absract of the human mind, and it is impossible to travel to a place that does not physically exist.

So was tv, the internet, or even electricity a few hundred years ago.

But the components that were assembled to create said things did exist. There has always been potential tv, internet and electricity. Luckily, we have gained the knowledge to invent these things. I'm sure there is potential do invent and do many things we haven't even thought of yet. There is no such potential for time travel.

This. No-one has invented a Flux capacitor and it's impossible to generate 1.21 gigawatts of electricity.

Time is a dimension in its own right. It is not simply a reference point along the way, and time ins't in fact linear, it just appears that way.

Gravity can affect the speed of light, which is why black holes are black, becasue within a certain distance, light cannot escape its gravational hold. Therefore at some point called "the event horizon" light must be in balance with gravity, and therefore not moving. It therefore stands to reason that if the speed/wavelength of light (itself odd becasue it behaves like a waveform and a particle) is subject to change, then our way of measuring time, in relation to the speed of light, can be altered.

once you take the idea that in a 4th dimensiion, time itself can be "bent" out of shape, then dependent on that shape, theres no reason why logically, time cannot be bent back on itself firther than the start of the bend. Therefore time travel certainly of an indicitual particle should be pssible.

I'll go backto brief history of time tonight, just to check, but there were things in there about the attributes of particles, that suggested they could "not decay, positively", ie the opposite of decaying as they age is to defeat time itself.

So if you can assemble one particle and push it "forwards in time" then you could do the same theoretically to a huge bundle of losely linked particles, such as a human. But the very great number makes it unlikely beyond the theoretical.

or something.

once you take the idea that in a 4th dimensiion

i read a work of fiction the other week that made reference to experts beleiving that there are 10 dimensions .. string theory and all that

I did a bit more reading from that and , erm not sure how best to say it as i didn't totally understand it myslef but it was along the lines of time is just one of the directions in the 4th spatial dimension, and our spacetime universe is being created one planck length at a time as we twist and turn in the available branches of the 5th dimension .. which I think means that time travel is most likely not posisble but multiverse travel may be ??

only way it's half possible is if there is truth to alternative universe theories and you could quantum jump into one of these universes running on a different time line - as expostulated much better in m chrichton's interesting fictional book Time Line ( note: movie is just simply appalling )

but it probably is just that, fictional.

Time is a dimension in its own right. It is not simply a reference point along the way, and time ins't in fact linear, it just appears that way.

Gravity can affect the speed of light, which is why black holes are black, becasue within a certain distance, light cannot escape its gravational hold. Therefore at some point called "the event horizon" light must be in balance with gravity, and therefore not moving. It therefore stands to reason that if the speed/wavelength of light (itself odd becasue it behaves like a waveform and a particle) is subject to change, then our way of measuring time, in relation to the speed of light, can be altered.

once you take the idea that in a 4th dimensiion, time itself can be "bent" out of shape, then dependent on that shape, theres no reason why logically, time cannot be bent back on itself firther than the start of the bend. Therefore time travel certainly of an indicitual particle should be pssible.

I'll go backto brief history of time tonight, just to check, but there were things in there about the attributes of particles, that suggested they could "not decay, positively", ie the opposite of decaying as they age is to defeat time itself.

So if you can assemble one particle and push it "forwards in time" then you could do the same theoretically to a huge bundle of losely linked particles, such as a human. But the very great number makes it unlikely beyond the theoretical.

or something.

There was a thread just the other day about a guy working on a time machine based on that theory.

The idea is you can bend time back on itself so you could travel back in time but only as far as the point at which the time machine was invented and time was bent.

That would atleast eaplain why there are no "time travel tourists" yet.

I love deep threads like this :)

I figure that if it is possible, there will be need to be two devices, one either end (such as a phone or computer) and this is why we have not seen time travelers from the future yet.

As someone mentioned earlier, people were saying the Hydron Collidor may be one of these devices (with the potential ability to create a worm hole) ...if only they could get the damn thing to work.

Teleportation Yes, Time Travel No

Quantum entanglement if what I don't get. Basically, two particles can share the same quantum state, and if the state of one of the particles changes the state of the other particle also changes. The weird thing is if you send two entangled particles billions of miles apart from each other, the change of state in one of the particles will still affect the change in state of the other, as if they are communicating faster than the speed of light. Weird

No. Absolutely not.

It is logically impossible.

So was tv, the internet, or even electricity a few hundred years ago...

Electricity is a natural phenomenon.

I’ve examined the musings of some of the great thinkers on time travel such as Einstein, Hawking and Cher and I suspect it is impossible in the Dr Who sense.

However, if there happened to be an alien species called Time Lords then all bets are off.

The argument of why havent we seen people from the future is flawed. The general concensus seems to be that time travel backwards will only be possible up to the point we first travelled forward, as that hasn't happened yet there is no link...

If travelling back in time it should only be possible to travel back to the point when the first time machine was created.

There was a thread just the other day about a guy working on a time machine based on that theory.

The idea is you can bend time back on itself so you could travel back in time but only as far as the point at which the time machine was invented and time was bent.

i posted the theory in the thread the other wek ... I had read it in a magazine years ago and just remembered it

do you have a link to it as i wouldn't mind reading it again ...

I love deep threads like this :)

I figure that if it is possible, there will be need to be two devices, one either end (such as a phone or computer) and this is why we have not seen time travelers from the future yet.

As someone mentioned earlier, people were saying the Hydron Collidor may be one of these devices (with the potential ability to create a worm hole) ...if only they could get the damn thing to work.

Ahhh it's broke, 4 pages for a reply isn't bad going.

I think this is the best proposal, the future is just waiting for "portal" to allow time travel.

The human concept of time is a construct to address our inability to conceive everything at once. As Juju said on page 3, time is just another dimension in spacetime. There is nothing special about it.

The fact that time travel appears counterintuitive is neither here nor there. Much of quantum mechanics is counterintuitive, it's still our best model for how the universe works.

If time travel were possible in the commonly accepted sense, it would almost certainly require a "receiver" which presumably still needs to be invented (from our point on the timeline).

My answer is "maybe". :mrgreen:

Â