Running

trimandson

Finally did a 5k for that darkness into light ....and I haven't stopped I run twice a week ...I used to find in boring but im enjoying it and entering as many 5k runs as possible next step is a 10 k run by the end of summer

Last time i tried to start running i just found it incredibly boring. How do you guys get the motivation to do it?

I was the same until I got myself a GPS watch and started analyzing my running a bit more. I now run twice a week, once during the week over 5k where I try to beat my previous weeks time, and once at the weekend where I try to increase my previous weekends distance without stopping. I'm not the quickest or the fittest, but actually seeing your improvement on the computer screen in front of you will push you to go on. Just make it a little competition with yourself.

I've also tried to fit an event in when I get to a distance landmark. The first time that I ever ran 10km was during the Birmingham 10k last month, and as my stamina improves I'm looking for a 10 mile event to break my distance record in. Then who knows, half marathon and full marathon....... ;)

• Like 1

Last time i tried to start running i just found it incredibly boring. How do you guys get the motivation to do it?

Because i feel awesome after doing it, once your warm you'll find a rhythm and its a lot easier, then once finished feel amazing.

Also get through shit load of audio books whilst running.

Because i feel awesome after doing it, once your warm you'll find a rhythm and its a lot easier, then once finished feel amazing.

Also get through shit load of audio books whilst running.

Interesting, I never thought to do audio books, is amazon the best place for these? I tend to only use music when I am doing a recovery run or something long (which is probably more than half my running) as otherwise I prefer to be able to hear my feet as I can tell alot about my form by how much noise my feet are making - I know that I am running well when people crap themselves when I run past them.

I never found running outdoors to be boring.

Hard, yes. I **** hate running :D

But not boring. I tended to just get lost in my own thoughts.

On a treadmill, however. Running on a treadmill is the most boring activity of all time

Very rarely do I wear my Villa shirt to run in (mainly because Ive lost alot of weight since I last bought one and it hangs a bit), but thought I would represent at parkrun this morning and ended up winning - hopefully a good omen.

Knocked out a 17-mile run from just north of Acre to Haifa, Israel the other day while visiting my brother. 2h3m. I don't usually measure or time my runs, so I was pleasantly surprised with my time. I think that puts me in the 90-minute range for a half marathon. I've never run a competitive race, so I may just give one a shot sometime this summer.

• Like 3

Myself & the missus decided we'd start running last Thursday, we found a nice flat 3k patch gone 5 times since, I've been pilling on the pounds since last November and was about 3 stone over weight, almost have the first one gone now though and determined to get rid of the rest.

I was around 20mins the first night as I forgot to stop the clock so not really sure.

Around 18mins the 2nd night.

16m 30secs the 3rd night.

16m 25secs the 4th night.

14m 57secs last night said I'd try sprint the last 150m that way.

You can't improve that fast. Any increase in speed in 1 week is purely from confidence or mental attitude, or just trying a bit harder.

Well done though. Just saying your speed increase isn't from getting fitter, so you've got that to look forward to.

( you can improve a little bit in a week, but not 5 mins over 3k :) )

Myself & the missus decided we'd start running last Thursday, we found a nice flat 3k patch gone 5 times since, I've been pilling on the pounds since last November and was about 3 stone over weight, almost have the first one gone now though and determined to get rid of the rest.

I was around 20mins the first night as I forgot to stop the clock so not really sure.

Around 18mins the 2nd night.

16m 30secs the 3rd night.

16m 25secs the 4th night.

14m 57secs last night said I'd try sprint the last 150m that way.

Sorry to be a spoil sport but you'll be getting an injury sooner rather than later running without breaks, especially if your a little over weight large amount of pressure on your knees.

Keep it up though, just have a day break in between especially if on concrete.

Edited by VillaForever1970
  • Like 2

14m10 tonight, see the first night I'd to walk for a bit because I was wrecked, honestly thought i was way slower tonight until i heard 4m1sec for my first km. Tonight was our 6th night in 11 so not going every night. I wasn't completely unfit, I'd play soccer twice a week but that's completely different to running, I was off 3 weeks with an ankle injury & hadn't done anything but really feel I'm back in the zone at the moment, eating well, gyming days I'm not running too.

Had an email through from Strava today letting me know that someone had broken my KoM - fair enough I thought, there's plenty of room for improvement on my time - I logged on and it seems they've done it in half the time, averaging 1:24min per km up a 10% hill...  

Why people bother with that nonsense, I have no idea (unless they really are a world class athlete, sprinting all over segments around a town in Cornwall!)

A little while back, I suffered a shitty foot injury. I put on weight as I actually felt I couldn't run.

Today I decided enough was enough (well, last week to be honest), and I just finished a 20 minute run (followed by 4 miles high pace on bike).

**** hell I missed this...

Feel so good!

• Like 2

Had an email through from Strava today letting me know that someone had broken my KoM - fair enough I thought, there's plenty of room for improvement on my time - I logged on and it seems they've done it in half the time, averaging 1:24min per km up a 10% hill...

Why people bother with that nonsense, I have no idea (unless they really are a world class athlete, sprinting all over segments around a town in Cornwall!)

Just flag it.

Â