The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Have you seen "The End of Violence"?

Not yet but it's on the list. Presuming you're recommending?

Yep, based on the three films you linked above.

Very moody and atmospheric, he gets the decaying L.A. thing down pat.

Well worth a watch.

Interesting film. Wouldn't say I enjoyed it as much as some of the others I recommended though. Just a bit too disjointed for me. Could see what he was trying to do (another Schrodinger's cat theme movie) but it just felt that there were too many elements of the storyline that were left open-ended for me and not quite on a par with some of the other Wenders' films I've seen. Still, worth a look though.

Just watching essential killing

Not bad there isn't really any speaking in it so it's alright to watch whilst having a bit of a drink and a chat (yes I am having a drink and it's only 11:20 but I'm on holiday so it's aloud)

I though you said there was no talking in it.

Are we allowed to discuss film classification here? Haven't really dipped into the film thread too much so might be OT or already done to death this.

I got a copy of Alien on dvd on the weekend as part of some 3 for a fiver deal. my nipper is 13 and enjoys a bit of sci fi and I've mentioned previously that she should watch Alien. However, I noticed it was a cert 18 so re watched it on my own first and can't see a single thing in it that makes it 18. Relatively little swearing, no nudity or sex unless you count ripley wearing pants and a vest or a topless poster on a wall. The only thing that could possibly make it 18 is the alien chest popping moment. A big scene in 1979 granted, but surely not still an 18 because of that?

Incredibly belated, considering I've had it on DVD for 7 years ( its so old its one I had to turn over halfway through ), but I finally watched Goodfellas last night. Brilliant film - what was I thinking not watching it?! Wonderful cast.

alien is probably the scariest film ive seen though, whats that BBFC guidline threat or danger or some bollocks, basically the thing that makes it an amazing film makes it an 18

im sure i watched a film last week that had something like prolonged sense of danger as a warning on it

Aye IIRC the BBFC rating takes the general feel/intention of the film into account quite heavily. You could make a very scary film with no gore no swearing no nudity or sex and get an 18.

Part of the problem with Alien may be that it's probably not been reclassified recently. They would have reclassified the Directors Cut from a few years back, whether they dropped it down is another matter... probably not.

Watched the guard and the inbetweeners, both very funny for different reasons, the guard probably edged it for me some bits had me having to cover my mouth due to laughing so loud, unsurprisingly the inbetweeners also has some brilliant bits but suffers from most of the things I didn't like from the show, Simon being inept with women, will being a bit of a clearing in the woods although jays bullshit is minimal

Â