Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Not at all. We have done some very good business ourselves but 1-2 we have yet to get what we paid for. Palace's business over the last 3 years has been really good, can't think of a bad deal. Just feel they should be acknowledged for that.

Their business has generally been good but still a couple of misses in my opinion -

Going off Transfermarkt -

Franca £20m - not done much

Henderson £17.5m - been backup until Johnstone got injured

Edouard £15m - been meh

19 hours ago, paul514 said:

Sangare is a good physical destroyer, the question mark is his passing and form this season now he is in the PL

https://fbref.com/en/players/bced0375/scout/365_m1/Ibrahim-Sangare-Scouting-Report

If they just want someone to break the play and give it to someone else he works.

I think we need someone more similar to Kamara - so able to break up play AND then keep hold of the ball, resist a press and release the ball effectively.  This stops Dougie being our main / only midfield outlet and means that we can try and get McGinn and Rogers on the ball higher up the pitch where they are more effective.  We need round pegs for round holes.  I don't think the way Emery wants us to play is open to compromise by shoe-horning players in whose job doesn't fit with the way we play.  In general I think most of your suggestions fit this model pretty well.  But alarm bells ring for me when the question mark on a player is their passing ability.  That is the central theme of the way we play and I think having 1 player that struggles with that will weaken the whole structure.  (Unless of course they've just not had a passing role in their current team OR Emery and the team think that they can rapidly improve that part of the player's game.)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, allani said:

I think we need someone more similar to Kamara - so able to break up play AND then keep hold of the ball, resist a press and release the ball effectively.  This stops Dougie being our main / only midfield outlet and means that we can try and get McGinn and Rogers on the ball higher up the pitch where they are more effective.  We need round pegs for round holes.  I don't think the way Emery wants us to play is open to compromise by shoe-horning players in whose job doesn't fit with the way we play.  In general I think most of your suggestions fit this model pretty well.  But alarm bells ring for me when the question mark on a player is their passing ability.  That is the central theme of the way we play and I think having 1 player that struggles with that will weaken the whole structure.  (Unless of course they've just not had a passing role in their current team OR Emery and the team think that they can rapidly improve that part of the player's game.)

Dendoncker comes to mind and how he really didn’t fit the way we play. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

because like i said i think we'll sign a midfielder who compliments him, while at the same time do a better job than luiz of covering him

i dont see us signing a player that is a straight up DMC and its a case of 1 or the other in a rotation

my preference would be Thuram with us then having a starting 1st choice midfield of thuram, kamara and luiz, should kamara be out then thuram can cover 

Exactly this.  Kamara isn't a straight up DMC - he's good on the ball, got a good pass on him and is able to resist the press very well.  I think we need another player just like him (or very similar).  This gives us immediate cover - and hopefully we'll have enough football to keep everyone happy.  But more to the point it means that there will be matches / situations where it makes sense to play a trio like you suggest - who can protect our defensive line better and still transition the ball quickly and effectively to ensure that we are a major threat following a breakdown.  It is all about options and giving us as much balance as possible.  We've tried Luiz / McGinn as a central two for far too long - they're both excellent players playing in completely the wrong position at the moment.  The more we can keep them in their right positions the better.

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

Dendoncker comes to mind and how he really didn’t fit the way we play. 

I mean he's not at the same level but Nakamba is another.  It's not about getting a more marvellous version of Nakamba.  It's about signing a player who gives us the balance the team require.  A straight out / destructive DCM type player doesn't do that any better than having to play Luiz in a DCM role alongside McGinn.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Palace have made some very astute signings from the Championship - Eze, Olise and Wharton for a combined £40-45m is only slightly more than we paid for Buendia. I actually think they might be one of the best clubs for signing players, Guehi and Anderson were also really clever signings and Munoz their new right back looks good too. 

Olise for £8m compared to £50m for Diaby is ridiculous, Olise much more likely to get in that France squad for the Euros than Diaby and he's three years younger too. Given our issues in midfield right now it's such a shame we didn't go for Wharton, Blackburn fans were raving about him 2 years ago. 

I would take Luiz, McGinn, Tielemanns, Kamara and Rogers over Eze, Olise and Wharton every day of the week and twice on every day containing the letter A.

edit: Sorry I see you've already responded to similar responses (serves me right for not reading the whole thread before replying) and I agree with a lot of your previous replies.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Palace have made some very astute signings from the Championship - Eze, Olise and Wharton for a combined £40-45m is only slightly more than we paid for Buendia. I actually think they might be one of the best clubs for signing players, Guehi and Anderson were also really clever signings and Munoz their new right back looks good too. 

Olise for £8m compared to £50m for Diaby is ridiculous, Olise much more likely to get in that France squad for the Euros than Diaby and he's three years younger too. Given our issues in midfield right now it's such a shame we didn't go for Wharton, Blackburn fans were raving about him 2 years ago. 

Agree with most of this.

Palace have made some great signings. Olise is clearly better value than Diaby. Wharton is looking the real deal.

Championship does have lots of good players. Hopefully we're in for Archie Gray (if Leeds don't go up) - looks even better than Wharton. 

Hackney (Boro), Rowe (Norwich) and Greaves (Hull) would also be astute signings. Young, English players, having strong seasons in the Championship.

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I don't understand what Kamara is if he isn't a DMC. 

He is most definitely a dm. In the final third he always looks clueless.

• Like 2

Jordan James, only nineteen but already has ninety-five Championship appearances, and ten caps for Wales, box-to-box midfielder, good all rounder, been consistently linked with Palace for those that like their recruitment, also nearly joined Atalanta in January who I think also have a good rep for recruitment, wouldn't be too expensive either, as is moving into the last year of his contract, and they will probably have to settle for less being a League One team now

• Shocked 1

George Hall is another decent young midfielder from them that PL clubs will be looking at, but as he was injured most of last season they probably have a better chance of keeping him

1 hour ago, allani said:

Exactly this.  Kamara isn't a straight up DMC - he's good on the ball, got a good pass on him and is able to resist the press very well.  I think we need another player just like him (or very similar).  This gives us immediate cover - and hopefully we'll have enough football to keep everyone happy.  But more to the point it means that there will be matches / situations where it makes sense to play a trio like you suggest - who can protect our defensive line better and still transition the ball quickly and effectively to ensure that we are a major threat following a breakdown.  It is all about options and giving us as much balance as possible.  We've tried Luiz / McGinn as a central two for far too long - they're both excellent players playing in completely the wrong position at the moment.  The more we can keep them in their right positions the better.

Matar Sarr would’ve been perfect for this role. Pity we didn’t push harder for him. Emery would’ve done wonders for the lad. 

32 minutes ago, useless said:

Jordan James, only nineteen but already has ninety-five Championship appearances, and ten caps for Wales, box-to-box midfielder, good all rounder, been consistently linked with Palace for those that like their recruitment, also nearly joined Atalanta in January who I think also have a good rep for recruitment, wouldn't be too expensive either, as is moving into the last year of his contract, and they will probably have to settle for less being a League One team now

Holy hell wouldn’t that ruffle a few feathers 🤣🤣

GET THIS KID!! Lol

• Haha 1

He will probably end up at Atalanta or Palace, Wolves were linked with him as well. There's already talk of other clubs watching Wharton, so Palace might look to bring in James as another option and eventual replacement

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I don't understand what Kamara is if he isn't a DMC. 

Would probably be more apt to say he's a modern DM or or a CM who excels in hoovering up and the deep role imo.

I think people are just saying he isn't a destroyer and probably a bit more cultured.

To be honest, sometimes I do think we need a bit of a physically imposing destroyer in their for certain games and situations.

Not going to pretend like I haven't seen games where Kamara has been bullied out of it.

How’s Osorio doing? The winger from Chile? We’ve been linked to him and seem to be really good. Those type of players if they clicked like Rogers, are the best which we should start doing.

1 minute ago, abdulaziz1 said:

How’s Osorio doing? The winger from Chile? We’ve been linked to him and seem to be really good. Those type of players if they clicked like Rogers, are the best which we should start doing.

He's very well thanks.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would probably be more apt to say he's a modern DM or or a CM who excels in hoovering up and the deep role imo.

I think people are just saying he isn't a destroyer and probably a bit more cultured.

To be honest, sometimes I do think we need a bit of a physically imposing destroyer in their for certain games and situations.

Not going to pretend like I haven't seen games where Kamara has been bullied out of it.

I think that is partly an age / experience thing.  I think he'll grow into this part of the game.  He's not going to be a Keane-esque midfield bully but I think he'll get a lot more street-smart in terms of knowing what he can and can't get away with.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Plays for FC Midtjylland now … we’ve signed some young Colombian winger and have the Egyptian lad to sign so we are making those types of moves tbf. 

Edited by thabucks

3 hours ago, PeterSw said:

Their business has generally been good but still a couple of misses in my opinion -

Going off Transfermarkt -

Franca £20m - not done much

Henderson £17.5m - been backup until Johnstone got injured

Edouard £15m - been meh

Yeah that's fair. Although I'd counter that by saying Edouard was pretty cheap for a striker and they seem to have pulled off a good deal in Mateta if he keeps up his recent form. Henderson very early days too.

Franca I'd agree with, seems a waste of money, although he's been injured and still very young so still time. 

Â