The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Yes, it is aimed at 'young adults'. What grown men think of it is irrelevant.

Same goes for Twilight. I watched the first, it was naff, but the target audience (girls I knew at the time, really) loved it.

IMO you can only judge a film (or anything) based on what it was intended to do. You can't judge Twilight or The Hunger Games for not being as well directed, or as 'deep' as a low-budget art-house film, because it was never intended to be that in the first place. You can only compare it to other films with similar intentions, and there have been plenty of films aimed at teens through the years that have been unsuccessful despite huge marketing pushes and big name stars etc.

• Like 1

Yes, it is aimed at 'young adults'. What grown men think of it is irrelevant.

Same goes for Twilight. I watched the first, it was naff, but the target audience (girls I knew at the time, really) loved it.

IMO you can only judge a film (or anything) based on what it was intended to do. You can't judge Twilight or The Hunger Games for not being as well directed, or as 'deep' as a low-budget art-house film, because it was never intended to be that in the first place. You can only compare it to other films with similar intentions, and there have been plenty of films aimed at teens through the years that have been unsuccessful despite huge marketing pushes and big name stars etc.

Good point. Maybe the acting was meant to be a bit more childish and it appeared to be simply bad acting. The dialogue is cringe worthy but maybe that is what connects with youth better. The terrible stereotype characters needed. Maybe me shaking my head at the bully group is actually the polar opposite of what kids see. they're like omg bullies, we've bullies in highschool.

I think you're pretty much bang on the money with that post. I've never seen Twilight because I know I'll hate it. I should have done the same with Hunger Games as it was never meant for me. I had no idea what the film was about, I just watched it because it was a big box office movie. Suppose not being prepared meant I judged it too much.

I should have realised before posting that the bulk of the VT OT crowd are far too high brow to admit to being entertained by such a movie. What would the neighbours say.

To the contrary the majority of films that come out will have many posts in here saying its good or entertaining or whatever despite the majority of movies coming out being bad. 

The thread has a very positive theme towards nearly all movies to be honest. I on the other hand say what I think with not a grain of sugar coating.

Basically - Hunger Games is a turd and I dislike the fact that people were entertained by such garbage as it will further the amount of bad films Hollywood will make.  :)

I could not stand The Hunger Games. Then again I'm a big fan of Battle Royale

I seen The Running Man again last night, such an awesome movie i wonder when they are going to do a remake. If they could get the old gladiators back doing cameo roles it would be great

A bit late to the party on this but I watched The Hunger Games last week, the best film I've seen in a long time. Really enjoyed it. Had no idea it was part 1 of a trilogy so eagily awaiting parts 2 and 3.

Seriously. Sometimes I just can't understand things. I genuinely do not understand how some people actually enjoy horrendous films. 

That is without doubt the worst acted film I've ever seen. It's direction is appalling too, the script is beyond bad. 

That is the one film I would hold up as being in every aspect terrible. It is so bad it almost becomes enjoyable to watch something that's THAT bad. 

Almost. 

Please please someone tell me they agree. Otherwise we're all doomed. 

Conor, don't take this the wrong way... but a lot of your posts in this thread make you sound like a pretentious arsehole.

You're not one, I've read enough of your posts to know that. So take this as constructive advice. You might want to give some people a bit more respect.

I don't mean to disrespect, I would LOVE to be entertained by more films and am rather annoyed and jealous of others who are entertained far easier than I am. It's actually frustrating, hearing xxx is great, reviews being great and watching it being a complete turd of a movie, Looper for example. 

As for my posting style, it's always comes off arrogant and abrasive and it's pretty hard and taxing to have to reread posts to make sure it isn't insulting or whatever. Just don't take things too seriously. My posts quite often come off very different to what I actually mean. 

I do have a dislike of the written word, being Irish we've gift of dgab and spoken words communicate far more than written ever can. 

Though Hunger Games is a biblical turd of a film and you're all wrong.  :P

Your opinion of the film wasn't what I was talking about. That can obviously be whatever you want it to be.

It's how you addressed Tamuff (and others before him in this very thread) that I was commenting on.

No matter though, just thought I'd offer some advice.

Back on topic

Hunger Games: I liked the books (although thought the 3rd was anti climactic) and thought the film was decent enough, but I'd stop short of praising it as highly as TV did.

I'll be watching the sequel and will probably go with my dad (who's 70 this year and loved the film and the books, fwiw)

Edited by Stevo985

Battle royal or hunger games ..... hands down battle royal

I'd agree. But the comparison has always confused me. Apart from the actual Hunger Games (as in the "event" in the movie, not the movie itself) having a similar premise to Battle Royale, they're hugely different movies.

People always talk as if Hunger Games is some sort of remake. It really isn't, not by a long shot.

Edited by Stevo985

But this is the internet Stevo, you're not allowed to have a rational opinion. It has to terrible in every way, or a horrible turd. :D

Ignore the facts such as record breaking revenue and awards. Its SHIT. In every way.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

Its a blatant rip of battle royal

Exactly what I don't understand.

Again, the actual event in the film is more or less a rip off of Battle Royale. But the entirety of the story around it, which is most of the film and the books, is totally different.

It would be like me writing a novel which happened to have a quidditch match in it somewhere and you saying my whole book was a total rip off of Harry potter, despite the story being totally different.

Â