Running

trimandson

IMO, there's nothing better than waking up early and getting a run in before the day begins. I had always convinced myself that I couldn't wake up early to exercise and still function throughout the day, but I've recently began doing so and I've never felt better.

When do you guys think the best time of the day to run is?

I tend to exercise during the week after work, but it is nice to go first thing sets you up for the rest of the day.

I'm running a 3000 meter cross country on Monday and have no idea 'how' to run it. I wouldn't normally do anything less than a 10k race and rarely go out do do less than 5k. How much faster should I be pushing myself to run?

I'm by no means a fast runner, my last half marathon a week ago was 1:59:35 (which I was very happy with). What is a realistic aim for a 3k?

As it's a 3k, go out as fast as you can. Worst case you have to hang on and slow down for the last 1k or so, but no point starting slow as there isn't enough distance to make up time at the end.
Thanks for the advice everyone. Went out as hard as I could and finished in just over 10 minutes, which was a long way day the field but way beyond any pace I've run before. Still, back to proper distances now.

How many villatalkers are doing the Birmingham Half this year?

That's a great time!! Don't worry about how far down the field you were, focus on beating your previous times rather than other competitors imo. Yes, signed up for the Birmingham Half.

I dont really mind when I run, I have a terrible habit of going out first thing  with no food and then running 10 miles and the last 2 are usually very slow as I have run out of juice.

Around 10 for 3K is really really quick - great stuff.

Being a southern softie no Brum Half for me although will hopefully start doing winter races for the local club post IM (although going to give myself a decent rest this time) - I fancy some cross country racing...

Really enjoying this running thing at the min ....times for 5 k are coming down nicely ....Am i the only one who cant run with head phones? Im basically talking to my self no stop while running as in speed it up a bit rock ahead, need to roast the sweet potato for a soup tomorrow etc :D

Edited by Meath_Villan

On longer easy runs I use the headphones but generally for short or "proper" running I never wear headphones as like to be able to hear my feet as can soon hear if my form has gone to hell.

I have a bad habit of daydreaming (even during races) and it can mess me up a bit, Im really really bad when Im swimming, I lose form really easy - I did 3K open water swim last night and now have sore shoulders as there was a good 500m where I was anywhere but in the lake.

Are sore feet with new shoes normal? They're not bad but just a little niggley during a run.

yes and calves. I have some innersoles given to me by the podiatrist and I cant run more than 10 mins in them - has to be a gradual adaption.

• Like 1

Just a quick q ....as I have no one to ask and googling is giving various answers .....is a 5k of 24:53 a decent time for a lad to have done after two months of "jogging" , mid 30s quite bulky on a non even terrain 

Only good or bad compared to your previous achievements.

Sub 20 min 5k seems to be the magic figure where people consider you a quick runner.

Do you do Parkrun?

Only good or bad compared to your previous achievements.

Sub 20 min 5k seems to be the magic figure where people consider you a quick runner.

Do you do Parkrun?

I managed my goal of a sub 20min 5k the other week, couldn't speak or breath soon after the 5k but managed it anyway :lol:

So basically only quickish for 5k, not anything further.

I will never get sub 20 .....I just felt kinda happy after getting that time it was an off track run, I just spent the whole day in work saying i'm gonna do it and ran till I could run no more ......Just wanted to know was it a decent time for a novice....I want to park up that time and try and push out for a few 10ks

Edited by Meath_Villan

Just a quick q ....as I have no one to ask and googling is giving various answers .....is a 5k of 24:53 a decent time for a lad to have done after two months of "jogging" , mid 30s quite bulky on a non even terrain 

Yes- I'm mid 30's, chunky, a jogger rather than a runner, and mainly run on uneven canal tow paths and I struggle to break 30 minutes. If i could get anywhere near that i'd be well happy!

• Like 1

Ive been nursing an injury to my Patella Ligament, Quad Ligament and a bursa in my knee. Will need to ease my self back into fitness to start playing football again. Anybody have any experience with this type of injury and a running routine to get back into it?

Ive been nursing an injury to my Patella Ligament, Quad Ligament and a bursa in my knee. Will need to ease my self back into fitness to start playing football again. Anybody have any experience with this type of injury and a running routine to get back into it?

Nope, but I'm coming back from a calf injury and hope it won't be too much longer. When I do come back from an injury, though, I find it helps to run with someone else, if possible, who is slower than you. I have the habit of overexerting myself after a period of recovery and reaggravating the injury. Running with someone who keeps that in check is helpful to me.

Getting side stitch now in every run its costing me about 10-20 seconds per km ..it happens about 1 kilometre in until the 3rd I have tried more hydration not eating, eating, less hydration just getting annoying now

Â