The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Harsh.

I make no secret of not being a fan of comic book films. 

But that doesn't mean that when they're good, they're very good.

GOTG and Avengers are both very good films, even if they fall short of the hype they both got, GOTG in particular, imo.

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Deadpool was great, Dark Knight Rises was pretty good and Watchmen was great.

That's about it for me, everything else - sorry not interested.

Meh, Deadpool wasn't that great. Certainly not as good as Avengers or GOTG.

I liked all the Nolan Batmans, but I don't really count them in the same bracket as the other marvel films. The three Nolan batmans are better than any Marvel film.

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

Deadpool was great, Dark Knight Rises was pretty good and Watchmen was great.

That's about it for me, everything else - sorry not interested.

Dark Knight Rises pretty good but no mention of Dark Knight ?  If we're going to include the Christopher Nolan Batman films in the comic book film discussion then the The Dark Knight stands head and shoulders above absolutely everything else, by a mile.  Even ignoring the comic book element, that IMV is just a brilliant film full stop.

It's a brilliant film with some poor cinematography and a plot that loses it's way right at the death, but it's a bloody good film that wears it's influence in it's sleeve... ;)

And they are comic book movies, obviously. Nolan pinched loads of elements of tentpole Batman storylines. They stand out because Nolan tempered the more nuts elements of that world, but it's fundamentally still Batman.

Afflecks take is closer to a true modern interpretation from the page, especially if you can ignore the murderous side of things. Which admittedly is hard.

They're definitely comic book films, obviously. But they are just so different from the other efforts (better, mostly) that I can't really put them all in the same bracket .

But I agree with BOF. Dark Knight is head and shoulders above the other two. And any other comic book film for that matter.

Inb4hipstersaysBeginsisbest.

;)

But yeah they are different, in a way that Batman is fairly unique as a character and so his plotlines tend to be less spectacle based. Especially with Nolan binning anything too far from 'grounded'. It would have been interesting to see what Nolan Bats would do in a world where the Justice League is a thing. Batman is marked out in that team as 'the most dangerous man on the planet' because of how clever and ruthless he is. I don't think Nolan's take could manage that.

• Like 1

Also lets just take a moment to appreciate Spawn, the true greatest comic book film.

can anyone confirm the Guyver films that are about 20 years old were from comics of some kind? Used to love that film when I was a kid.

Beetlejuice is an absolute classic. Keaton's awesome in that role and I've always loved, since I first watched it as a kid, the invention and wit of the afterlife stuff.

Keaton's Batman is an odd one. It sits strangely between the camp of the classic series and the grittier interpretation of comics in the 80s. His Bruce is good though, he plays that awkward slightly crazy side of him very well. And Burton nailed that look and atmosphere, particularly in Returns. Nolan avoided that wholesale, basically giving us Heat with capes in the look of the thing.

I'd adore a Jim Lee style Batman movie. He kinda defines the look of modern Batman for me, and he's been involved with some excellent stories. Will likely never happen though.

Edited by Chindie

I think the first 2 Keaton Batman films struck the right balance between darkness and humour. Plus you have the amazing Prince score and Nicholson killing it as the Joker. 

I love the Nolan trilogy but they are a different beast entirely.

My favourite of the Keaton films.

The atmosphere pretty much defined the odd relationship between Batman and Christmas, which shouldn't work but it's actually awesome. I prefer the original suit to the Returns one though.

So Thor just started on 4, have to say the Frost Giant's look very similar to the Night King farm GOT.. Wonder where HBO got their ideas from...

On a side note just watched Lion King, for the first time in ages. Whether you like animation or not, you can't deny that it is a truly amazing film. 

Money Train (1995)

This film looking at the reviews about it seems to one of them you either like or dislike .While i thought it was watchable i could'nt say i liked it to be honest ,i thought it was a bit far fetched at time. Would score it 6/10 

Â