28th December 1998

MikeMcKenna

The last time we were top of the Premier league was 28th December 1998, almost exactly 25 years ago. Funnily enough we beat, Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 to go top. 

Mods, please move if you feel this is more appropriate elsewhere.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

You are absolutely right. But it is very weird, as according to the Premier League:

“The last time Villa were No 1 overnight was nearly 25 years ago, on 28 December 1998. They beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 to go top and remained there until 8 January 1999.”

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3830148#:~:text=The last time Villa were,there until 8 January 1999.

You would think they would know?

Edited by MikeMcKenna

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

The PL site says "overnight", so presumably if it's correct then someone else won after us on the same day in 2001 and went back above us.

I checked that. On 28th October we were still top.

• Like 1

Looking forward to a chorus of "We'll be top by ten o'clock" tonight, it's been too long since we sung that. The game that sticks in my mind most from that time, was the one on 13th December when we came back from 2-0 down, after a prolonged half time (due to Santa's fall) to win 3-2 and go back to the top of the PL. We spent quite a lot of the time at the top that season.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, John said:

Looking forward to a chorus of "We'll be top by ten o'clock" tonight, it's been too long since we sung that. The game that sticks in my mind most from that time, was the one on 13th December when we came back from 2-0 down, after a prolonged half time (due to Santa's fall) to win 3-2 and go back to the top of the PL. We spent quite a lot of the time at the top that season.  

What year and game was that John?

Â