Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

I do not have a cat. Therefore I do not understand why you think I might wish to heat one.
If you knew Cath like I know Cath, you'd want to eat her.
I know, oh what a girl.

However, you sir have craftily and cynically chosen to ignore the edit I effected shortly after you posted.

EDIT: I shall now imitate your current signature and replace my current one with a similar one.

In Russia, beer is legally a soft drink. There are no restrictions on its sale whatsoever.

I like that. I suppose it is all relative. They love vodka and moonshine, so drinking beer is probably like drinking squash to them.

In more ways than you would think.

It seems that they are getting annoyed by the number of young kids (ie, ten year olds) turning up to school pissed because they bought beer on their walk to school that parliament are going to define beer as an alcoholic drink in the next few months, so it will be controlled in the way that you would expect, ie tax and age restrictions. It was a story I heard on the radio this morning. Vodka is still easily the most popular drink in Russia, but about 25% of all alcohol sold over there is beer.

Apparently Russian beer is typically "super strength" too, 10% abv and above.

No wonder they have massive problems with alcoholism and a high suicide rate!

"Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles was the first video played on MTV.

"Just between You and Me" by April Wine was the 14th and 57th video to be played on MTV, making it the first video to be shown twice.

Also, the Specials (well some of them) were the first non-white artists to have their video played on MTV (Rat Race was the 58th video shown on MTV)

I assume they restrict beer by age? Or not even that?

Nope. Its legally defined as a soft drink. There are absolutely no restrictions on its sale. Apparently its even advertised in Russia that you cant become an alcoholic if you only drink beer. :shock:

The law is going to change soon, which is probably why they featured the story on Radio 5 this morning.

"Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles was the first video played on MTV.

"Just between You and Me" by April Wine was the 14th and 57th video to be played on MTV, making it the first video to be shown twice.

Also, the Specials (well some of them) were the first non-white artists to have their video played on MTV (Rat Race was the 58th video shown on MTV)

I installed the first computers at MTV (the UK bit) .. they wee a tin pot outift in Camden Town ..must have been around 1987 .. Couple of MAC SE's and printer with a couple of Appletalk boxes :-)

well the thread does say useless information ....

Mark Hughes played two top level games in the same day.

On 11th November 1987 he played an international game for Wales in away in Prague before getting in a private jet and flying to Munich to play for Bayern against Borussia Moenchengladbach. Impressive!

• 2 weeks later...

While watching Stephen Fry's "Last Chance To See" Blue whale episode, the other bloke gave an interesting fact. I don't know how true it is but it sounded remarkable if even nearly true. That 10% of the worlds population live on or around the mouth of the Yangtze River. That's 600 million people. The basin area is nearly 2 million square km and there are some pretty monstrous cities around there but it sounds a bit fanciful.

Depends on how you define "around"...

wiki"]

The urban build-up in the area has given rise what may be the largest concentration of adjacent metropolitan areas in the world. It covers an area of 99600 km^2 and is home to over 80 million people as of 2007, of which an estimated 50 million are urban.

• 2 weeks later...
Â