Running

trimandson

Running the other night and went a bit quick, soon felt a bit of a strange pain in my frontal member, but carried on running. Got home and went for a wee and neat blood came out with clots in it. It really shook me up and I went to the emergency gp. He said it was a bladder infection and gave me antibiotics. I looked into it and apparently there's a well known condition where if you run with a fully empty bladder, the walls can rub and bleed. Went out 2 days later and it happened again but a bit less. Went out yesterday and all clear with no pain. Now I'll make sure I don't have a fully empty bladder before running.

Holy shit, that sounds unpleasant, will make sure to keep hydrated.

How's your PB quest going at the moment?

I was going to have a crack at PB tomorrow but pulled my hamstring on Monday night so no running for another few days at least. Also 4 weeks to the big one (that I've been training a year for) so may just park the all out efforts until after. Still no running has got me doing more swimming which can only be a good thing.

I'm probably about as quick as I've been so with good conditions I could probably dip below 20 tomorrow morning. I hate knowing that though. I feel so much pressure from knowing I have to push hard tomorrow, I wish I could just grab a 19.59 so I can relax a bit.

I also enjoyed lots of swimming on holiday so I think I'll try some tris.

Has anyone had problems with shin injuries/shin splints??

I had upped the mileage and intensity of my training runs and about a month ago did a 10k race but had to stop after that for about 3 weeks because of shin pain. Pretty much cleared up then started running again last week. Did a 10k race yesterday and I'm crippled again today.

The pain is on the inside of my shin bone, just above my ankle.

I've had shin splints before but the pain was more on the front/outside part of my shin.

I don't want to be told to rest for 2 months :-(....any other miracle cures?

Have been icing & bought some ibuprofen gel last week.

If you got to rest you have to rest

More training on an existing injury will make it worse the body needs time to repair itself

My advice would be to do something like Swimming where there is no impact on your shins and it is still a good fitness workout

• 2 weeks later...

Had my 5th session today running on the roads, found a nice route i can take which involves running to the local park and just doing laps around it before coming home, downloaded map my run and I'm getting better with each run.

Found my pace now and when i checked the splits after they were all within 10-15 seconds per km, final distance was 7.19 km in 38:31, very happy with that.

• Like 1

Yeah you find your natural tick pace which you can comfortably stay at. The trick then is to get that faster, which is where speed work comes in.

I have quite a steep hill i can run up.

Would you recommend one day a week doing punishing hill runs, e.g run up it and walk back down, repeat until exhausted...

Is that something that would be beneficial in the long run?

Anything repeated until exhaustion doesn’t sound good to me... You want to run to a point below exhaustion. Thats why HR is a great gauge, you find your maximum and then train in various zones. When you are truly exhausted the amount of time it takes to recover will be much longer than if you trained to near exhaustion.

Yeah you find your natural tick pace which you can comfortably stay at. The trick then is to get that faster, which is where speed work comes in.

I have quite a steep hill i can run up.

Would you recommend one day a week doing punishing hill runs, e.g run up it and walk back down, repeat until exhausted...

Is that something that would be beneficial in the long run?

I found track speed work really beneficial. You find a running track nearby then run 400 metres hard (about 8/10 effort), then 100 metres very slow jog (recovery, 2/10 effort), then 400 metres hard again, then 100 metres recovery and keep doing that for however long you want, but 30-40 mins sounds reasonable to me.

Otherwise, the hill efforts I've done which I liked were the 1,2,3 efforts. You warm up for a mile or 2, then:

1 min: run as hard as you can to sustain the speed for 1 min

1 min: recovery

2 mins: run as hard as you can to sustain the speed for 2 mins

3 mins: run as hard as you can to sustain the speed for 3 mins

Do those for about 3 or 4 reps. Ignore if you're doing up or downhill, the randomness of it will help. Sometimes you'll have to run hard uphill, sometimes down.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ran my first marathon yesterday in 4:27:29. Not a blistering pace by my own (shorter race) standards. It was though, 30 degrees and I had already swam 3.8k and biked 180k.

Also got a big tick on the bucket list.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So I've started running again after about a year out, and I've jumped into it 5 times a week. However, my route is entirely on concrete and my knees are now in pain whenever I walk (or try to run). I suspect it's a case of too much, too soon because I used to run the same route without any pain, only 3 times a week instead of 5. Anyone got any similar experiences?

• 1 month later...

So I've started running again after about a year out, and I've jumped into it 5 times a week. However, my route is entirely on concrete and my knees are now in pain whenever I walk (or try to run). I suspect it's a case of too much, too soon because I used to run the same route without any pain, only 3 times a week instead of 5. Anyone got any similar experiences?

I'm slightly similar in that i've had major problems with my knees over the years  ... i've made a few comebacks but they've usually halted as a result of pain / discomfort and work

however I've been back playing football , tennis and badminton for nearly a year now ..as well as some treadmill running to help the fitness

I still get a little bit of discomfort but its a case of managing and listening to my body 

yesterday i thought I'd replace my running shoes as it was long over due .... I've always had Asics running shoes for as long as I can remember  , went into the shops yesterday and came out with a pair of Brooks instead 

I'd never heard of them before but the man in the shop recommended them so I tried them along with the Asics and a couple of other  .....  man they are just soooooo comfortable  ... I even knocked 17 sec of my PB today , which of course is all down to the shoe  :D

check them out in your local sweatshop if you can , imo they have just that little bit more cushioning than the other brands I've tried ..but without making you bounce like a kangaroo when you run  ..first proper run in them today and it was just such a noticeable difference , my knees aren't aching now i'm back at my desk like they would always do previously

Edited by tonyh29

Running on concrete you should always have a days rest in-between, otherwise your knee’s are going to be screwed. Unless your a lucky bastard and weight about 1 pound.

If you want to run 5 times a week break it up with some off road stuff.

Edited by VillaForever1970

yesterday i thought I'd replace my running shoes as it was long over due .... I've always had Asics running shoes for as long as I can remember  , went into the shops yesterday and came out with a pair of Brooks instead 

I'd never heard of them before but the man in the shop recommended them so I tried them along with the Asics and a couple of other  .....  man they are just soooooo comfortable  ... I even knocked 17 sec of my PB today , which of course is all down to the shoe  :D

check them out in your local sweatshop if you can , imo they have just that little bit more cushioning than the other brands I've tried ..but without making you bounce like a kangaroo when you run  ..first proper run in them today and it was just such a noticeable difference , my knees aren't aching now i'm back at my desk like they would always do previously

I have a pair of Brooks that I bought earlier this year and they cost me a fortune but when out and about running they didnt do so well, so now I use them for trips to gym etc. They are very well padded but I found that this encourages bad habits with running technique. I now use these for running http://www.wiggle.co.uk/saucony-type-a6-shoes-aw14 and there isnt too much to them, but its much easier to run of the front or middle of the foot which encourages better form. I was originally concerned with running longer distances in them but done a few Halves and my IM Marathon in them with no issues. I have even bought another pair for when my current ones die a death. I'm not too sure how good they are going to be off-road in the winter, so I may have to go back to my gore-tex Nikes.

Â