Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

On 03/03/2024 at 12:16, allani said:

Without FFP all of those clubs you mentioned would have spent more money in January than us.  I don't like the way it has been implemented, I don't like how some clubs have been able to bypass the spirit of the rules and I don't think that the way that money from central deals is distributed is right or fair.  But we do need something.

You're probably right but for me the difference is how much a club like City could actually significantly improve their squad by spending large amounts.  I'd say their squad is pretty close to being at the ceiling of how good a squad can be - spending £500m might maintain that level by bringing in successors to the likes of Walker and De Bruyne, or Haaland if he goes to Real Madrid, but it would be hard to improve on it.    Whereas I think we have a number of squad places and perhaps one or two first choices that could be significantly improved upon - for example squad options for keeper, centre back, defensive midfield, attacking midfield and striker.   Right back/wing back we could improve the first choice.  I like Matty Cash but I don't think he's elite level.  I n other words it ought to be possible to close the gap a little more easily.       

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Sander Berge as a rotation option anyone? Been playing decent football in a dreadful Burnley team. Imagine he wouldn't cost the earth when Burnley go down

God No, he is a Championship player at most

• Like 2

19 hours ago, allani said:

Chelsea are looking like they'll miss out for the second season in a row.  They've probably both budgeted to be in either the CL or (at worst) the Europa League.  If Chelsea miss out next season and have any commercial deal waiting to be renewed, they will be hard pushed to justify increasing their asking price and will be more likely to either stay the same or even take a small drop.

Chelsea signed a new deal this season with one of their 'sister' companies for £40m a year. That fake sponsorship isn't going anywhere.

• Like 2

I think most of our focus will be overseas with the occasional look at championship players. That we were so intent on signing Rogers is a good sign that Monchi and the scouting network are looking extensively at the Championship for players they like.

I struggle to think what big name signing we will make unless we get a big sell going on. I think the most obvious place to target is our lack of elite fullbacks. But we already signed two projects at fullback as well.

CM looks a bit light if we were to break it down to the 4 players that have played there now that Dendoncker is gone. I wouldn't be 100% comfortable going into a full campaign with UCL with only Luiz/Kamara/McGinn/Tim as the available options.

6 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Any update on this? ;)

Top 7 is nailed on

Haaland
Mbappe
Martinez
Osimhen
Kane
Alvarez
Openda

Watkins

David
Hojlund
Vlahovic
Guirassy
Toney
Thuram
Ramos
Muani
Nunez
Isak
Ferguson

You can order the other 12 however you see fit as it is debatable, who is the best right now? Who has the most potential? Who is younger? Who costs less for you to buy? Who gets the most goal involvements etc.

The most obvious one would be who fits best with your team

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

I think most of our focus will be overseas with the occasional look at championship players. That we were so intent on signing Rogers is a good sign that Monchi and the scouting network are looking extensively at the Championship for players they like.

I struggle to think what big name signing we will make unless we get a big sell going on. I think the most obvious place to target is our lack of elite fullbacks. But we already signed two projects at fullback as well.

CM looks a bit light if we were to break it down to the 4 players that have played there now that Dendoncker is gone. I wouldn't be 100% comfortable going into a full campaign with UCL with only Luiz/Kamara/McGinn/Tim as the available options.

Like with Wolves and Portugal, I was worried the Monchi-Emery combo would focus on La Liga/Spanish players.  Good to see we are recruiting from everywhere.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

I've got 2 Englishmen and 1 Pole but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

The pole has dropped off a cliff

17 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Like with Wolves and Portugal, I was worried the Monchi-Emery combo would focus on La Liga/Spanish players.  Good to see we are recruiting from everywhere.  

Yes between Rogers and Suso - the scouting network is not purely La Liga based which is good to see. 

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

Chelsea signed a new deal this season with one of their 'sister' companies for £40m a year. That fake sponsorship isn't going anywhere.

Hopefully Comcast become our more legitimate equivalent.

Just now, allani said:

Hopefully Comcast become our more legitimate equivalent.

Yes, a swift £100m for the pleasure of running Villa TV and our problems are resolved!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Yes, a swift £100m for the pleasure of running Villa TV and our problems are resolved!

Their business reach extends well beyond just the TV side but all with similar connections with sports marketing.  So there could be more than just as TV deal.  And it will be hard to argue that it is not "justified" because they are all part of their core business and they'll have a whole heap of US based equivalent deals that they can use as a basis when breaking into the European market.

Edited by allani
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, allani said:

Their business reach extends well beyond just the TV side but all with similar connections with sports marketing.  So there could be more than just as TV deal.  And it will be hard to argue that it is not "justified" because they are all part of their core business and they'll have a whole heap of US based equivalent deals that they can use as a basis when breaking into the European market.

Agreed. Do you think the full import of Comcast involvement is being reserved depending on CL qualification?

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Didn't know that.

Appreciate the list, proves the point there's no one better than Watkins to buy.

well you couldn't buy one of the 7 maybe other then Openda but that was never the point, it was to make the team stronger as a whole without dropping much from the replacement striker with the chance he is better. My choice was David who is on the list above.

Edited by paul514
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, paul514 said:

Top 7 is nailed on

Haaland
Mbappe
Martinez
Osimhen
Kane
Alvarez
Openda

Watkins

David
Hojlund
Vlahovic
Guirassy
Toney
Thuram
Ramos
Muani
Nunez
Isak
Ferguson

You can order the other 12 however you see fit as it is debatable, who is the best right now? Who has the most potential? Who is younger? Who costs less for you to buy? Who gets the most goal involvements etc.

The most obvious one would be who fits best with your team

Toney and Ferguson in amongst the World's best strikers?

Ray Liotta Laughing GIFs | Tenor

• Thanks 1

Â