The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Yeah, the dominance of the big two in Spain is as boring as **** now, but Cristiano Ronaldo does get overshadowed by Leo Messi in a massive way and it is worth pointing out just how incredible he has been since he signed for Real Madrid. Another hat trick tonight, which now takes him to 98 goals in 102 appearances for the club. He found time to provide 28 assists too, and if we are just talking league games then he has 76 goals in 71 appearances. Absolutely incredible stats, he has lived up to the transfer fee hasnt he?

Yeah, the dominance of the big two in Spain is as boring as **** now, but Cristiano Ronaldo does get overshadowed by Leo Messi in a massive way and it is worth pointing out just how incredible he has been since he signed for Real Madrid. Another hat trick tonight, which now takes him to 98 goals in 102 appearances for the club. He found time to provide 28 assists too, and if we are just talking league games then he has 76 goals in 71 appearances. Absolutely incredible stats, he has lived up to the transfer fee hasnt he?

Yes, he has been fantastic for Madrid.. first half performance against Malaga was world class no doubt, a hat-trick within 14 minutes is really impressive.

How many points are Barca leading by?

Real Madrid are top. If Levante win their game in hand tomorrow, they go top. It's not like Levante have had an easy start to the season either, they have played (and beaten) an in form Betis, Real Madrid and Malaga, who have been spending Manchester City amounts of cash on players since the Arabs took over there. Amazingly Levante are a team of thirtysomethings who were rock bottom of La Liga two thirds of the way through last season. They won 8 of their last 12 games, stayed up, spent £200k on two players this summer and have carried on where they left off at the end of last season. It wont last of course, when injuries and suspensions kick in after Christmas then they will find themselves 20-30 points behind Barcelona and Madrid, but it is fun at the moment.

Different eras, impossible to compare. Cristiano Ronaldo is playing at a time where money has allowed Real Madrid to be much stronger than everybody else, the squad they have today is just incredible, and that wouldnt have been possible even ten years ago due to things like the 7 substitutes rule not being in place and Champions League money being less. I dont think it is up for debate that the quality of opposition for Barcelona and Real is lower today than it was a decade ago. More protection from referees too, when you look at the great strikers of the late 1990s/early 2000s (Ronaldo, Michael Owen) it is little surprise that injury took its toll on them as they got kicked so much. Cristiano's club form is better as he has quite a few more things in his favour. Brazilian Ronaldo did far more at international level, but then he did play for **** Brazil so advantages Cristiano had at club level are totally reversed. They are both absolutely amazing forwards who have a great all round game.

Personally I dont think Cristiano has ever hit the heights that Brazilian Ronaldo achieved between the ages of 18-22 (PSV, Barcelona and first season and a half at Inter until his knee went) but that is just my personal opinion.

Would be incredible if Levante win tomorrow.. what a fantastic season it has been for them so far, still a long way to go but a win tomorrow and they go top.

they are doing really well and players are characters and i like Ballesteros. think their average age is 31 or 32.

But they are a disgraceful club who for about 6 months didnt pay their players

Different eras, impossible to compare. Cristiano Ronaldo is playing at a time where money has allowed Real Madrid to be much stronger than everybody else, the squad they have today is just incredible, and that wouldnt have been possible even ten years ago due to things like the 7 substitutes rule not being in place and Champions League money being less. I dont think it is up for debate that the quality of opposition for Barcelona and Real is lower today than it was a decade ago. More protection from referees too, when you look at the great strikers of the late 1990s/early 2000s (Ronaldo, Michael Owen) it is little surprise that injury took its toll on them as they got kicked so much. Cristiano's club form is better as he has quite a few more things in his favour. Brazilian Ronaldo did far more at international level, but then he did play for **** Brazil so advantages Cristiano had at club level are totally reversed. They are both absolutely amazing forwards who have a great all round game.

Personally I dont think Cristiano has ever hit the heights that Brazilian Ronaldo achieved between the ages of 18-22 (PSV, Barcelona and first season and a half at Inter until his knee went) but that is just my personal opinion.

some intresting points made, but I disagree with the different eras thing. It was only 7 years ago that Fat Ronaldo was playing for madrid. Its not like the pele v maradona debate where there was a 20-25 year difference. In addition to this the madrid team that Fat ronaldo played also had alot more money then everyone else. Don't you remember they were signing galacticos every single summer including zidane for £48 million. the squad frm 7 years was also incredible, zidane, figo, casillas, roberto carlos, hierro etc, similar standard to the one now. I think we can compare, things have not changed that much in 7 years, and madrid had more money then their rivals before.

If we are talking about club level I don't think the Brazilian Ronaldo has done any more then the Portugese one. Infact the Portugese one has a better goals per game ratio and he is not even a striker, add in all those assists too.

But of course on the international stage, the Brazilian Ronaldo has done alot more.

It was only 7 years ago that Fat Ronaldo was playing for madrid.

but that was Ronaldo after his injuries and weight issues. Ronaldo 96-99 was breathtaking

True, but so is C Ronaldo now. Do you know C Ronaldo has a better goal/game ratio from 07/08 to present then L Ronaldo had between 96-99? Both incredible players, but some people, and I'm not referring to you say stuff like ''cristiano is not fit to lace his boots'', ''he is nowhere near as good as el phenomeno'' etc, but when the facts are laid on the table he is just as impressive.

Incidentally C Ronaldo is still 26, he might even improve from his current level. :shock:

Â