Running

trimandson

Mike uses common sense.

EDIT. To elaborate: I use a Garmin (and MapMyRun) to work out approximate distances and times for training purposes. That's all you really need, that and what your body is telling you. PBs only matter in races - and the organisers do that for you. People are starting to overthink running - the beauty of which is (unless you're a pro athlete) that it's a simple sport.

I sort of agree although I like to keep my data, mostly in training peaks as it helps me plan and calculate training load over a set period of time for my triathlon lark. Its more improtant for cycling as I can see trends (using power), as faster in say a time trial doesnt necessarily mean better due to conditions etc, when power will show exactly how much power I generated.

I tend to upload to strava (automatically) as a by product of this. I know what you mean though as most of my sessions I leave the watch on for warm up and sometimes even stretching. It means things like avergae pace become pointless, especially if Im doing a speed session or fartlek as Im usually running full out for anything between 30 secs and 2 minutes and then jogging for the next couple of mins.

Also from a purely ego point of view its nice to grab the odd KOM, I took the bike course record (since they changed the course) at the triathlon I did last week and that made me very happy :-)

as a new runner/jogger the app is essential :D .......Strava seemed to be a bit more accurate than runkeeper but I miss the 5 min updates through the headphones, I was never in to running but now its a 4 day a week 5k and Im enjoying it 

I hurted my calf 6 days ago for the first time in my life, i was running on the threadmill and after 40 mins it felt like someone stuck me with a knife in my left calf.

I tried to run again yesterday but after 1 min the pain came back, i can walk fast without feeling any pain, but as soon as i start to run it come back.

It's driving me insane not to be able to run, any tips on how i can heal this as fast as possible ?

Probably why.

All you can do is try and keep off it for a few days. Then try slow, light running and see if it flares up again. If so, rest a bit more.

I'd stay off the treadmill though. Evil things.

Tried to run again today and after 10 mins it flared up again, driving me nuts not being able to run.

iam thinking about seeing a physio now, as i cant go on like this, have been out for 2 weeks now.

I do alot of weightlifting aswell and i currently weigh 98 kgs, maybe it's not ideal to run like i do when you weigh 98kgs.

Edited by Ikantcpell

My first running only race since the marathon in May and managed 5th place and a new pb of 37.16. Very pleased as my achillies is still a bit sore and only did my first speed session for a while on friday.

I hurted my calf 6 days ago for the first time in my life, i was running on the threadmill and after 40 mins it felt like someone stuck me with a knife in my left calf.

I tried to run again yesterday but after 1 min the pain came back, i can walk fast without feeling any pain, but as soon as i start to run it come back.

It's driving me insane not to be able to run, any tips on how i can heal this as fast as possible ?

Probably why.

All you can do is try and keep off it for a few days. Then try slow, light running and see if it flares up again. If so, rest a bit more.

I'd stay off the treadmill though. Evil things.

Tried to run again today and after 10 mins it flared up again, driving me nuts not being able to run.

iam thinking about seeing a physio now, as i cant go on like this, have been out for 2 weeks now.

I do alot of weightlifting aswell and i currently weigh 98 kgs, maybe it's not ideal to run like i do when you weigh 98kgs.

I agree a physio or at least a massage. Also do some accentric calf raises.

After my first HM in 2014, continued to log the miles and got in some longer runs, following the advice on here from Darren and Andy. Knocked 9 minutes off my HM PB at the Liverpool half last month, was 20 seconds from being under 95 minutes.....next time maybe!! Anyway got a 10k this weekend, so PB hunting. However the main goal is Bournemouth marathon in October followed by Brighton marathon next year!!

• Like 1

Awesome guys, glad to see the pbs are coming along nicely. 95 for a half is really good, definately sub 45 for 10k, maybe even try for a low 40.

I finally joined the local Basingstoke club earlier this week, they seemed keen for me to join which is always nice. I think a constant rise in competition in both training and races will help push me along. Would really like to win a race that isnt parkrun....

Starting to get closer and closer to my main race of the season which is IM Maryland at beginning of October, not done so well in the long events, but feeling more confident about this one.

I'm running a 3000 meter cross country on Monday and have no idea 'how' to run it. I wouldn't normally do anything less than a 10k race and rarely go out do do less than 5k. How much faster should I be pushing myself to run?

I'm by no means a fast runner, my last half marathon a week ago was 1:59:35 (which I was very happy with). What is a realistic aim for a 3k?

I'm running a 3000 meter cross country on Monday and have no idea 'how' to run it. I wouldn't normally do anything less than a 10k race and rarely go out do do less than 5k. How much faster should I be pushing myself to run?

I'm by no means a fast runner, my last half marathon a week ago was 1:59:35 (which I was very happy with). What is a realistic aim for a 3k?

Push as hard as you can right from the very start. Get your legs moving quickly. There's no time to build up so go fast right from the start and try to hang on. Make sure you warm up properly though.

For an estimate of time, I'd just take your 5k time and half it. It's obviously more than half, but you can push harder for the shorter distance.

• Like 1

Yeah good advice which generally i apply to anything up to half marathon, or at least for me, sometimes going out hard doesnt work for me and i crash badly, but nearly all my pbs have come from me going out fast and recovering as i go.

As it's a 3k, go out as fast as you can. Worst case you have to hang on and slow down for the last 1k or so, but no point starting slow as there isn't enough distance to make up time at the end.

Awesome guys, glad to see the pbs are coming along nicely. 95 for a half is really good, definately sub 45 for 10k, maybe even try for a low 40.

I finally joined the local Basingstoke club earlier this week, they seemed keen for me to join which is always nice. I think a constant rise in competition in both training and races will help push me along. Would really like to win a race that isnt parkrun....

Starting to get closer and closer to my main race of the season which is IM Maryland at beginning of October, not done so well in the long events, but feeling more confident about this one.

Ironman, nice...that's a good "A" race to have! Finished 10k in just under 42 mins, happy with that as didn't think I would get under 42 this year that was my 2016 target, which now needs to be revised!!

Edited by SteveMac
  • Like 1

Ironman, nice...that's a good "A" race to have! Finished 10k in just under 42 mins, happy with that as didn't think I would get under 42 this year that was my 2016 target, which now needs to be revised!!

Which 10k?

Which 10k?

Wythall & Hollywood. No chip timing (I started towards the front), but only a small race, around 800 for both a 5k and 10k. Quite a nice route actually.

Which 10k?

Wythall & Hollywood. No chip timing (I started towards the front), but only a small race, around 800 for both a 5k and 10k. Quite a nice route actually.

I know loads of people who did that. I asked because it had to be either Wythall or Timberhonger :)

As it's a 3k, go out as fast as you can. Worst case you have to hang on and slow down for the last 1k or so, but no point starting slow as there isn't enough distance to make up time at the end.
Thanks for the advice everyone. Went out as hard as I could and finished in just over 10 minutes, which was a long way day the field but way beyond any pace I've run before. Still, back to proper distances now.

How many villatalkers are doing the Birmingham Half this year?

IMO, there's nothing better than waking up early and getting a run in before the day begins. I had always convinced myself that I couldn't wake up early to exercise and still function throughout the day, but I've recently began doing so and I've never felt better.

When do you guys think the best time of the day to run is?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Went out as hard as I could and finished in just over 10 minutes, which was a long way day the field but way beyond any pace I've run before. Still, back to proper distances now.

How many villatalkers are doing the Birmingham Half this year?

Not this year. I've done it for the last few years but on the bike for a while now.

Just over 10 mins? I'd revisit your half marathon time then. That's 6 min miles. So potentially you're a 20min 5k runner and a 90 min half marathon.

Achilles tendonitis is really pissing me off

I want to run every day but i can't because it takes about a week for the soreness to go away i don't want to push myself and rupture it either

Kinda shitty being restricted to one long run a week i suppose i could do shorter distances but i like long ones

Â