Transfer Near Misses !!

Adbo9

I read BFR book and in it he mentioned wanting to sign Fashanu but Wimbledon werent playing ball......... so he went and got a young striker in a similar mould from Italy, flew him in, ready to sign on the dotted for a fraction of the price Fash would cost, when Wimbledon called and said theyd deal at the price we wanted, but it meant the young kid had to go back............ the young lad pleaded for the opportunity, but BFR mind was made up he wanted the experience.   

The player - Oliver Bierhoff

BFR says its one of his regrets at Villa..........

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

I think there were rumours after we played AJAX in the uefa cup we were sniffing........... 

Yep we were offered him I'm sure. Also in that Ajax team were guys like Vertoghen and Alderweireld.

I don't quite by the Falcao rumours though. Get the feeling it was just his agency putting links out to likes of us to get others interested and eventually he signed for Porto which is much more logical news. And pretty sure O'Neill said he'd never heard of him when asked at a press conference.

Similar to Cavani, this is a link from July 2009:

South American hot shots aim for Aston Villa move - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

TWO of South America’s hottest striking talents have issued “come and get me” pleas to Martin O’Neill.

Edinson Cavani, a six-foot tall Uruguayan international, who plays for Palermo in Serie A, and River Plate’s Colombian international Radamel Falcao are both trying to engineer moves to the upper end of the Premier League.

Both are in high demand not only because of their talent but also their availability with their clubs looking to set up quick deals.

Cavani, 22, is currently valued at £12.8 million by Palermo but the Italians will probably have to accept far less.

I remember always seemed to be linked with Nakamura about 15 or so years ago. I actually signed him for my villa team on FIFA because his free kick accuracy was like 95/100.

Also I think everyone is also forgetting....

Januzaj on loan

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Dale Stephens and Hiroshi Kiyotake.

Around that time I remember the mass fawning for that Wes Hoolahan guy. He even scored v us for Norwich and refused to celebrate for some bizarre reasons.

Two years later he was playing in league one. Pretty sure he was about 33 when he was linked and was being hyped up like Coutinho.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Around that time I remember the mass fawning for that Wes Hoolahan guy. He even scored v us for Norwich and refused to celebrate for some bizarre reasons.

Two years later he was playing in league one. Pretty sure he was about 33 when he was linked and was being hyped up like Coutinho.

I remember that and thought it was incredibly depressing that an aging kind of crap attacking mid for Norwich worth about 800 grand was being seen as the answer to all our problems

• Thanks 1

Just now, VillaJ100 said:

I remember that and thought it was incredibly depressing that an aging kind of crap attacking mid for Norwich worth about 800 grand was being seen as the answer to all our problems

We signed Joe Cole six months later.😂

What a time to be alive with those transfer windows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Around 2012-2014ish there was a bit of an obsession about us getting this elusive central attack midfielder (I suppose because we had not much else to look forward to) and Hoolahan was very heavily linked with us and was seen as maybe being able to fill that role. Belhanda was another name bandied about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Yep we were offered him I'm sure. Also in that Ajax team were guys like Vertoghen and Alderweireld.

I don't quite by the Falcao rumours though. Get the feeling it was just his agency putting links out to likes of us to get others interested and eventually he signed for Porto which is much more logical news. And pretty sure O'Neill said he'd never heard of him when asked at a press conference.

Similar to Cavani, this is a link from July 2009:

South American hot shots aim for Aston Villa move - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

Apparently Angel recommended Falcao to MON

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He was playing Championship until 2019. Wessi would have been our best player after Benteke in that Lambert reign of terror

He even scored and got an assist at Euro 2016

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Weren't be also linked with Vieri that  same summer? Was in Spain and remember  going to buy a Marca every  day to check  the latest  rumours 

Yes, I think you’re right on this. Definitely some rumours about him at the time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2023 at 20:46, ferguson1 said:

Yes, I think you’re right on this. Definitely some rumours about him at the time. 

Only ever had one bit of ITK, which I only found out straight from the horses mouth only a couple years or so ago...… we were as close as you can get to signing Jimmy Flloyd Hasselbaink after selling Yorkie,  but he turned us down last minute when he was at Leeds.   Told me his agent had heard rumours of interest from the big clubs in Spain and from Liverpool, so decided to push those moves, but they never came off and he eventually got his move 12 months after.   He tried to ressurect it but wed since been and signed Dion Dublin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

Only ever had one bit of ITK, which I only found out straight from the horses mouth only a couple years or so ago...… we were as close as you can get to signing Jimmy Flloyd Hasselbaink after selling Yorkie,  but he turned us down last minute when he was at Leeds.   Told me his agent had heard rumours of interest from the big clubs in Spain and from Liverpool, so decided to push those moves, but they never came off and he eventually got his move 12 months after.   He tried to ressurect it but wed since been and signed Dion Dublin.

Wow, never heard of the Jimmy rumour previously. Dublin and Merse were terrific buys for us though.

38 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

Hasselbaink would have been one hell of a signing.

We were pretty close to signing Lampard but he chose Chelsea instead

Who was the player that was announced as 'signed' on Sky Sports, complete with yellow ticker tape and everything? I think it was a Spurs player? Early 2010's? And then it turned out no one knew anything about it or where it had come from

Edited by picicata

On 06/09/2023 at 19:23, villa4europe said:

Wiki says born in halesowen, went to school in Hagley, villa fan, signed a youth contract with torquay... How does that happen?!

On local yoof, never saw him linked to us and it's probably a good thing we didn't go for him but I always think berahino going to Aston manor school, a whole 1.4m from villa park, and signing for the baggies is a bad look for the club

was it?....dodged a bullet.

Â