Ratings & Reactions: Nottm Forest v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/11/23 at 23:59

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Unai will sort it… these are all experiences we will learn from and improve upon. And he will make sure of it!

Was never going to be smooth or easy ride.

I do think we were poor overall though, too many players not on their game and lacking sharpness. Too easily disrupted or dominated, especially in that first half.

Wish people would get off Zaniolo’s back though… he needs some confidence, one goal and he will be flying!

Once again, it’s still remarkable how Unai has done and got us playing despite the injuries to such key players. Could have done with a few of them today.

The squad is still light and lacking in options.

JJ and Moreno can’t get back in the side soon enough… would love Buendia involved asap (will be a while)…that creative spark would be most welcome.

Hope we strengthen in Jan and keep pushing for a really successful season…

Zaniolo is not good enough Jas i know you love these foreign imports but he really isn’t the one for us or this league and yes need Ramsey asap! 

Disappointing. It felt quite early on like we just weren’t going to be able to break them down. Never mind we go again but we have to get better away. It’s so bizarre it’s like watching two entirely different teams home or away. 

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Yep, the old fella obviously gonna give up the ghost after 11 beers ;)

I've kept the 12th for tomorrow's bubble and squeak as the useless words removed have put me off me dinner :D

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Important not to overreact after one poor performance and result… mustn’t ignore all the positive and impressive ones.

Can’t win them all, we will be back.

Unai needs some better players in certain positions imo though…. must strengthen at least at RB in Jan.

These players have and will perform a lot better than they did today.

Think theres a RB from athletic bilbao or madrid we are after 

Just now, RicRic said:

Zaniolo is not good enough Jas i know you love these foreign imports but he really isn’t the one for us or this league and yes need Ramsey asap! 

Need to be patient with players and support them, not write them off so quickly. We’ve been proven wrong before…

Not always a need to single out or heavily criticise individuals after a poor performance or result… sometimes the whole team is just “off it”.

Even our World Cup winning goalkeeper cocked up today…

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Unai will sort it… these are all experiences we will learn from and improve upon. And he will make sure of it!

Was never going to be smooth or easy ride.

I do think we were poor overall though, too many players not on their game and lacking sharpness. Too easily disrupted or dominated, especially in that first half.

Wish people would get off Zaniolo’s back though… he needs some confidence, one goal and he will be flying!

Once again, it’s still remarkable how Unai has done and got us playing despite the injuries to such key players. Could have done with a few of them today.

The squad is still light and lacking in options.

JJ and Moreno can’t get back in the side soon enough… would love Buendia involved asap (will be a while)…that creative spark would be most welcome.

Hope we strengthen in Jan and keep pushing for a really successful season…

The big thing is though - we score once today (even up until the 85th minute or so) and I'd be backing us to get at least a draw and probably even win the game.  For years if we went 2-0 down then it was game over.  It's clearly not ideal but this team / manager makes me feel that almost anything is possible and that almost no cause is lost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RicRic said:

And worse, this is the kind of game where we are depending on someone like Zaniolo to do something special. We can forgive someone like Watkins having a quiet game because it was never really set up for him, but Zaniolo should be thriving in this kind of game 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No great cause for concern for me. Away from home against a team with pace, power and a very solid defensive structure. Add an early goal and you have a recipe for our nightmare opposition.

As good as we've been under Emery, there are still clear deficiencies in this squad. We don't have enough players with the quality, experience and composure to break down packed defences. We still lack physicality in key areas of the pitch.

We need one of Diaby Zaniolo Bailey to step up in tight games rather than when we're dominant or the game is open. We need Ramsey and Moreno back to offer more pace and quality on the ball. We need to sign proper competition for Cash and a physically imposing midfielder that can go toe to toe with a Mangala/Sangare.

None of that gets fixed overnight so we also need patience as fans and accept that in this phase of our development, games like this will happen.

• Like 4

Just now, allani said:

The big thing is though - we score once today (even up until the 85th minute or so) and I'd be backing us to get at least a draw and probably even win the game.  For years if we went 2-0 down then it was game over.  It's clearly not ideal but this team / manager makes me feel that almost anything is possible and that almost no cause is lost.

Yeah, the way we can play and control possession now is so encouraging and days like these are just minor blips or stumbles that we are able to overcome and move beyond rather than be the cause of a major downturn and run of constant poor performances and results as in the past.

We are a different beast under Unai… keep the faith and try to enjoy the ride!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RicRic said:

He's still playing out of position.  The chance he had in the first half - if he's playing his natural position on the right he cuts back, watches the defender slide past trying to block the shot that doesn't come and puts the ball in the top corner on his left foot.  He's not looking the player he did at Roma - but how long did it take for Ramsey to settle into the team and prove his worth?

• Thanks 1

Thrashed by Newcastle & Liverpool… came back strong. Thrashed at least one team.

Lost to Legia Warsaw & Everton… came back strong. Thrashed at least one team.

Lost today… we will be back!

Can’t win every game…. not with this depleted squad and set of players.

2 minutes ago, allani said:

He's still playing out of position.  The chance he had in the first half - if he's playing his natural position on the right he cuts back, watches the defender slide past trying to block the shot that doesn't come and puts the ball in the top corner on his left foot.  He's not looking the player he did at Roma - but how long did it take for Ramsey to settle into the team and prove his worth?

Excellent point, particularly the comparison with Ramsey. McGinn under SG vs McGinn under Unai too… several examples.

Zaniolo will improve with time, can tell he’s incredibly desperate for that first goal and when he gets it… BOOM!

Not a very happy birthday for UE:(. We could have gone into the top 4 with a win today and you have to win games like these in those circumstances.

We couldn't turn our possession into goals and we conceded goals at the start of each half to give them a boost and to deflate ourselves. We will play better between now and the end of the season, I doubt that they will. Watkins had a great opportunity to get us back into the game, but he mistimed his jump, that's two without scoring, I do hope this isn't the start of a barren spell, because we haven't many forward options to bring off the bench currently. We need to get back on track with two home wins after this.    

10 minutes ago, allani said:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bloody awful. With the new Aston Villa I come to expect more, however i also feel we've been somewhat fortunate on a few ocassions already.  Days like today put things into perspective. We are progressing and losing today will not define where we are and who we are, but will give us food for thought. UTV.