Running

trimandson

I don't know anyone at all, and I live in a small town in the south of Oxfordshire.

The thing with me is I seem to get to a certain level of fitness and never move on, when used to play football atleast 6 times a week I was still never that fit.

I don't know anyone at all, and I live in a small town in the south of Oxfordshire.

The thing with me is I seem to get to a certain level of fitness and never move on, when used to play football atleast 6 times a week I was still never that fit.

Yeah, Oxfordshire is a bit far for me to travel!

Playing football requires a completely different kind of fitness, because you can run around as much or as little as you like.

It's up to you really. I used to find running dull as dishwater. I guess for me, it took about 5 or 6 runs before the inevitable pain started to feel a little less like a chore and more like an achievement. Stick it out for a couple of weeks and it will grab you, trust me.

I did the 10k once. Last summer. Haven't run that far since. Normally a 5k is my comfort zone. I can do a bit more but thats where I seem to lose it. Also nervous because it's not as if I can practice running up any hills to get ready for the two bridges in the run.
Bridges? Bridges aren't hills!

If they're are the only slopes in your race, it's a flat course. But hill running is good - essential in fact, for running fitness.

girlsrunning2-300x278.jpg

“Running hills is an acquired skill, and a little practice can give any runner the confidence to overcome a hill phobia and make peace with the dreaded incline.”

-Uphill Battle by Josh Clark

If you're not running hills, you need to be. To maximize a hill running workout, there are a few things you can do. So often as runners, we settle into a routine (rut) of running from our front door on 2 or 3 different courses leading back to our front door. Spice it up! Hill running is something you need to infuse into your running regimen.

Do it on a real hill

My first tip is that hill running should be done off road. We're trying to mix it up, right? Well, off road running can help you develop agility, balance, and a skill called being “sure-footed” (Knowing where to put your feet—it's a term commonly used with animals. Example: deer and goats are sure-footed. Horses and burros are less sure-footed and will skid and stumble far more often.)

Plus, running a hill of dirt and rock will be softer on your joints and bones. With the extra exertion a hill requires, don't give your body the extra punishment. The purpose of hill running is to work out the muscles, not the knees and ankles.

Form over function

Next, to maximize a hill running workout run in short, explosive steps. Like yoga or pilates focuses on form over reps, so to should hill running. A hill running workout is not about a great time (if it is than do more reps or add ankle weights), it's about cross training for the sought-after short burst of explosive speed.

No matter which kind of running you do, or even which sport you do, this is something every athlete needs. Think of a sprinter ejecting from the starting blocks with each step you take. Often you need smaller steps to keep from walking up the hill anyway. Short steps are practical and better for training.

Also, just like other running routines, hill running workouts can get monotonous if you don't vary them. In your hill running repertoire, you should have 3 types of hills:

- a long, slow, steady incline for endurance building,

- a short, steep hill for sprinting and explosiveness (run this one 6-8 times with 30-60 seconds of rest between each run), and

- a mixed hill incorporating both steady, even inclines and sharper, steeper inclines.

It can take some investment to find the right hills, especially off road. But ask around, drive around, and use the trial and error approach. Remember not to trespass, be safe, and give it your all. Happy climbing!

Some good advice, there.

Link

I've just started running again. I'm not in the best of shape, but I'm not naturally unfit. Although I do smoke 10 a day which can't be under estimated.

I'm training for the Knowle 8k in May. Today (my 4th run) I ran 3.9k in 23 minutes, which I suspect is a pretty decent pace. Though I did have to walk 100m or so in the middle thanks to a monster of a stitch.

I don't agree with all this gradual build up bollocks. If you're *reasonably* in shape to begin with just run as far as you can without injuring yourself and stretch properly. Job done.

3 miles is a surprisingly long way. Not sure I could run that yet.
Hint: You're doing it wrong.

I did the 10k once. Last summer. Haven't run that far since. Normally a 5k is my comfort zone. I can do a bit more but thats where I seem to lose it. Also nervous because it's not as if I can practice running up any hills to get ready for the two bridges in the run.

If they're are the only slopes in your race, it's a flat course. But hill running is good - essential in fact, for running fitness.

Down in Jacksonville, there are some rather substantial bridges and up/down grades (not having to worry about ice/snow allows the grades to be a bit steeper than in the North).

(and it being Florida, those bridges are all about half the altitude of the highest ground point in the state...)

Down in Jacksonville, there are some rather substantial bridges and up/down grades (not having to worry about ice/snow allows the grades to be a bit steeper than in the North).

(and it being Florida, those bridges are all about half the altitude of the highest ground point in the state...)

THIS would be why I am a little worried.

Where's a good running shop to get a light running jacket?. Of the top of my head I can think of

Sutton runner in Boldmere

opposite Trocadero in Brum CC

Back of Harborne near QE

I've been trying to get to a running shop for about 3 weeks but I never seem to pass one, and I'm driving around Brum every day! I would also like to have my running style analyzed.

I know it's a lousy excuse but I've been putting off running becuase I don't have a running jacket, has anyone been running in this weather without one?

Â