Football: Can money buy success?

PompeyVillan

Football + Money= Success?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Football + Money= Success?

• True
    • False

Money is effectively a necessary but not sufficient condition for footballing success (especially on a sustained basis).

I say "effectively" because there are black swan events where clubs that don't have a lot of money achieve success for a certain length of time before normal service resumes.

As to the lower-league vs. Prem thing: it really wouldn't surprise me if there's far less disparity in transfer budgets between Prem clubs vs. League 2 clubs. The average PL club is getting, what, about 50 million pounds from the TV pot this year and that's a decent transfer kitty by any measure (yeah there's the wage bill and all that, but the point still more or less stands). Whereas I get the impression that League 2 clubs are much more dependent on the largesse of the chairman, gate receipts, and getting lucky with cup draws, none of which are as evenly distributed as TV money.

We got a lot of money for Andy Gray a year or so earlier. Yes, Saunders spent it wisely and proved that it is sometimes beneficial to sell your best player if the fee is right. We werent skint.

We got a lot of money for Andy Gray a year or so earlier. Yes, Saunders spent it wisely and proved that it is sometimes beneficial to sell your best player if the fee is right. We werent skint.

actually we were, the reverbations from the North Stand were just about to be felt a year as we won the EC we were on the brink of Bankruptcy

Â