Striker to be dropped- Phillips or Angel?

SoccerHQ

Who should be dropped for Baros?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be dropped for Baros?

• Phillips
    • Angel
    • Don't drop any- play all 3!

On what evidence can you say that he would be good as an attacking midfielder, has he ever played in that position? The only passes i see angel make are sideways or backwards so i fail to see why he'd be so great as an attacking midfielder. Also an attacking midfielder should be someone who can run with the ball at players something that angel cannot do. Just because his passing and creativity stats are good on champ doesn't mean he can do a job there. Angel has nothing more to offer aston villa than as cover for the two better strikers we now have.

Calm down sweetheart its just MY opinion. JEEZ! you JPA basher are something else. I'm just giving my opinion kid.. you don't have to be so all-knowing and aggressive.

And by the way .. when he played at Atletico Nacional he PLAYED AS A CREATIVE MIDFIELDER A FEW GAMES.. SO I DO HAVE EVIDENCE WITH MY OWN EYES.. PLUS WITH RIVER HE'D SLIP DOWN A BIT IN SEVERAL GAMES.. so I guess I DO HAVE EVIDENCE OF IT. That said it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of the fool.. then opening it and removing any doubt. That said.. I apologize if you didn't mean to be harsh.. but when it's written it comes across a bit like all-knowing.. and rude.. as if the rest of us have no idea about football or have a right just to simply suggest something about what truly is just a kids game. SORRY IN ADVANCE LBJ.

And notice were as I like JPA and think he gets the raw deal.. I did DROP him from the attacking line and think he should watch Satursday game from the bench and watch a REAL STRIKER score goals.

all these people saying Phillips - are they also the one who decried the siging of him as too old?

Are they also basing their opinions on ONE games me thinks so.................

When Phillips signed everyone on here said 'good cover for a respectable price' I've seen nothing to change that thinking.

And Risso those 30 games would be the 30 games he never had a pacey DazVass alongside him, well as it we've replace DV with a 'better' version I still want to see JPA / Baros - that pairing excites me. Phillips / Baros doesn't

Well I never said anything about Phillips being too old, he's just a good Premiership striker, something that Angel was two years ago, but since has had one major injury too many.

As for not having Vass next to him, well that sort of proves my point. What use is a striker who has to resort to another player's attributes? Baros may have pace, but he's a completely different player to Vassell, who did most of his good work out wide, drawing defenders away. Baros makes driving runs into the box, which I can't see doing much for JPA's limited game.

JPA has been completely dismal for about the last 30 consecutive matches, at least. How many more excuses are people going to make for him? Needs decent passes, needs a pacey player, hasn't had a full preseason yada yada yada. He's a skilful player, and a really nice bloke to boot, but he just doesn't have the pace for the Premiership anymore, and he just doesn't make enough space for himself to get any shots off.

Phillips and Baros for me, every time.

Agree. Let's see how the dynamic duo do? 30 goals between them this season or? At least 16, 17 from Milan right?

all these people saying Phillips - are they also the one who decried the siging of him as too old?

Are they also basing their opinions on ONE games me thinks so.................

When Phillips signed everyone on here said 'good cover for a respectable price' I've seen nothing to change that thinking.

And Risso those 30 games would be the 30 games he never had a pacey DazVass alongside him, well as it we've replace DV with a 'better' version I still want to see JPA / Baros - that pairing excites me. Phillips / Baros doesn't

What use is a striker who has to resort to another player's attributes? Baros may have pace, but he's a completely different player to Vassell, who did most of his good work out wide, drawing defenders away. Baros makes driving runs into the box, which I can't see doing much for JPA's limited game.

But weve always known that about Angel. He was like that before we signed him. So people make it sound as if all of a sudden he can't do it. JPA looked like a little rag doll next to Rio. But that's not his game. Personally put him on the bench and bring him in later in the match for the change of pace or style.

Sorry disn't mean it to sound harsh and come accross as all knowing. I'm just fed up of angel and the excuses that go along with his poor performances. I really don't think he has any attributes that can improve aston villa as a team and i really don't like the idea of dropping a promising player like davis just to try and fit JPA in the team.

in all honesty i feel Angels reputed "aerial prowess" has been as lacking as his goals for the last season, and so far this. Even against Bolton SKP won more headers from goal kicks etc (although not loads admittedly)

Sorry disn't mean it to sound harsh and come accross as all knowing. I'm just fed up of angel and the excuses that go along with his poor performances. I really don't think he has any attributes that can improve aston villa as a team and i really don't like the idea of dropping a promising player like davis just to try and fit JPA in the team.

Yeah but for the alternatives that we have.. I think its worth a shot. (no pun intended) ;) Don't get me wrong I really like Davis.. but IMO I would like for DOL just to give it a shot..

===Angel=======Aimar

Baros-Philips==== JPA-Saviola

Sorry I'm just tired of this team being so mediocre. I know its just 2 games.. but so far team play doesn't look any different from the past few seasons.

Come on Villa!!!

Come on Milan the Villan!!!!

I can't see why all 3 players can't fit in...

Leave Baros and SKP up front and have JPA working just behind them...

He tends to come looking for the ball anyway and has the skill and strength to hold, pass and move.

There will obviously be a great deal of healthy rotation. Whoever is out of shape, will be dropped.

At the moment, Phillips is looking sharp, while JPA isn't. Unless JPA really outshines Phillips tomorrow, I reckon it'll be Super Kev alongside Baros when we entertain the Rovers.

However, in the long term, I really regard JPA/Baros as a very solid partnership. I think they compliment eachother perfectly, and I am indeed very excited by the thought of them working together up front.

I see Baros and Angel working together quite well and I reckon D'OL will try this partnership against Blackburn provided KP doesnt score a hat trick tomorrow.

Personally I think Angel will come good again given the clear competition for places upfront might be kick up the arse he needs we will see.

JPA is good at attacking high balls to head at goal.Lumping balls up to him was never his game he wins some but generally a big CB is going to over power him.

Baros is obviously the first choice I don't think he would have moved without some gurantee of that.So it's up to KP and JPA to be is partner.

They key to it all is weither we can get a settled side and create chances.JPA good season under DOL had JLS on top of his game working in tandem with Barry and Whittingham also did well that season putting some great cross's into the box.

but I feel when JPA gets his confidence back he might find the extra spring to win some more headers.

I don't feel it's his aerial game that is the problem. That's one area I would agree that he hasn't had the service.

It's his movement that bothers me (slow reactions) and his lack of confidence in possession. He had one ball deep on the break on Sat, could have carried it 25 yards, but released it (to McCann I think, of all people) after about 5 yards, when under no pressure at all.

As for him being the creative midfielder, I can't see it, whatever he may have done in S America. He hardly ever looks to play a ball forward, or do any damage with his passes. He almost always chooses the simple lay off, and frankly fcuks that up too often for my liking.

Angel is 30, I don't see him in the long term future of the club. We need to replace him (with Ashton... please) next summer.

Thirty isn't that much. JPA may easily have four good years left in him. And in modern football, you have to regard four years as "long term".

To actually replace him next year, would not be a good move imo. Increase competion, yes please, but I do not think Angel should be sold just yet.

Â