O'Neill - stay or go, the update

Risso

Should O'Neill stay or go?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. Should O'Neill stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Here's a scenario! before the season started how many people would have took 3 points from our opening two fixtures? well what happens if you go and spank Liverpool? aren't we where we thought we would be? I know it's all if's and but's....BUT let's not give up after one game eh?!

For the umpteenth time, it's not just about one game.

What about all the games before when we played some fantastic football?

7 Away wins on the bounce.

This all proves to me that MON and the squad have it in them to turn things around.

It was not just because of Laursen and Barry.

And the form we ended last season indicates that they have not got that in them.

Something is very wrong behind the scenes, only a blind man would fail to see that.

You are basing all this on assumption though.

When we have seen countless interviews from people saying the team spirit is brilliant.

It certainly looked like that yesterday :winkold:

Yes, its all assumptions. But thats all we have to go on. You can only comment on what you see in front of you, and yesterday was scarey.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we had a poor finish to the season and we were terrible yesterday but i think fans lose their confidence in the manager too easily. I think most fans are fickel and that goes for most clubs (eg 5 seasons ago utd fans were calling for fergie's head when they didnt win anything major in 3 years, now u would find it hard to find one complaint about fergie.) Yes we havent won anything under o' neil but he has established us a top six club and a contender for the top 4, When was the last time that was said before o'neil took over, its sad to see that fans have no faith in their manager or team.

Here's a scenario! before the season started how many people would have took 3 points from our opening two fixtures? well what happens if you go and spank Liverpool? aren't we where we thought we would be? I know it's all if's and but's....BUT let's not give up after one game eh?!

This all proves to me that MON and the squad have it in them to turn things around.

that run came off the back of playing 451 which MON was forced into playing because of injuries not because he's a tactical genius.

He then buys the worst goals to games ratio striker ever reverts back to a 442 we then become terrible and yet he still persists. So yes we have some players to turn it around as long as the right team and formation is picked but unfortunately we dont have the right manager to do that.

Dont think the two goals yesterday would have been much different with Laursen but our over all play was greatly effected without Barry who looked class for City.

I'm so fed up with the obvious mistakes O'neill makes its making following Villa difficult.

I think had the whole 451 one thing not happened last season and fourth wasnt there for the taking then maybe I wouldnt be that bothered right now but it seems the last 18 games have been such a monumental **** up and weve seemingly gone from top four to bottom four its hard to back MON.

Do you think Evertonians want Moyes out now? And they had a great end to their season.

That's the whole point. We had a disasterous end to the season.

And Everton were played off the park by Arsenal, we were played off the park by the mighty Wigan!!

We are not Man United,we don't have a god given right to beat these teams.

We played Arsenal off the park last year,these things happen.

Some people won't have it mate. They'll just say we've always played shit football. People won't be happy until we are Arsenal.

And whats wrong with that?

Is that not what we should be trying to do?

Yes but quite obviously we need patience to get there.

Something we almost did last year.

Very true. But more of yesterday, and that patiance will have gone.

OK, there are a few on here that hope Martin will fail. But there are lots of us that like the man immensly, and want him to succeed. I hope he does.

But look at yesterday and tell me everything is going to be ok.

Its not the losing, its how you lose.

Some people won't have it mate. They'll just say we've always played shit football. People won't be happy until we are Arsenal.

And whats wrong with that?

Is that not what we should be trying to do?

Yes, but labelling it shit because we aren't Arsenal is stupid.

Surely every club aims to have as many titles and European Cups as Madrid, doesn't mean the likes of United and Milan are shit just because they haven't won as many.

I an understand why Glaston often makes such sarcy comments now, I dare to think any Wigan fan is reading this forum at the moment. The majority on here have given them no respect what so ever. Just because their name isn't Arsenal doesn't mean they can't play good football. I bet their fans think we're a right bunch of tossers.

And the form we ended last season indicates that they have not got that in them.

Something is very wrong behind the scenes, only a blind man would fail to see that.

You are basing all this on assumption though.

When we have seen countless interviews from people saying the team spirit is brilliant.

It certainly looked like that yesterday :winkold:

Yes, its all assumptions. But thats all we have to go on. You can only comment on what you see in front of you, and yesterday was scarey.

I definitely agree it is scary I guess I just still have the belief.

I was saying myself yesterday he needs to move massively in the tranfer market.

Been busy all weekend and so I haven't even seen highlights of the game, but from readng VT it sounded like a right horror show.

Disastrous start ot the season losing to Wigan at hime, MON obviously needs to take a long hard look at things this week and hopefully get some quality players in for area where we are obviously lacking.

But to get rid of him based on the first game of the season would not be a logical decision. If we are struggling at the wrong end of the league in October, then this will be a debate worth having.

Do you think Evertonians want Moyes out now? And they had a great end to their season.

That's the whole point. We had a disasterous end to the season.

And Everton were played off the park by Arsenal, we were played off the park by the mighty Wigan!!

We are not Man United,we don't have a god given right to beat these teams.

We played Arsenal off the park last year,these things happen.

I'm not saying we have a divine right to win any game. I can accept losing to anyone as long as there is commitment and ideas going into a game. Yesterday was toothless. How many other top 10 teams do you think Wigan will go to and not only win, but play them off the park this season - and I bet you it's none. I genuinely think David O'Leary would have got us into the top 4 by now if he had the same money as MON has had available, and thats down to 1 word - ambition. DOL would have gone for the very best players available unlike MON who seems happy with a 'make do' attitude.

I don't agree with 90% of MONs signing, and this window has been just a big joke much like the last one.

But the truth is he has improved us year after year, and we wouldn't be able to replace him with a bigger name.

Everton almost got relegated a few season ago but they stuck with Moyes and have had 2 back to back 5th places.

Newcastle and Spurs sacked good managers and never recovered.

I say stick with MON and see where we are at the end of his 5 year plan - then decide.

Stay. But was one of the worst footballing performances I have ever seen. Unacceptable.

The vibe in the crowd wasn't all too friendly towards MON or the players. After about 10 minutes some fans lost their patience and started getting on the players backs. MON has a big job to do here now.

I don't agree with 90% of MONs signing, and this window has been just a big joke much like the last one.

But the truth is he has improved us year after year, and we wouldn't be able to replace him with a bigger name.

Everton almost got relegated a few season ago but they stuck with Moyes and have had 2 back to back 5th places.

I say stick with MON and see where we are at the end of his 5 year plan - then decide.

Martin O´Neill is not bigger than Aston Villa FC!

It was a dire performance and big things need to be done. That team is capable of more than that, and it's also likley to be augmented with signings in the coming couple of weeks.

But getting rid is ludicrous. Lets see what the next couple of weeks bring us in terms of performances and signings.

Oh yes this famous run of away wins.... :lol::lol:

Hull- Last minute Goal- deserved to lose

Sunderland- got a pen that never was

Gillingham- exactly the same as Sunderland :shock:

West Ham- Got hammered and got a lucky milner deflected goal

Everton- routed all match and got an ill deserved 3-2

Who said he was?

Sacking a manager like MON after one game into the season would make us the laughing stock of football.

Let's not follow the Spurs/Newcastle model.

We need to keep our nerve FFS - it's only one game into the season.

Where did I say that?

You think somebody else could come in and fisnish higher than 6th instantly?

He's had long enough to build a squad with strength in depth and yet after all this time its still on the ground.

That's the problem. It's not on the ground but up in the sky, Wimbledon style. When we were playing shit last season he could've made it rather easier by using Barry and Petrov more. 2 players good at ball retention and passing and instead he got the team hoofing balls up to the front me. Now he had Delph and Petrov yesterday, use them to their strengths, aka keeping the ball and passing. Central midfield is a major problem cos he won't **** use them properly!!!!

For me it matters not who he brings in, as long as this shit non-league style football carries on we won't push on at all.

i can't believe the amount of negativity being spouted after yesterday's game. Yes, we were terrible and deserved to lose. Yes, we look under-prepared for the new season. And yes, the end of last season was a big disappointment. But MON has done wonders for this club and to lose him due to a few wingeing idiots expecting success on a plate would be a disaster and knock us back massively. MON is stubborn, eccentric but a bloody genius as well. He may frustrate us in the transfer market and with team selection but we have to look at the bigger picture. We've played some fantastic football in the last three years. We're expected to compete for a top six place and we will compete for the top four. But not if we change our manager. Who would do a better job than MON that we could attract? No-one. To do well in the Premier League we need a maverick in charge not some big talking idiot like O'Leary or Hoddle. Everyone, back MON and please stop moaning. I watch football for enjoyment, not to act like some spoilt child when things aren't going my team's way. Supporters need to support not boo. Save that for if we ever get lumped with another O'Leary in charge. For now back the team and keep the faith. Up the Villa!

Â