Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, MSvillain said:

Just to add a bit of detail on this, Newcastle estimated to have received around €34m from their group stage, including the win bonuses, so would be closer to £30m all in. 

https://swissramble.substack.com/p/champions-league-revenue-202324-after

Does that include gate receipts? They only won one game if I remember rightly.

1 hour ago, MSvillain said:

Just to add a bit of detail on this, Newcastle estimated to have received around €34m from their group stage, including the win bonuses, so would be closer to £30m all in. 

RB Salzburg made 44 million from the group stages! But Newcastle only 34m

Edited by Philosopher

16 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Does that include gate receipts? They only won one game if I remember rightly.

No i don't think it does, just what they get from UEFA:

"The amount earned from UEFA’s competitions depends on four different elements:

• Participation fee

• Prize money

• UEFA coefficient

• TV pool"

Edited by MSvillain
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

We need another striker.

We have got away with Ollie so far not picking up any injuries.

Duran's agent will still be desperate for his client to get his midtable move to Chelsea in the summer and Archer's only scored like 4 in 20 odd for Sheff United.

Probably more one for the future and have to take Turkish press with a pinch of salt but we've been pretty consistently linked with Semih Kilicsoy from Besiktas.

Turns 19 in the summer but has 9 in 14 in the league. 

56 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Just too much in this post I disagree with to be worth trying to explain in detail why 

Firstly the savings are miles off as doesn't factor in players being on loan hence wages being paid.

The idea we'd go with only two untested RBs and Konsa for a Champions League campaign.

The triviality of simply just replacing Carlos with someone better. Not to mention how bizzare the view that Carlos is some kind of issue we need to solve too. 

Carlos is a highly paid player that so far hasn't contributed what one would expect from a player of his standing and value. Hence saleable. Of course we only sell him if we can replace with better.

Of the players I mentioned the ones currently on loan are Dendonker and Sanson. And we are probably contributing to Sanson's wages, and Dendonkers loan is only for 5 months.  Also the wage saving don't take into account appearance fees and so on. As well as going by the lowest figures quoted for wages. Obviously I'm not privy to the intricacies of the clubs accounts so they're inherently speculative. The point wasn't to provide an in depth analysis but to show that lots of money can be saved and brought in without selling important players.  

I really find the talk of selling the likes of Luiz, Watkins and JJ extremely unpalatable. Plus I don't believe for one minute we'd sell any of those players unless the players themselves insisted on it.

As for the right backs, if you have a player in Nedeljovic whom is considered the best right back prospect in Europe there needs to be opportunities for him. In regards to Cash, Carlos and even Digne I don't think we should definitely sell, rather that they are more on the fringes of our squad, who we could improve, who could also bring in funds from their sale.

In regards to transfer policy we should be planning for the future, while looking to bring in one big signing in a key position. I would go for RCB or RB. With DM in the back of the mind. For me aggression, pace, and strength are qualities we need to add to the squad in those positions.

22 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Kosta and Sousa right? 😋

That's a leap, but fullback is a position where younger players can breakthrough easier. They are also huge talents so I wouldn't right it off. Unlikely,  but I'd love to see it. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Mings won't be because they will perform different roles in the team. We need a LCB like Torres who is a build up player and attack minded and progressive passer. 

Mings is a central CB for recovery pace, aerial and physical defending. He's perfect for the central of the back 3 the same one Carlos plays. 

When you see further than we need two left footed CBs and think of things in terms of the role they are playing in the team. You see how different Pau and Mings are

You make good points. But if we are playing a back 3 then for me you put Torres in the middle. Where he can influence the game more, also with Moreno left you need good cover for him. As he won't get as much protection from midfield.

Thing is a back 3 is something we won't see often. Essentially we have a very traditional back 4 in terms of shape. Our right winger is practically a second striker so we require more defensive grit at right back. And our left winger is playing in the half space between left wing and central midfield and is far less offensive which means the left back receives better defensive cover.

3 hours ago, MSvillain said:

More group games as well next season so more games to try win

16 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Alan Varela latest clickbait rumour for DM with our scouts at the Porto vs Arsenal game recently … 

He’s got some decent stats compared to Kamara, a bit lower on the possession stats but still a good option.

Tyler Morton at Hull has similar stats to Pablo Maia too so he’d be another option to look at. 

4 hours ago, Philosopher said:

You make good points. But if we are playing a back 3 then for me you put Torres in the middle. Where he can influence the game more, also with Moreno left you need good cover for him. As he won't get as much protection from midfield.

Thing is a back 3 is something we won't see often. Essentially we have a very traditional back 4 in terms of shape. Our right winger is practically a second striker so we require more defensive grit at right back. And our left winger is playing in the half space between left wing and central midfield and is far less offensive which means the left back receives better defensive cover.

You really need to study more how we build up. Torres has to be LCB of a back 3 in build up. It because of the angles of pass left to right. We want him to get balls into feet of one of the 10s or to our right winger bypassing opposition midfield. The central CB is more the safe passer and recycling play. Torres is not suited to playing as that CB as it takes away his passing gifts and he doesn't have high recovery pace ala Mings/Konsa

• Like 1

22 hours ago, paul514 said:

Won't do much for FFP and would be another older centre back and a third left footer.

Surely that depends on the fee, getting a fee for a player and replacing them with a free has to help with ffp.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

You really need to study more how we build up. Torres has to be LCB of a back 3 in build up. It because of the angles of pass left to right. We want him to get balls into feet of one of the 10s or to our right winger bypassing opposition midfield. The central CB is more the safe passer and recycling play. Torres is not suited to playing as that CB as it takes away his passing gifts and he doesn't have high recovery pace ala Mings/Konsa

That's only when passing out from the back. When defending we are a flat 4. When attacking in the opposition half we have a lop-sided 4. 

We don't play a back three. When the ball goes to the  left back (when playing out) Pau goes more central. When it goes to the right back the RCB goes more central. However the centre point in our playing out is actually Martinez. In addition previously Kamara would drop into the RCB position allowing the RCB to go central adding a deep passing option. Now Doug is dropping into the Centre of our two CB'S.

When defending having the pace in the wide CB positions is better for defending against pacy wide forwards which is probably the weakest part of our defence outside of set pieces currently.

Mings also likes to play those long diagonal balls. What you’re highlighting backs up my belief that it's difficult to partner up Pau and Mings. 

It's horse for courses. Unfortunately in a back four Pau and Mings isn't practical.

In a back 3 whether or left or centre they're interchangeable. With Pau central of a 3 it gives him the freedom to move into midfield and create overloads in the middle of the park which is the point of our current formation. Of course he can also do that from the left although it becomes a little more complicated that way as the positions of players have to make bigger adjustments every time he moves forward with the ball.

Now if we have an RCB like Pau then what your saying would work a treat. We can have Pau and Said RCB pinging balls and making runs into midfield, with Mings doing the covering.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beasley14 said:

Surely that depends on the fee, getting a fee for a player and replacing them with a free has to help with ffp.

No, it doesn't.

Page 21 i have explained this already

6 hours ago, burchy said:

Hoping we’re looking at Pablo Maia for the DM role as it’s rumoured West Ham and Spurs are both eyeing him. He’d be great comp for Kamara. 

If his surname is said like marry then I have heard of him, if not then I haven't. I have obviously not seen him play.
His data on the link below makes him nothing like Kamara, he has impressive passing stats and that is about it, I wouldn't call him a DM at all

https://fbref.com/en/players/3a243771/scout/365_m2/Pablo-Maia-Scouting-Report

Â