Football: Can money buy success?

PompeyVillan

Football + Money= Success?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Football + Money= Success?

• True
    • False

Obviously with the takeover of Man City, and the gazillion pounds they'll no doubt spend in January, it leads one to question whether money translates into success. Initially after the takeover I was convinced, yes, it does. Now I'm not so sure.

Speaking generally, I believe in the wrong hands money brings impatience, pressure and arguably instability to a football club. Chelsea obviously have bought heavily in the past, but when they were taken over they were already in the Champions League, they've been relatively successful, but maybe things are turning?

Man City however are in all sorts of trouble, Hughes looks flustered and out of his depth and failing to deal with unrealistic expectations. Portsmouth and West Ham could be the next Leeds United. Throwing money at a problem whether you have money or not, just doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Arsenal are still a great side, yet rarely spend money on transfers these days. Arguably they're in a bad position now due to lack of investment in experienced players and reliance on youth. However, their longterm future looks decent because they make alot of money. Everton, invest here and there, but in general are quite prudent in their purchases. Their longterm future doesn't seem quite as rosey. The point though, both are good teams without being massive spenders.

Do Man City need to blow billions to become a good team, or do they need to lower expectations work on team spirit, work hard and give their team and manager more time, whilst investing more prudently?

Over to you, sorry for the long post.

I agree with BOF.

Reading the thread title, yes, money can buy success. But the poll implies money and football guarantees success, which isn't necessarily true.

Ergo, i haven't voted.

Money opposed to Sense in some ways. Man City may not have much sense but have so much money they'll eventually get it right. Complete opposite to Arsenal who haven't had vast amounts of money over the years but a lot of sense in a great manager. I'd say we have a good proportion of both :D

I agree with BOF.

Reading the thread title, yes, money can buy success. But the poll implies money and football guarantees success, which isn't necessarily true.

Ergo, i haven't voted.

Nice use of Ergo, I like that word.

And I agree with Chris.

I think alot of things decide success.. not just sense but also support and motivation. QPR are very rich and haven't had much success yet.

Money plays a much bigger role in the lower leagues than the Premiership I think... I believe a poor (by Premier League standards) Premiership side is more likely to have success (Blackburn, Bolton..) than a poor (by League 1 standards) League 1 side has of being promoted. I don't think money alone will get you success in the Premier League.. whereas I'm pretty sure you could buy your way out of League 2.

Blackburn proved that you could ... so have Chelsea who have gone from the poor relations of London to a team with glory boy fans and illusions of grandeur .. I think Hoddle (?? was it him ) actually started putting them on the map with signing Guillet and the baldy guy whose name has completely escaped me (he that managed Watford) ... without those players I don't think the Chelsea profile would ever have been high enough to get Abramovic's attention ..or indeed some of the players they subsequently attracted ... a problem man City will face short term in trying to get Europes top (sane) stars ..hence i think the reason he will buy British from now on in .. the Torres of this world are a good 5 years away from joining Man City in my opinion

getting there is one thing , having the structure in place to stay there is the important bit i guess

oh it's come back to me now ..Vialli was his name

I had to read that about 4 times Qwpzxjor1 :)

Yeah.. I slightly overused the bracket buttons didn't I?

Basically - poor lower league clubs are more **** than poor Premiership clubs.

Blackburn have very little money but have found themselves pushing for top 6.

Luton Town are still on -1 points.

Blackburn proved that you could ... so have Chelsea who have gone from the poor relations of London to a team with glory boy fans and illusions of grandeur .. I think Hoddle (?? was it him ) actually started putting them on the map with signing Guillet and the baldy guy whose name has completely escaped me (he that managed Watford) ... without those players I don't think the Chelsea profile would ever have been high enough to get Abramovic's attention ..or indeed some of the players they subsequently attracted ... a problem man City will face short term in trying to get Europes top (sane) stars ..hence i think the reason he will buy British from now on in .. the Torres of this world are a good 5 years away from joining Man City in my opinion

getting there is one thing , having the structure in place to stay there is the important bit i guess

oh it's come back to me now ..Vialli was his name

Blackburn spent a shit load when they won it.....

of course look at how much Newcastle spunked to understand that money only helps you to get there you also need a structure and a long term plan

Chelsea I believe only got their success (with all the money of course) through having Jose, few other managers would have coped

You also need the right manager of course because look at Plop and the amount they have spent and no PL title in all that time and a fluked CL of course.

You basically can't be successful in football (at the top level) without it.

Who wins the league every year? Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal.

Maybe Liverpool this season

Blackburn won it when Jack Walker bankrolled them.

It's no guarantee of success, but lack of money is a guarantee of lack of success.

Â