Topic Necromancy

bickster

Does topic necromancy irritate you?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Does topic necromancy irritate you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Indifferent

Necromancy (pronounced /ˈnɛkrɵmænsi/; Greek νεκρομαντία nekromantía) is a form of magic in which the practitioner seeks to summon "operative spirits" or "spirits of divination", for multiple reasons, from spiritual protection to wisdom. The word necromancy derives from the Greek νεκρός (nekrós), "[[dead]", and μαντεία (manteía), "prophecy".

However, since the Renaissance, necromancy (or nigromancy) has come to be associated more broadly with black magic and demon-summoning in general, sometimes losing its earlier, more specialized meaning. By popular etymology, nekromantia became nigromancy "black arts", and Johannes Hartlieb (1456) lists demonology in general under the heading. Eliphas Levi, in his book Dogma et Ritual, states that necromancy is the evoking of aerial bodies (aeromancy).

:shock:

Although I am sure this is the use in this case:

In modern time necromancy is used as a more general term to describe the art (or manipulation) of death, and generally implies a magical connotation. Modern séances, channeling, Spiritism and Spiritualism verge on necromancy when the invoked spirits are asked to reveal future events. Necromancy may also be presented as sciomancy, a branch of theurgic magic.

ahhh...bit like the Chris Moyles one then ?

Yep exactly like that one, but there was another one where Blandy compares the price of football to gigs (which on reading it made me think blandy had got tickets to see Sigur Ros and not invited me, until I read my own post later on and it clicked

No, I think it's great. There are some really good threads back there that get missed by lots of people just because they aren't on the front page.

As an history buff (and an old git to boot) I despair of the obsession with the contemporary, to the exclusion of anything older than yesterday. Bring back more old threads, I say!

Time present and time past

Are both perhaps present in time future,

And time future contained in time past.

If all time is eternally present

All time is unredeemable.

What might have been is an abstraction

Remaining a perpetual possibility

Only in a world of speculation.

What might have been and what has been

Point to one end, which is always present.

Footfalls echo in the memory

Down the passage which we did not take

Towards the door we never opened

Into the rose-garden. My words echo

Thus, in your mind.

But to what purpose

Disturbing the dust on a bowl of rose-leaves

I do not know.

Other echoes

Inhabit the garden. Shall we follow?

Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,

Round the corner. Through the first gate,

Into our first world, shall we follow

The deception of the thrush? Into our first world.

There they were, dignified, invisible,

Moving without pressure, over the dead leaves,

In the autumn heat, through the vibrant air,

And the bird called, in response to

The unheard music hidden in the shrubbery,

And the unseen eyebeam crossed, for the roses

Had the look of flowers that are looked at.

There they were as our guests, accepted and accepting.

So we moved, and they, in a formal pattern,

Along the empty alley, into the box circle,

To look down into the drained pool.

Dry the pool, dry concrete, brown edged,

And the pool was filled with water out of sunlight,

And the lotos rose, quietly, quietly,

The surface glittered out of heart of light,

And they were behind us, reflected in the pool.

Then a cloud passed, and the pool was empty.

Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,

Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.

Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind

Cannot bear very much reality.

Time past and time future

What might have been and what has been

Point to one end, which is always present.

Grrrrr, necromancy and polls :evil:

I concur with the Cider Man.

Dragging up polls and threads from years ago. Why?

just confusing and largely pointless, IMO.

I disagree. In fact, I think polls are the best to drag up. I remember one being brought up a while ago which was something like 'who would you most like us t to sign?' and most of the votes were with Carlton Cole. Quite a few people went off on rants about how shit he was for us and just because he's playing well now doesn't mean he'll fit into our system.. and then it was pointed out this thread was made 2 games into his loan spell with us, when he looked like he was gonna be the next Dwight Yorke.

Amusing, and interesting to see how opinions have changed over time.

I disagree. In fact, I think polls are the best to drag up. I remember one being brought up a while ago which was something like 'who would you most like us t to sign?' and most of the votes were with Carlton Cole. Quite a few people went off on rants about how shit he was for us and just because he's playing well now doesn't mean he'll fit into our system.. and then it was pointed out this thread was made 2 games into his loan spell with us, when he looked like he was gonna be the next Dwight Yorke.

Amusing, and interesting to see how opinions have changed over time.

true, but i find them very confusing!

also, they do provide a big opportunity for points scoring. Not sure whether that's a good thing, or a bad thing, TBH (depends what i've posted) :winkold:

i bet someone will drag this one up in about a years time. well lad, whats the craic in 2010? if theres some time travellers out there, will you come back in time and tell me the lotto results for the euromillions?

a couple of reasons.

1) A lot of people would not have been members of this site when that topic/poll was discussed. If its worthy of debate, then let the new members also debate it.

2) Rather than start a new thread about the same topic, might as well continue the old thread.

Â