The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Got my Suede ticket yesterday ... with Pearl Jam in July , my to do list of bands is nearly  complete

can't think of any new bands to add , what with all the music I like being crap and all that 

Fixed :crylaugh:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Flaming Lips gig in July

been sold out and I thought I'd missed the boat, asked around and got a ticket today at face value

absolutely **** chuffed!!!

there's always one last ticket

• Like 3

I saw the Flaming Lips at a festival some years ago. I thought they were astonishing, but it occurred to me that maybe I was being swayed by the amazing visuals, so I closed my eyes and concentrated on the music. Sure enough, it was good, but nothing special. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

I saw the Flaming Lips at a festival some years ago. I thought they were astonishing, but it occurred to me that maybe I was being swayed by the amazing visuals, so I closed my eyes and concentrated on the music. Sure enough, it was good, but nothing special. 

Yes, they'll be a great summer gig with friends. But if your head is in the right place, then the visuals can really really make the gig.

Had a couple of albums on this evening and when they hit a good tune, they are fantastic. They're not all good tunes, but hey, if the Super Furries aren't going to put out anything new, the Lips will do just fine.

It's a small venue, the Tramshed, so I'm really happy to be seeing them properly up close, not from the back of some field or stadium.

I saw the Flaming Lips at the Eden Project a few years back. It was fantastic  and utterly bonkers - the venue really added to the vibe. 

they were supported by The Go! Team and Ok, Go. Both of whom got the crowd moving well in advance of the Lips coming on. 

• Like 1

So this week I have bought tickets for Courtney Barnett in Manchester, The Lovely Eggs in Preston and The Positive Vibrations Reggae festival in Liverpool

My recent hiatus from gigging is over

OH and I'm also going to a Room in the Wood / Campbell L Sangster double header too (both old mates of mine)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Got myself tickets to see Gruff Rhys in Exeter, which also happens to be on the wife’s birthday.

hope she doesn’t mind me going ;) 

I nearly posted in the 'piss you off' thread, that the Super Furry Animals twitter sparked back in to life advertising gig tickets.

But once I calmed down, it was for Gruff, not SFA.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I nearly posted in the 'piss you off' thread, that the Super Furry Animals twitter sparked back in to life advertising gig tickets.

But once I calmed down, it was for Gruff, not SFA.

I’m desperate for new SFA material... :( 

however, a bit of Gruff won’t go amiss in the meantime!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I’m desperate for new SFA material... :( 

however, a bit of Gruff won’t go amiss in the meantime!

true story

We were looking for some filler material for our footy programme and we struck up a little competition between us to see who could interview the most famous person. Monday, in the office I sat there and idly wrote out a load of questions for Gruff about his (then) new album Candylion. Should we ever cross paths. I folded it up, put it in my pocket and walked in to town.

I got to the very first coffee shop, opposite the castle on the main drag and he was sat in there! In the window, on his own! 

Fairly sure my sudden halt and jaw dropped stare alerted him to the fact he was in trouble. I marched in sat next to him and said hi, explained the competition and asked my first question. Bugger me, his answer was so slowly delivered, so rambling and incoherent, that I didn't bother with the other questions.

Basically I asked him why he'd been at one of our games recently, and he said he was just there with a friend as his friend had wanted to go. But.......his....... version..............version.........his version.......... took about 20.........maybe 15........no, 20..........yeah 20...........er......... minutes.......20 minutes.

Love him to bits. He once let me sit in the airplane chairs they used for Skylon.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, bickster said:

Hiatus well and truly over, now going to the Bunnymen at the Philharmonic in Liverpool on 25th May (A freebie!)

you've still over paid :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

you've still over paid :)

Tbh I'm only going for the beers, I've seen the Bunnymen more times than any other band, in places large and small, all the big events and secret gigs in small backstreet boozers (easily In excess of fifty gigs that I was a punter and not working) and as much as they are one of my all time favourite bands, I wouldn't be paying £40+ to see them at this juncture.

Stones last night was pretty decent all things considered , i.e they have a combined age of about 486  , wasn't sure Charlie Watt was going to survive the gig , he looks like death  , but then someone pointed out he's looked that way for 30 years !!  Jagger doesn't move like he used to but they got the crowd going by playing all the favourites and they sounded good , though they probably have more than a little help from the backing musicians

Not convinced by London Stadium as a venue for gigs though , something not quite right with the sound quality , though it did seem to improve as the gig went on 

Liam Gallagher was the support - he mainly played Oasis tracks which was surprising seeing as he has his own material , when I saw Noel supporting U2 last year I don' think he played any oasis stuff  , Liam mainly  shouted a lot down the mic out of tune , which is probably a fair reflection of his ability tbh  .... that separately Noel and Liam are reduced to warm up status when if they gigged as Oasis they'd probably fill stadiums day on day probably tells you why the Stones have stayed together as long as they have , the sum is greater than the parts

• Like 2

Oddest audience ever at a Bunnymen gig. Bar full of people quaffing champagne and moaning when people stood up when the band were on. Even moaning when they had to move because someone needed a piss, I doubt most of them had been to a "proper" gig in their lives

The woman in front of me (who I know and detest) claiming to everyone around her that she was a lifelong fan (she's also known to boast that she's a relative of Dixie Dean) - she's talking complete and utter shit there, never seen her at a gig ever (nor would I expect to, she's not the type)

Band were ok but not really a fan of this orchestra bollocks, I did expect it because they are promoting the new album, 13 classic tracks with strings and stuff. The band didn't disappoint me, it was what I expected

Just glad I didn't pay

C2D111B1-F613-48B3-9F3F-EE0E2E513ED2.jpeg

Â