Peace Cup: FC Porto a 2009/07/31 Match Thread

limpid

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where's the general thread for the Peace cup that was in the on-topic forum?

or do we just talk about it in the latest match thread?

anyway, i'm looking forward to this match - especially now all the players should be a bit more fitter.

Is the kick off definitely 19:30? I've seen it down as that on OS, BBC and Sky but Wikipedia (I know not the most reliable source) has it down as 21:30 with the other semi at 19:30.

I've not watched either of the previous games so I'm abandoning plans for tomorrow evening so I can watch this one.

Is the kick off definitely 19:30? I've seen it down as that on OS, BBC and Sky but Wikipedia (I know not the most reliable source) has it down as 21:30 with the other semi at 19:30.

I've not watched either of the previous games so I'm abandoning plans for tomorrow evening so I can watch this one.

Ticketmaster are selling tickets for a semi in La Rosaleda kicking off at 20:30 local time. I sure hope they're right ;) Basically yes, it's 19:30 English time with the Juve match at 21:30.

I think we're in for a bit of a battering

Will be out on friday night so wont be able to watch :(

I don't know why (probably foolish blind optimism) but I think we'll be OK. We may not get through, but I don't think we'll be battered. We've been gathering momentum through the tourney and we finished at a canter against Atlante. That's more about our own fitness than about the quality of opposition. Afterall, we comfortably beat a team who, themselves, comfortably beat a Malaga team who beat us only a few days prior. I think it'll be a cracker personally :)

I think it'll be a cracker personally :)

I dont know how strong the team Porto have been fielding is, but even the strongest team we could put out tomorrow could only be described as "severely weakened", and we are up against a genuine top team

Hope for the best, but I think anything other than a Porto win would be a major surprise.

If we had a full strength team we'd have a pretty decent shout imo

Peace Cup Preview: Aston Villa - Porto

Neither side look set to front a full-strength team, but with a €2 million first prize on the line, could it all be a ruse?

Kick-Off: Friday, July 31, 2009. 22:30 CET.

La Rosaleda, Malaga

A Slow Start

Topping their table on goal difference, Aston Villa left it until the last to secure their spot in the Peace Cup semi-final.

After a poor start to the competition, losing 1-0 to Malaga, Martin O'Neill's men proved yet again that Villa can strike at any time - the Birmingham-based outfit putting three goals past Atlante with only an own goal from Curtis Davies as a reply.

You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry...

Some people - not surprisingly - wrote off Porto after the side sold off a lot of their better performers, but a 2-0 win over Lyon in their first Peace Cup game wiped the grins from a lot of doubting faces.

In light of this, last season's winners of the Portuguese league still have the services of the affectionately named Hulk, who will no doubt be looking to find the net again after a dry run in Porto's most recent match against Besiktas.

TEAM NEWS

There's some bad news for the Villans ahead of the clash, as resident string-puller Stiliyan Petrov will be sidelined. Unfortunately, the Bulgarian general dislocated his shoulder during Villa's last game with Atlante and is currently awaiting results of the subsequent scan.

O'Neill has also publically stated that he might use a host of youngsters in an attempt to give his up-and-comers some valuable experience.

In the Porto camp, Miguel Lopes and Radamel Falcao are doing recovery training and should be eligible for the tie, while Cristian Rodriguez and Sapunaru have not yet regained full fitness.

All players who started against Besiktas did not attend training on Wednesday, but instead had some light massage work.

With all of this in mind, to hazard a guess at who will be starting for either side would be an exercise in futility.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Aston Villa - Gabriel Agbonlahor: The pacy striker has yet to score in Villa's pre-season campaign. And after a slump in form at the end of last term, the England international will no doubt be looking to start notching up some goals.

Porto - Hulk: As mentioned, the Lou Ferrigno lookalike screamed two past a helpless Lyon earlier in the competition, and after failing to register a goal against Besiktas, the Brazilian powerhouse will want his fans to know that he alone can fill the void left by Lisandro Lopez.

PREDICTION

A tough one to call without a good look at the starting XIs, but one would imagine more than one goal being scored. A hard-fought game will probably end with one of the sides winning by a small margin.

Aston Villa 3 - 2 Porto

Gabby eh :)

Click.

Confusion reigns.

Acording to GOL TV Villa vs Porto - kick off at 7:30 pm

Peace Cup on Wiki - kick off at 9:30 pm

Goal.com - kick off 9:30pm

BBC - Kick Off 7:30pm

Soccerlens - 9:30pm

Peace Cup Website - pile of shite

Listings for my local pub - kick off 9:30pm

So what time is our game really at?

It's not on telly, no. Well, not in the UK anyway. You can easily stream it though.

As for the match... I don't think we'll get battered but I can't see us winning. Hopefully Cuellar can perform as well as he did the other night, he was a rock. Be interesting how we deal with Petrovs absence as well...

Here's to a good game anyway.

Anyone know if Gabby, Milner and Gardner have flown out to Spain to join up with the rest of the squad given they have been back in training for a few days now? There fitness level should be good anyway given that they didn't finish with the under 21s until the end of June.