Plymouth Argyle

Rds1983

Seeing as we have a fair few Villa fan's on here with Devon connections and an interest in Argyle it felt fitting to start a thread.

Especially if as we have a few loan players there (Azaz and Kesler).

Ex-Villa youth like Tyriek Wright and had a few players play for both clubs over the year's (Hourihane etc).

Hopefully they have a great year and someday soon get promotion to the top flight for the first time. 

They're away at the Scum today so hopefully pick up a decent result.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Seeing as we have a fair few Villa fan's on here with Devon connections and an interest in Argyle it felt fitting to start a thread.

Especially if as we have a few loan players there (Azaz and Kesler).

Ex-Villa youth like Tyriek Wright and had a few players play for both clubs over the year's (Hourihane etc).

Hopefully they have a great year and someday soon get promotion to the top flight for the first time. 

They're away at the Scum today so hopefully pick up a decent result.

I’ve been down there and watched them a couple of times and enjoyed it every time.

Went there on a corporate gig once which turned out to basically be soup and a bun in a tent, but I loved it, they just had a good atmosphere going.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve been down there and watched them a couple of times and enjoyed it every time.

Went there on a corporate gig once which turned out to basically be soup and a bun in a tent, but I loved it, they just had a good atmosphere going.

The atmosphere at Home Park is always good and lively, theyve also got a surprisingly large capacity (17k). Their match day hospitality is pretty good too.

They've also got one of the best away supports I think I've ever seen.

• Like 2

Starting a thread on the day they play SHA and decide to lose to them in 95th minute, even by VT standards what a schoolboy error.

Saying all that I've always had huge respect for the hundreds of miles the fans travel every season.

They do have the feeling of another Luton/Brentford starting to bubble if they can establish themselves at championship level and they're pulling in bigger crowds than both did in the championship.

Would be cool to see a geographically challenged area like Devon host top level football one day and I think they're on the right path.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Was it so we could finally have a look at Finn Azaz? 😉

Isn't Plymouth Argyle the club that used to have the famous tilting pitch? (EDIT: Whoops -- I realise I was thinking of Yeovil's old ground)

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Confused 1

They've made a decent enough start, four points from four games which I think they would have taken at the start of the season considering two of their fixtures have been against teams expected to challenge for promotion, and then Huddersfield who finished last season strongly, and small heath who were always likey to have a good start.

10 hours ago, useless said:

They've made a decent enough start, four points from four games which I think they would have taken at the start of the season considering two of their fixtures have been against teams expected to challenge for promotion, and then Huddersfield who finished last season strongly, and small heath who were always likey to have a good start.

Threw away points with injury time goals against small heath and Southampton so should be further ahead.

Signed 8 or so players this summer too so squad still settling. They're mostly all young too.

On 26/08/2023 at 12:09, rjw63 said:

Paging @adw95

This thread is made for you ;)

Yeah, not the ideal time to start this thread. Good club but anything other than going down would be success imo.

Bali Mumba is one to watch, can't believe they got him for (allegedly) £1m.

• Like 1

Great thead 🙂 a Villa fan from Plymouth my first Villa game was at Home Park in '87. 3-1 to the Villa with a Mark Walters double.

Argyle were very close to being wound up a few years ago so to be where they are is amazing progress despite losing to SHA last minute.

Always love to see Villa and Argyle working together in some way

COYG and UTV

• Like 3

That was fun.

Palace couldn't get near Plymouth for 60 mins, brought on Jordan Ayew, Jeff Schlupp and Eze and scored 3 goals in 5 mins to get the score to 3-2.

Plymouth's second was a worldie.

Kane Kesler was man of the match by miles.  Went from right back and kept dropping into that deep midfielder role and just spraying passes around.  Put a palace player on his arse when dribbling and looked really good.  He was officially MOTM too, so not just my villa bias.

Finn Azaz came on after about 75 mins and didn't do very well, lost possession about 3 times.

Mateta scored 3, but was absolutely awful in everything apart from his 3 finishes.  If you can stop the ball getting to him, his absolutely woeful.

Number 5/7 for Plymouth cost them the game really, couldn't get back and make up for mistakes they made.

Lovely ground, the football Plymouth played was really good for a newly promoted championship team.  They'll be fine this year.  

What is a JANNER and why do they say it so loudly?!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â