January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

8 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Without FFP, City, Chelsea and United would have been able to spend even more money than they already have. So would make no difference. 🤷‍♂️

You're missing the point.  They may have been able to spend even more, but Newcastle could have come along and still blown them out of the water.   And we and others may have been able to spend as much too.  i.e. we may have been more able to catch up and compete, or even overtake.  FFP has protected the likes of City and Chelsea from that scenario while still allowing them to spend much more than most based on the increased revenue bases - which they only managed to generate because of financial doping.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Because I think he’s shit and significantly weakens us whenever he plays. He also doesn’t get called up anymore.

But this debate has been done to death so we leave it there. 

Na, let’s have the debate… he is limited and is on a decent wage… (was a silly signing to begin with) it is possible to bring in a better and more suitable alternative (maybe even someone who can actually compete with and push Kamara or a youngster that can develop into his role and eventually take over)…

those wages could be put to better use… the guy is slow and can’t pass the ball all that well… tall, strong, can head a ball and intercept it but… not really an Unai style player… clumsy and just appears lackadaisical (suppose that’s not his fault)…

he’s played his part but… if we get a decent offer and can move him on… there’s a definitely a better option somewhere out there… a lot will be dictated by finances though…

not averse to him sticking around for now though… but he won’t be with us for too long I’d imagine…

We need to shift Chambers too…

Berty will be gone soon, end of contract… can’t see a decent offer coming in…

2 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

You're missing the point.  They may have been able to spend even more, but Newcastle could have come along and still blown them out of the water.   And we and others may have been able to spend as much too.  i.e. we may have been more able to catch up and compete, or even overtake.  FFP has protected the likes of City and Chelsea from that scenario while still allowing them to spend much more than most based on the increased revenue bases - which they only managed to generate because of financial doping.   

How is that a good thing for us?  The longer Newcastle are held back the better.  As rich as our owners are, we aren't outspending oil backed state sponsored sports washing clubs.  

2 hours ago, MachoFantastico said:

I genuinely think this will be one of the quietest windows in some time. A lot of clubs have realised that the January window isn't the best time to do business, especially with FFP involved. At this point, I'm ignoring 99.9% of the transfer talk because it's just paper/media BS. 

It's also because there's some pretty big gaps between the clubs in the standings.

Are the relegation clubs really going to go for a big move when it looks like they're more or less cut adrift (Everton points deduction aside)?

Is there any incentive for the mid-table clubs to try and catch up to the European spots? From Bournemouth to Brentford - a record breaking signing isn't necessarily going to make up the gap.

That leaves clubs around the top 10 and even those moves are smaller. Loan recalls, loan in to Spurs, Liverpool and City are very unlikely to make any moves.

I'd expect maybe 1 or 2 players in depending on outgoings but not a lot of activity for us.

Whether that comes back to bite us at the end of the season is a fair point - but I would temper title expectations and expect us to be trying to maintain our UCL place more than anything else.

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I don't see how anything to do with FFP is relevant to the North Stand development. In fact, not redeveloping now is actually a big hindrance to revenue and thus FFP in the near future to long terms versus a relatively small drop in revenue (that would likely be written off for FFP purposes) for a few years.

I don’t know, I don’t claim to have any knowledge on any of this…

But I can also understand about not hitting attendances (by knocking down & rebuilding North Stand, can it be “refurbished”?) at this point in time too… it’s a difficult one. There’s so much work to be done anyway, a lot of renovation and refurbishment. So many improvements that need to be made to services and facilities…

A hit on attendances and even more or existing fans (match-goers) missing out when we’re finally doing well and playing good football would be a shame and negatively impact us, in the short term too, it’s tricky one…

we need to make sure Unai gets enough funds to strengthen and shape the squad too…

it’s a shame about the restrictions and limitations that are being forced upon us… but we’re not the only ones…

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Tim lacks the experience to be put in as the CDM role in our side. We need a player ideally the level of Tielemans is as alternative to Luiz for the Kamara competition role

Good example… genuine competition will be good and if we keep progressing and being successful… there will be plenty of games to play and we’ll be able to rotate more and keep players fresh.

I genuinely think this will be one of the quietest windows in some time. A lot of clubs have realised that the January window isn't the best time to do business, especially with FFP involved. At this point, I'm ignoring 99.9% of the transfer talk because it's just paper/media BS. 

Who really knows when it comes to us but… if we see a player leave, then we can really start getting excited about someone arriving.. seems like we have to do this kind of thing, make room in terms of squad space and wages but bring in better and not like-for-like… or don’t bother, stick with what we have and improve them if we can’t…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Who really knows when it comes to us but… if we see a player leave, then we can really start getting excited about someone arriving.. seems like we have to do this kind of thing, make room in terms of squad space and wages but bring in better and not like-for-like… or don’t bother, stick with what we have and improve them if we can’t…

Surely Kalvin Phillips on loan would be a sensible move

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Surely Kalvin Phillips on loan would be a sensible move

I don't know, have you seen him play in the last 2 years to think it's sensible?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

1) that get's written off for FFP due to the circumstances 2) speculative

1). No it doesn't, loss of revenue goes into accounts.

2) More than speculation. It will impact atmosphere as we have less fans and a stand missing which means less noise and atmosphere. 

• Like 1

I always find this a bit of a red herring....I accept the reasoning, for January being a bad time, yet some of our best deals have come in January over the years.

Then there's the optimum time, the summer, when internationals are played, tournamounts are played, and player family holidays are sought......and all the delays relating to that.

It strikes me, the transer market is like the pub drinking time, ( used to be) everyone wants the last hour, whatever the drinking hours are, and the "lock in" was for the priviledged.

Most of the business is done in the last week of the window, due to intransigence in the main, and a bit of brinkmanship thrown in for good measure.

It kinda strikes me, there is never a good time or always a good time, if the deal is a dud or the right deals can be struck, which ever the case may be.

Just remember guys, a world class injury prone player, is no better use than a journey man....its an expensive game having talent forever injured.

If they can't play......they can't stay.

Players like Ollie and Gareth Barry, was diamonds, in terms of being injury free.

Its important, when signing new players to pay attention to their attendance record.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I think the point is that by mid Feb we should be quite good. The relatively low number of games being played this month is kind of a reset for the players.

However,  you are right that come the business end of the season we are going to have players that have played a lot more games than last season, and not having any additional reinforcements is a big gamble.

May even start to bite by the end of March, almsot certainly before Buendia and Mings are back.

If Youri is out for much longer then I think we are going to need an extra body or two this month.  Or he needs to start giving Traore and Chambers more game time when the opposition/state of the game allows...

Youri and Pau are back 💪 

and Olsen too

• Like 2

If Dendoncker leaves, would like us to look at Argentinian Guido Rodríguez of Real Betis, available for free in the summer, or possibly a low fee this month.  Linked with Atletico and Milan.

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If Dendoncker leaves, would like us to look at Argentinian Guido Rodríguez of Real Betis, available for free in the summer, or possibly a low fee this month.  Linked with Atletico and Milan.

Interesting shout… good passer? Technical level?

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

Unai just said Bertie and Callum Chambers are the only ones that he will let go.   If they move on maybe we can get someone in.

Not quite, I think if others move over and above these two we will consider getting someone in 

image.png.d4bc7ee0e4395e076c99da7a3ca94746.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

Not quite, I think if others move over and above these two we will consider getting someone in 

image.png.d4bc7ee0e4395e076c99da7a3ca94746.png

Yep, more than just them two available.

Kind of makes sense to name Chambers and Berty (final year of contract) due to their low values and lack of playing time… hopefully to kind of invite offers…

the Coutinho situation is uncertain too… we need a permanent solution. Same goes for Sanson really…

but naming others devalues those players… we need some decent offers to come in. If someone offered 5–10m for Dendoncker, I’m sure we’d take it, for instance.

A decent fee for Digne… we’d at least consider it.

If, for example, we said someone like Cash (even Olsen?) was for sale then we’d just get lowball offers instead of an unexpected and appealing fee…

Hause out on loan, at least, if he can prove his fitness now that he’s back…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1