World Snooker Championship 2024

rjw63

Just been watching the Trump game and now the Higgins game.

Do my eyes deceive me or is there some nutter in the audience dressed as a Star Trek Borg?

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Just been watching the Trump game and now the Higgins game.

Do my eyes deceive me or is there some nutter in the audience dressed as a Star Trek Borg?

There's a guy that appears to have half his head tattooed blue

3 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

There's a guy that appears to have half his head tattooed blue

That's who I meant :crylaugh:

Just now, rjw63 said:

That's who I meant :crylaugh:

Haha. I've genuinely no idea what he is supposed to be, or if it's fancy dress, or if that's actually his day to day look.

Lisowski should have pissed that frame but thirty odd points away in fouls and an unreal miss on a pink has shafted him.

Snd why are those two clowns in the audience wearing identical shirts 🤡🤡

Edited by rjw63
Keeeeenanism

7 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Fair play to Higgins that finish under that pressure was as good as it gets. That was a great match and Mark Allen was really gracious in defeat. Class acts. 

To have the bottle to play that double knowing its make or you're out, especially after having missed the long red at the start of the frame, leaving the plant, was incredible

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrchnry said:

Snooker needs a Luke Littler or something. It's gone a bit stale now. 

The game is dying on its arse and has been for years. Just like test cricket there's no life in it. Young people in the British Isles aren't dodging school heading to the snooker club to play & smoke and there are fewer and fewer places to play snooker. Pool tables are being removed from pubs which is also a gateway into the game.  Terrestrial television coverage is poor and shrinking as the years pass. The game is stuck in the past, talking about history and heritage with the same old war horses still plodding along after 20 years at the top. It's also a slow game that isn't going to appeal to the TikTok generation or big brands.

The future is loads of Chinese players playing for world titles in Riyadh with very few Western Europeans involved. 

12 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Hoping for a Higgins / Ronnie final.

Good grief no. Snooker needs to move from the class of 92. It isn't a great look for a so-called global sport when two of the favourites are pushing 50 and all of the quarter-finals come from Britain. Nearly 20 years on from Ding we are still waiting for a Chinese winner.

Edited by The Fun Factory

10 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Good grief no. Snooker needs to move from the class of 92. It isn't a great look for a so-called global sport when two of the favourites are pushing 50 and all of the quarter-finals come from Britain. Nearly 20 years on from Ding we are still waiting for a Chinese winner.

Yeah I get it, but I want to see them battle it out one final time. Would like to see Wilson and Maguire press on from here too tbh.

18 hours ago, villa89 said:

The game is dying on its arse and has been for years. Just like test cricket there's no life in it. Young people in the British Isles aren't dodging school heading to the snooker club to play & smoke and there are fewer and fewer places to play snooker. Pool tables are being removed from pubs which is also a gateway into the game.  Terrestrial television coverage is poor and shrinking as the years pass. The game is stuck in the past, talking about history and heritage with the same old war horses still plodding along after 20 years at the top. It's also a slow game that isn't going to appeal to the TikTok generation or big brands.

The future is loads of Chinese players playing for world titles in Riyadh with very few Western Europeans involved. 

Trump made a point in a chat with Hendry about moving the game along. Hendry still wants it stiff and proper like it always has been. Ties, waistcoats, shoes etc... whereas Trumps says he feels uneasy in the gear and would like them to move away from that and be more comfortable. Sleeve sponsors, names on the back of shirts - he likens it to football shirts where people want their favourite players name on their tops. Modernise the game and get merchandise on the go.

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Trump made a point in a chat with Hendry about moving the game along. Hendry still wants it stiff and proper like it always has been. Ties, waistcoats, shoes etc... whereas Trumps says he feels uneasy in the gear and would like them to move away from that and be more comfortable. Sleeve sponsors, names on the back of shirts - he likens it to football shirts where people want their favourite players name on their tops. Modernise the game and get merchandise on the go.

Won't make a blind bit of difference in my opinion. Flogging Merch isn't going to save snooker (mainly because nobody will be buying it), just like changing test cricket from playing in white to playing in the same kit as the one dayers won't make any difference either. Snooker is a niche sport, and it's very difficult to see how its future will go, apart from the dominance of China.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Won't make a blind bit of difference in my opinion. Flogging Merch isn't going to save snooker (mainly because nobody will be buying it), just like changing test cricket from playing in white to playing in the same kit as the one dayers won't make any difference either. Snooker is a niche sport, and it's very difficult to see how its future will go, apart from the dominance of China.  

So dominant that they are yet to win the world championship? Snooker got lucky in the 80s along wth darts along with other sports because football was being run by amateurs. If I am making a guess it will go the way as other sports to the oil states  and in a shorter format.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Â