Running

trimandson

This thread has been quiet for a bit but wonder if you runners have been getting out?

I havent touched bike in anger for about 3 weeks and now weigh 22 stone !! So have contemplated running not 'cos it is easier - just safer. However the pavements seem just a effing dangerous as the roads; anyone else found this ?

ps. 22 stone is a slight exaggeration !

Ive kept up the mileage by running to and from work.

With a heavy cross country period coming up with Midlands, Warwickshire and Birmingham League fixtures comin up in January - the snow is good for strength training. Although its not slippery yet (mor elike running on sand), its getting a bit dull now though.

These are my targets for 2011:

1 mile - under 4:40 (current PB 4:58 )

3000 metres - under 9:00 (current PB 9:34)

5km - under 16:00 (current PB 16:34)

5 miles - under 27:00 (current PB 27:34)

10 km - under 34:00 (current PB 34:42)

10 miles - under 55:00 (current PB (56:40)

Half Marathon - under 75:00 (current PB 76:39)

Marathon - under 2hrs 45mins (current PB 2hrs 56mins)

I don't think any of those are out of reach. My training is better than ever and I'm training with an excellent group of runners now. I feel stronger than ever and these targets are only the start!

My advice to any aspiring runner who wants to vastly improve is to join a good club (preferably an athletics club) as you will get lots of quality training in as well as the usual daily runs. Get a coach who has a history of training good athletes and stick to your training. Anyone can improve, all you need to do is be focused.

Good to see you posting again R.I.C.O. (jeez, that's hard to type correctly), you must be far and away the best runner on VT - I'm in awe of those times.

And (not for the first or last time) I echo your advice on joining a club. If the Trimster was around I'm sure he'd agree.

Me, I'm a wimp about running on ice and snow (don't give a hoot about the cold, but I'm worried about falls), so my training has gone to pot. C'est la vie, I'll start again when it clears.

(don't give a hoot about the cold, but I'm worried about falls), so my training has gone to pot.

Yeah that is my situation and I have the added bonus that if you come off in the road someone could run over you :cry:

By the Gods, those times of R.I.C.O.'s look quick - even tho' I am not au fait with fixed-distance running times. Might postpone my start of racing until April (or even May !

That's incredible!! I'm not really a long distance runner so can't compare the other times but I would get nowhere near that and I thought I was pretty fit!

That's incredible!! I'm not really a long distance runner so can't compare the other times but I would get nowhere near that and I thought I was pretty fit!

I'm still hoping to get a sub-20 minutes 5K, but age is not on my side! :(

What's the point of running, again?

Good point, well made!

Run yeself into an early grave (when booze will do it just as quick with no effort whatsoever)

I tend to walk. The furthest I have walked whilst not on a planned hike was walking back from 5 miles outside Worcester to a small village outside Tewkesbury including one 2 mile bus journey with the last of my cash.

I need to go on a hike soon.

I think a few of those targets are ambitious (especially the mile one) but I actually ran a 3000 metre race an hour before I posted that time, next year I won't be as dumb and will just run the one mile race.

I'd also stress that these things take time. I'm not a naturally gifted runner, I used to smoke like a chimney at uni and I was'nt into sports at school (we'd pratt about instead - scoring own goals, going on "strike", dropping the ball etc). My first 10k I ran 45 mins. Everyone has to start from somewhere but everyone can improve if they put the time in!

Â