January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

With a release clause... 

Something half sensible too like £40m, still linked with a move to barca 

Barca can't afford him now, they were hoping to get him on a free.  It's actually more likely we'll sign him now there is a release clause.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Barca can't afford him now, they were hoping to get him on a free.  It's actually more likely we'll sign him now there is a release clause.

We probably negotiated the release clause 🤣🤣

3 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

David Ornstein on the Athletic pod specifically said our focus in Jan will be on RB and on upgrading Donks. 

No idea on RB, but we could really do with a high quality one, and ideally suited to Unai’s system and style.  For DM I’ll just throw out these names: Mikel Merino & Martin Zubimendi.

Maybe we don’t really need any/many signings but… a boost to our attack is always welcome… could there be a surprise in the works? We are certainly an exciting and attractive proposition… I’d love to see a demonstration of our ambitions and aspirations… let’s make the most of this moment and the staggering progress we have made so far… we can really achieve something of major significance…

Let’s see, we do need depth in midfield and the ability to rest or rotate an integral player such as Kamara. I think that’s very important… with Tielemans playing in and more suited to an attacking role (and Dendoncker’s limitations)… it’s where we have the least depth or options really. I’d sooner put Super John McGinn in the middle over anyone else whenever Doug or Bouba need a break… in monstrous form.

Bailey’s form (lovely to see) has shown just what an asset genuine competition can be… who would’ve thought Diaby would be fighting for a place in the side? Expect him to get back in there but he has a battle on his hands… motivation…

It’s what we want/need all through the team to be as competitive and progressive as possible really… how high are our ambitions?

Regardless, it’s a hugely exciting time…

We’ve come such a long way in such a short time… thank you so much King Unai. I hope he is given all of the tools he wants and needs…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

I disagree. Ornstein is the only national journo with Percy that has credibly demonstrated an inside track on Villa. 

No one really comes close in terms of credibility do they? Doesn’t exactly have a lot of competition in that sense though 😆 proper cesspit.

Percy seems a lot less informed these days…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

It’s gonna be so pleasing and such a boost to get the injured players back (properly/regularly) and on form (like new signings 🙄😆) such as JJ and Moreno who I expect to feature and start regularly (hopefully that starts now) once they get over those issues. Will be great to eventually have Buendia back (fit and firing) too, can be even more of an asset in this side and with the way we are playing. Maybe give us a real extra boost toward the run in? Who knows on Ty 😢 

But… I’d still like to see us jump on genuine opportunities to enhance the squad/team and bring in anyone better than we have… it’s not impossible. But we only need quality (if it’s available) not quantity…

However, I don’t think anyone is desperate for us to bring anyone in… the way we are going. But any boost Unai can get will be even more helpful…

I just wonder… would it be best to take advantage of our current situation and momentum and give us that extra push forward to achieve something special and to also win something…?

Or do we keep full faith in our current crop who have come such a long way?

One or two quality additions would make things easier imo…

3 hours ago, burchy said:

I’d love us to go for a Wirtz or Simons but that doesn’t seem to be the way Emery and Monchi work. 

I think we need a couple of players to give some flexibility tactically and also provide cover if needed.

Forgoing the GK situation, which I think will be rectified in the Summer I think we need (worst case scenario). 

Versatile CM that can cover both Luiz and Kamara (I would ideally like two players for this). 

A right footed wide man/inside forward  that can be an option on the left with Ramsey but can also cover up front if needed. 

A Chambers esque (but better) RB that can cover DM and CB if required.

Those three would give us loads of tactical flexibility and cover with us then bringing in a new attacking RB in the summer (Frimpong perhaps) and a new GK. 

I think, for midfield, we only really need a quality DM option to cover or compete with Kamara. We have Doug, Tielemans and McGinn who can all play CM.

Dendoncker just isn’t of the required standard/quality or lacks the attributes to feature enough in our side. It would be good to be able to rest a player like Bouba rather than just have to stick someone in his position when he is injured or suspended. If we do this, hopefully we have a taker for Leander at the same time too.

Moving Chambers on would be wise also.

I don’t think we will do too much or greatly “disturb” the balance or make up of our side unless NSWE are hugely ambitious and “in a hurry”… but I don’t think Unai will want that anyway… and I think our owners are wiser and more intelligent than most also, like our manager.

January isn’t really the time to make drastic changes (tweaks rather) unless a side is massively struggling…

Don’t really want to risk disturbing the momentum and balance but the right signing or two could provide that uplift also…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Can’t see it myself, Donks will only be replaced if he moves on and we have Cash and Konsa who are performing admirably when called upon. I’m actually struggling to see us doing much business in January unless we sell.

There isn’t much need… but one or two high quality signings (the right ones) could really give us a hand and maybe push us on to achieve even more. 

I guess us fans can take a very relaxed approach anyway, probably the most ever, because we all know we are in such good hands and in such a good place. We can just enjoy the ride.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I reckon is our best bet is to continue to try what we've been doing.

Find versatile attacking players which can potentially play all across the front and have an eye for goal.

I suppose we are well stocked with forward players… maybe we will look to move some on before bringing any more in and upgrading.

Regardless of FFP or finances, it does seem like we will do that (free up squad places) before or while bringing new players in. I think Unai will continue to prefer a smaller or tighter group as he has discussed…

But I’ll still hold some hope for one top class signing like that 😆 I think we can offer even more of an attacking  threat and, especially, a more clinical and ruthless edge if we do good business and identify the right player. I think it’s always possible to upgrade but it’s about attracting that player too - we are certainly more appealing in that sense now!

Attackers:

Ramsey, Zaniolo, Bailey, Diaby, Traore, Tielemans now too…

Strikers:

Watkins, Duran

Buendia on the way back…

We have the numbers but… we can also improve.

We could even play Bailey and Diaby in the same side if we wanted…

McGinn can play pretty much anywhere 😂

Who knows on Zaniolo, I still hope he can hit form and show his quality, Berty will be gone soon but needs to keep fit to help us out, great to have JJ back (aided by Moreno), Bailey is playing so well and with a smile on his face, Diaby has a fight on to get back in the side and motivation to show his worth and quality, Tielemans is doing really well now…

It’s intriguing at the very least…

• Like 1

I think January signings can really only be players Emery has worked with before if we want them to make an instant impact. 

Emerys style is highly complex so to expect a player to come in and fit in seemlessly is a huge ask.

I would say an average player who has been in a round Villa training over the last 12 months is arguably more valuable to us than a better player who has to come in and learn it all 

• Like 2