Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

How good has he been defensively? Because defensive nous and steel is what we most need in midfield…

Not a big fan of his but happy for us to add depth in an area where we are light, as long as it’s a free transfer and low wages - not a player that deserves to be anywhere near our highest paid ones. Or anywhere near a guaranteed starter.

Maybe just a backup option to our higher priorities…

He was only on £30k per week at Luton.

Does anyone not remember we actually had barkley here....is it only me?

He was kind of not good enough when he was younger and we had less aspirations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Barkley hasn't been playing as a DM for Luton, he would never play as one of the two in midfield for us, as we would be completely overun if we tried that, at Luton he was playing in a three man midfield, and often had three defenders behind him.

Tielemans and McGinn would be ahead of Barkley for a place in our two man central midfield, and they aren't ideal

The only way I can see us wanting Barkley is if we can't get Gallagher or some other box-to-box midfielder, so see bring in Barkley has a short-term stop gap

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If Barkley’s form has been as good as it’s claimed to be at Luton, then I’m not complaining about having him in a free and cheaper wages..

when he was with us, he looked amazing at times, but lacked the consistency desired. If he’s now found it, happy days 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

How good has he been defensively? Because defensive nous and steel is what we most need in midfield…

Not a big fan of his but happy for us to add depth in an area where we are light, as long as it’s a free transfer and low wages - not a player that deserves to be anywhere near our highest paid ones. Or anywhere near a guaranteed starter.

Maybe just a backup option to our higher priorities…

I’m not too sure, I haven’t watched a lot of Luton and it’s hard to say as they weren’t great this season. However from what I did see he was decent in that role and overall I thought he had a pretty good season. I think his strength has been ball retention.

I’m fine with us signing him as I look at it as an upgrade on Chambers/Dendoncker. On a 2 year deal maybe?

3 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Thought he was more of a box to box player for Luton this season

He's played as one of the two 6s centrally. Sometimes the more defensive player (after the Nakamaba injury). He has very high ball recovery stats and very low loss of possession. Which is what you want there

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

It depends what you judge him on. Last season or a few seasons ago? 

Watkins for example is a different player now to 3 years ago. Bailey is a good example of a player who last season is a much better player than before.

I think Barkley changing position has lead to him improving form

This could also be Ross’s agent using names to engineer a move somewhere. Clubs express interest or speak to various names, it doesn’t always mean a move will materialise. Or interest will go further. Let’s wait and see. 

6 minutes ago, Nigel said:

No mate, just you. Are you thinking of Leandro Bacuna? Easy mistake to make.

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It depends what you judge him on. Last season or a few seasons ago? 

Watkins for example is a different player now to 3 years ago. Bailey is a good example of a player who last season is a much better player than before.

I think Barkley changing position has lead to him improving form

This is a good point, if we were linked to 2022-23 Leon Bailey, pretty much nobody here would want us to sign him.  

Emery seems to be able to get players to perform to their absolute peak, no reason why he couldn't do that with Barkley.

27 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He was only on £30k per week at Luton.

Yeah but he’ll want more to move and expect it from a top club like ours…

28 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Yeah but tbf his role has changed and he has adapted to a new way of playing and position… but I’m not a big fan either. If it’s a cheap and cheerful deal then I don’t have much of an objection, we need to boost the squad and save the big bucks for a real injection of genuine, top class ability. CL is a big step up.

28 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I’m not too sure, I haven’t watched a lot of Luton and it’s hard to say as they weren’t great this season. However from what I did see he was decent in that role and overall I thought he had a pretty good season. I think his strength has been ball retention.

I’m fine with us signing him as I look at it as an upgrade on Chambers/Dendoncker. On a 2 year deal maybe?

I haven’t either but I don’t think he’s been or is an actual DM… more of a deep lying player that creates and drives forwards… surrounded by hard working players in that side.

Not really comparable to the likes of Dendoncker and Chambers, different profile, but we need to get rid of them and upgrade for sure. Dont think Ross is that player but would give us some depth, an extra option.

Tbh, prefer we didn’t sign him and got someone better but if money is tight then it’s probably an intelligent and short term move that may help. Save our budget for higher priority and higher class signings… like a proper, defensive DM.

• Like 1

everything seems be pointing towards us selling tim given how little time and faith emery put in him. Chambers we will also be hoping to get rid off.

Barkley is better than both of them so I don't mind the signing if cheap (not sure if actually confirmed he would be free transfer?) and we still sign another defensive mid.

That would give us midfield options of Luiz, Tielemans, Mcginn, Barkley, Kamara, New DM. 

• Like 1

Just a gentle reminder:

We are going to see a lot of fake BS rumours and links throughout the window… only a few will have any truth to them.

Agents getting their clients names out there to attract interest and get better contract offers/renewals.

• Like 1

Please god no to Ross Barkley 

Fair play to him for reigniting his career, he’s done really well, but we all saw the worst of Barkley in his time with us; slow, unathletic and injury prone. We just do not need to bring him back, leave him to look good in a relegation side with no pressure would be my recommendation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

everything seems be pointing towards us selling tim given how little time and faith emery put in him. Chambers we will also be hoping to get rid off.

Barkley is better than both of them so I don't mind the signing if cheap (not sure if actually confirmed he would be free transfer?) and we still sign another defensive mid.

That would give us midfield options of Luiz, Tielemans, Mcginn, Barkley, Kamara, New DM. 

I see no evidence he’s given up on Tim. Not sure where this narrative has come from 

Â