May 2024 Local Elections

Jareth

As the local election results come in the Tories are hours away from all out civil war and they are gunning for Sunak. Sunak has not ruled out July as an election date in order to head off a leadership challenge - of course he would take action at that point, he's looking after himself. It's close.

I think it's inevitable that the Tories get a humiliating defeat at the Election - so the question becomes why they hold on - vanity, personal benefit, creating a big mess to leave for Labour?

If they think they can get more of any of those things I think they'll hang on for as long as they can.

I'm not sure Sunak will make it beyond July, his Missus will be keen to get to California before the school year starts.

I worked the elections yesterday and got the chance to chat to representatives from most of the major parties.  No-one was senior enough to have insider information but everyone is gearing up for October.  

The 6 weeks holidays are a terrible time to hold an election.  Its difficult to get polling staff and campaign staff. A large percentage of the electorate is away from home and probably will not vote.  For that reason I would rule out August.  

I have worked a winter election.  Its grim.  Snowfall or heavy rain cuts the turnout massively, especially with the pensioner electorate.  As they tend to be a higher percentage of Tory voters I would rule out November and December. 

My guess would be June (if there is a Tory civil war) or October. 

A lot of the Tory representatives seemed to accept they are going to take a real hammering at the next election.  But they are using it as an opportunity to show they are rebuilding the party and are good bets for future nominations. 

The Liberals are back to their decades long mindset.  They don't stand a chance but just want to achieve enough to be the third largest party. 

Labour representatives are chomping at the bit.  They are either with Starmer or accept that he's their man whether they like him or not.  Many clearly don't.  

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's inevitable that the Tories get a humiliating defeat at the Election - so the question becomes why they hold on - vanity, personal benefit, creating a big mess to leave for Labour

The earlier they call the election the less time they have getting paid and being in their ministry. Of course they will leave it until the bitter end before the election is called. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Watching these results with popcorn. Conservative intra warfare is something to watch. So much ambition, bitterness and ego and privilege stabbing itself. Honestly think they have been waiting for the event of the locals to go nuclear, and attack sunak. 

Edited by Jareth

Sunak will want October but if this is a utter bloodbath he may not be in a position to stop an early summer election. 

It would have saved everyone's time and money if they held it yesterday along with the local elections and crime commissioners.

To quote Monty Python this is a dead government and if it wasn't nailed to the perch it would be pushing up daises by now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It would have saved everyone's time and money if they held it yesterday along with the local elections and crime commissioners. 

But his whole tenure is based upon sending an asylum seeker to Rwanda. 

We are literally waiting for 1 person to be deported in order to meet a political promise.  

What a joke. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

1 person on a 747 at a total cost of about a billion pounds and this government will be celebrating their success.

It’s like Brexit again in that they want the focus to be on getting something done, even if the something is complete and utter madness that benefits nobody.

Nobody will be buying that and deciding to vote Tory because of it.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nobody will be buying that and deciding to vote Tory because of it.

Some people still think Brexit was a success and Boris was a nice bloke doing the best he could. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Some people still think Brexit was a success and Boris was a nice bloke doing the best he could. 

True, but that group is shrinking by the day

22 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

We need a complete reset of the political landscape at the moment. It's a shambles.

Go Reform!

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Go Reform!

Imagine how awesome it will be when the Home Office is staffed entirely with “believers”! 

There is a danger surely that Reform get an offer from the conservatives to effectively take over the party and they step down. They say they won't, but it would be madness to believe them, they've done it before. It wouldn't be enough I think, but it's possibly the only scenario where the tories don't get wiped out. 

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

There is a danger surely that Reform get an offer from the conservatives to effectively take over the party and they step down. They say they won't, but it would be madness to believe them, they've done it before. It wouldn't be enough I think, but it's possibly the only scenario where the tories don't get wiped out. 

I don’t think the Tories are going to hand over the keys to their party to Reform, who currently have 1 MP and zero councillors, if that’s what you’re implying?

The Tories have survived being outflanked on the right by upstart parties before. It doesn’t tend to last long.

Â