Will time travel ever be possible

paddy

Will time travel ever be possible?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Will time travel ever be possible?

• Yes and in our lifetime
    • Yes, but not in our lifetime
    • No

It's a mind boggler for sure.

Isn't it already possible though, in a very different way?

I'm talking about those satellite photographs that show pictures of supernovas and whatnot from billions of years ago.

Isn't that becuase it takes that long for the images to travel?

Aye, but we're witnessing something that has already happened. We are looking back in time, which would suggest some element of time travel.

It's all terribly confusing really.

No. We are witnessing said pictures reaching us, which is happening at the moment we first see them. If you shout at me from across a football pitch, I hear the sound about a second after you actually shouted. That doesn't mean I'm travelling back in time.

It's a mind boggler for sure.

Isn't it already possible though, in a very different way?

I'm talking about those satellite photographs that show pictures of supernovas and whatnot from billions of years ago.

Isn't that becuase it takes that long for the images to travel?

Aye, but we're witnessing something that has already happened. We are looking back in time, which would suggest some element of time travel.

It's all terribly confusing really.

No. We are witnessing said pictures reaching us, which is happening at the moment we first see them. If you shout at me from across a football pitch, I hear the sound about a second after you actually shouted. That doesn't mean I'm travelling back in time.

No, we are witnessing the light of things that happened years ago, today.

If I have a telescope that can see an object 1 light year away the thing I am looking at is an image of the light given off a year ago and travelling here. It is not what the thing actually looks like now, a year later. The star or what ever it is might not actually be there but a year ago it was so thats what I see.

In essence you are looking back in time.

This stuff fascinates me tbh

I'm a whore for heavy talk.

I've been thinking, maybe 'time' travel may not be possible, as time is not a physical thing. But, maybe a 'leap' through space would be possible, and a by-product of which would appear as 'time' travel.

If that makes sense lol

I think time dilation is what you mean.

So yes, if we could travel at near-lightspeed and return to Earth time would have moved on more slowly for those on the spaceship than for those left behind. So the effect would be like travelling into the future.

Pictures are, essentially 'captured' light.

You are not looking back in time at all, you are observing light from one light year away reaching you now.

You can call it 'looking back in time' if you want, but you aren't. Just as I'm not 'hearing back in time' if Phumfeinz shout at me from across a football pitch.

What about the old "twin paradox"?

It would appear time travel into the future is theoretically possible at least.

You could theoretically percieve it as getting there faster, so to speak, but it's not actually time travel.

Which is why I said "the effect would be like travelling into the future".

You wouldn't be travelling into your own, subjective, future, but you would effectively be travelling into the future of the world you left behind.

Pictures are, essentially 'captured' light.

You are not looking back in time at all, you are observing light from one light year away reaching you now.

You can call it 'looking back in time' if you want, but you aren't. Just as I'm not 'hearing back in time' if Phumfeinz shout at me from across a football pitch.

It's not just pictures though, it is what you are looking at and perceiving.

If you look up into the sky tonight and see a supernova you are not seeing that point in space as it is, you are watching something that happened however many light years ago. You are witnessing the past.

If an alien spaceship is right this moment sitting approximately 8 light-years away and watching the earth, and New York, on its super telescope it may well be witnessing the twin towers being attacked and destroyed, it would be watching earth vintage September 2001 despite being out there looking right now.

And yes, you are 'hearing back in time' with regards to the shout. You are hearing something that happened a second ago. On the other side of the field the sound there is not the one you are hearing, time has moved on since it was made.

In essence nothing in the world you perceive can be considered the present. Everything around you is an image of the past, of things that happened a fraction of a second ago and travelled to your senses and into your brain. By the time you register the world around you it is no longer reality anymore. To quote another famous bearded guy; "You're living in the past man!"

You could theoretically percieve it as getting there faster, so to speak, but it's not actually time travel.

You wouldn't be travelling into your own, subjective, future, but you would effectively be travelling into the future of the world you left behind.

Well if you turned around and travelled back at clost to the spead of light then the earth you return to will have aged much faster than you have. As the twin paradox says, your twin on earth will be an old man living in the earth of the future whilst you are still young.

Well if you turned around and travelled back at clost to the spead of light then the earth you return to will have aged much faster than you have. As the twin paradox says, your twin on earth will be an old man living in the earth of the future whilst you are still young.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

We humans have always believed that we have a good understanding of time, space and technology. We consider ourselves to be an "intelligent life". Perhaps we are, however, it is just as possible that from the perspective of the rest of the Universe we are a very primitive life, just as we see ants, for example. So, is time travel possible? I don't know. I would certainly say that based on our current understanding I would say no. On the other hand; it may be very easy!

Wouldn't it come down to how we view time.

If seen as a "concept" then we have to be able to conceptualise time travel.

If seen as a dimension or more precisely a direction then again we should eventually be able to travel along it as we do with the others.

Do I think it will ever happen -------- No

Maybe they did. Maybe they went back and killed somebody to prevent a different catastrophe - but the upshot was 9/11.

but then they would just shout "Death ! " go back and do it again and again until they got the right outcome

If it was we would surely have encountered people from the future by now? Although, it depends on the rules. Going by Time Traveller's wife rules we may not know about time travellers from the future.

But no, I don't think it's possible.

Â