The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Must be VT spiderman night tonight as I've just got back from watching it

Highlight of the film for me was Gwen Stacey/ Emma stone in her knee length boots with short skirt.

Once I got over Andrew Garfield looking like Andy Murray I quite enjoyed it , I though the setup story was far better than the last reboot ... Undecided if I prefer his web to be man made rather than a by product if the bite though ... Veering towards man made at the moment though

Overall I think it's better storyline than the Sam Raimi version and now the groundwork has been laid amazing 2 should be more action packed

I stopped reading after the word 'poor'.

It was definetely the weakest of the recent batch of superhero films. Just lots of silly things that annoyed me. Not terrible just very average.

Like how the lizard who is about 8 foot tall has a lab coat that fits. And how many bloody lab coats does he carry around.

I distinctly remember the labcoat being torn when he turned into the Lizard and it immediately comes off because it's too small but he wears a shredded labcoat in the comics so it's fanservice.

Then again I find it amusing you're talking about the realism of a labcoat fitting a freaking 8 feet tall Lizard. I think that's where you should start if you attempt to pick apart a fun no-brainer superhero action film.

I'm interested to hear the plotholes too. I'm not saying you're wrong and there aren't any, I just didn't notice. In fact I got wrapped up in the film so much I didn't think much at all which to me is a good sign that I enjoyed the film immensely.

And I think Andrew Garfield is a lot better looking than Andy Murray!

Way better than anything Raimi did, even Spider-Man 2 which was the best of the lot by a way. Raimi can suck my balls for the abomination that is Spider-Man 3 and shoehorning the Venom symbiote storyline, a personal favourite of mine, into a film he clearly wanted to make all about **** Sandman, a boring character who was Raimi's favourite villain for some reason.

Any chance of Spidey being in the Avengers sequel?

No. Marvel own the rights to the Avengers movies, Sony own the rights to Spider-Man.

EDIT: This is while Spider-Man pretty much had to be rebooted fairly soon and it's why there's going to be X-Men related movies made on a fairly regular basis (Fox own the rights to X-Men stuff), because if the licences are not used for X amount of time, they go back to Marvel.

watched a Danish movie called FESTEN yesterday...

about a family party coz the dad is turning 60 but it turns very dark anbd sour when a few secrets get revealed...

a fantastic film that really shocked and took your breath away in parts, shot with a camcorder style....

you could liken it to Mike Leighs Secret and Lies but i certainly haven't seen anything like it in Hollywood...

European cinema can be so good sometimes...

ita available on lovefilm by the way

No. Marvel own the rights to the Avengers movies, Sony own the rights to Spider-Man.

EDIT: This is while Spider-Man pretty much had to be rebooted fairly soon and it's why there's going to be X-Men related movies made on a fairly regular basis (Fox own the rights to X-Men stuff), because if the licences are not used for X amount of time, they go back to Marvel.

Recipe for shit films.

Indeed, although apparently the seperate studios are getting more comfortable with acknowledging each others' work. The Avengers came very close to having the OsCorp building in the skyline of New York at the climax of the film when Sony (who got the rights to the OsCorp name and associated characters with Spider-man) approached Marvel suggesting it would be a cool easter egg for the fans to catch a glimpse of a building so intrinsically associated with Spidey.

In the end it wasn't placed into the skyline as it was too late to add it in but it seems neither studio had any problem with a little nod to their products in the another's work.

It's unlikely that Spider-man himself would appear in a future Avengers, without Sony losing the rights (which unless another film they do bombs, isn't happening), but it looks like you might be able to see little nods to him and his world in a future film. And vice versa perhaps.

about a family party coz the dad is turning 60 but it turns very dark anbd sour when a few secrets get revealed...

a fantastic film that really shocked and took your breath away in parts, shot with a camcorder style....

you could liken it to Mike Leighs Secret and Lies but i certainly haven't seen anything like it in Hollywood...

Great film and a massively dysfunctional family.

Great film and a massively dysfunctional family.

Watched that a few years ago and can definitely echo the positive reviews.

Dredd got screened at a Comic-Con preview last night so some reactions are coming out.

Every one so far adored it.

Really nice to hear. This is a movie that I really, really want to be good.

The potential for filming some of the classic Dredd stories (Cursed Earth, Judge Death, Apocalypse War, City of the Damned, Judgment Day etc) is phenomenal. It will probably never happen, but Drokk it I can dream can't I?

The guys behind it have plans on (what else?!) a trilogy - theres a rough outline of the second film seeing Dredd having to go out into the Cursed Earth and then a third film seeing an existential threat to Mega City 1 from the Dark Judges.

Apparently to make a second film viable this one needs to do $50m.

Won't happen, the property doesn't have much traction outside of Europe (and arguably the UK really), and as a hard R in the US (according toa couple of the reactions, very hard R) it can't expect to do big money anyway. So big grand ideas but they'll never see the light of day.

Tell you what I'm looking forward to, it's the reboot of Robocop. There's already a viral website and video...

www.omnicorp.com

It's got The Killing's Joel Kinnaman as the titular hero, with great support from Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson, Hugh Laurie and Abbie Cornish. Josie Padhila is the director.

It'll never be the original Robocop, which is a classic, but it shouldn't be difficult to be better than the god-awful sequels!

Just got back from watching...

killer-joe-header-thumb-550x301-43561.jpg

Gloriously twisted, funny, violent and absolutely brilliant. One of my favourites from 2012.

Couple of things though, first i'm never going to be able to look at another KFC the same way and second, if M.McConaughey keeps up this level of acting performance people might just begin to mistake him for an actor.

It was rather good and I had a feeling you would like it.

The last 20 minutes are pure madness and left me a little shocked. Fully agreed on the acting from McConaughey in it, although he was also good in 'The Lincoln Lawyer'.

In the last couple of days I've watched the second Sherlock Holmes film, and Contagion.

I really liked the first RDJ Sherlock, was a surprise hit with me as I'd expected it to be crap. The second one is a less enjoyable, it's a weaker film with a pretty flawed plot (best example, at one point a bomb is used to cover up a assassination... an assassination of a bloke in the same room as the bomb. Which kills a few people anyway... why bother to shoot the bloke?!) and Noomi Rapace (who is not a good actress, sorry) appears to be in the film because they wanted to give Noomi Rapace some work - she's a hideously superfluous character. And Jared Harris is... weird as Moriarty, it's not that he plays the role badly it's just something about him himself that is... odd. It's still good fun though, it has some nice action and Jude Law/RDJ still spark off each other, and the whole thing is a far bigger spectacle than the previous film. It's just not as charming as the first, not as funny, not as... taut. But worth a watch all the same.

Contagion was decent enough. It suffers (or benefits, depends on your point of view I guess) for it's structure - the film concerns a pandemic of a deadly virus and is interested in portraying a fairly accurate representation of how such a scenario really would play out, and because of this, it chooses to hop around 5 or so different perspectives of the situation. You end up with a curious end product - theres not a narrative as you'd usually expect, beyond what you could consider the virus itself narrative, it arises, it spreads, it kills, the world goes to shit, eventually a cure is discovered. You do end up with these 'micronarratives' that arise from the perspectives it uses to tell the story b ut I never felt particularly invested in any of them. It's a good watch all the same though, it has the obvious similarities to things like Outbreak but ends up being a more interesting watch thanks to the decision to take that slightly different focus. It's also a slightly scary watch - the virus' origin and it's initial spread and outbreak is based a real disease. You'll be wary of someone coughing for a couple of days after.

Oh and a final bonus, Dredd's Comic-Con appearance has brought with it a new, and rather gory, clip. With a couple of instances of slow mo bullets through jaws and faces, not for squeemish

Â