Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

8 hours ago, TomC said:

Long article about him in the Athletic...select quote here...

https://theathletic.com/4783519/2023/08/18/nicolo-zaniolo-a-game-changing-talent-but-consistency-remains-elusive/

Sounds like he's more of a carrier than a passer...so not really a Buendia-type player.

That said...if he creates lots of chances but is wasteful with them...that means Delphinho will have someone to be frustrated with in Buendia's absence. 🙂

From the McGinn comments about how he’s changed his game under Emery, carrying the ball is a big part of the way he plays. McGinn said in Scotland he was brought up to get the ball and immediately look to pass, whereas Emery wants him to get the ball and carry it up the pitch.

Zaniolo replacing Buendia gives us an opportunity to bring in a carrier over a passer.

8 hours ago, TomC said:

Long article about him in the Athletic...select quote here...

https://theathletic.com/4783519/2023/08/18/nicolo-zaniolo-a-game-changing-talent-but-consistency-remains-elusive/

Sounds like he's more of a carrier than a passer...so not really a Buendia-type player.

That said...if he creates lots of chances but is wasteful with them...that means Delphinho will have someone to be frustrated with in Buendia's absence. 🙂

One thing they don't mention is how many goals Roma scored in the aftermath of a Zaniolo shot.  He might not have scored / been awarded an assist - but I am sure that I read somewhere that he had the highest number of shots in Serie A that were blocked / saved but the rebound then resulted in a goal (or assist).  I think his shooting stats are probably impacted by the fact that he likes to have a pop (when other players might try to get a bit closer / get a bit more space) but the power and accuracy of his shots often mean that the ball remains very much in play.  From what I have seen he doesn't sky many over the bar or miss many great chances - it's more that he will fashion himself a small amount of space and get a shot away quickly.  If Ollie is on his toes he should be looking at scoring a good few tap-ins this season.  Also stats can be more reflective on the way that players are asked to play rather than their actual skills - Zaniolo's passing is pretty good but at Roma and Gala I think his instructions were more to play more direct, take players on and get shots off.  I suspect there will still be a lot of that here - but I do think he'll be more aware of the runs of Ollie and Diaby and so would expect his progressive passing stats for example to significantly improve under Emery (because the way we play is subtly different).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Yes. And given we were looking at him before Buendia's injury perhaps he is viewed as an alternative to Bailey rather than a replacement for Emi.

Coutinho is the only guy who can play how Emi does from his position. I hope he can contribute this season. I actually thought JPB deserved the start past week though.

Will be interesting to see how we line up today. 

Absolutely he is a Bailey replacement not a Buendia replacement.  The question really is where we play Diaby when he and Zaniolo are playing.  I suspect we will have a pretty fluid front 3 as all three players are comfortable playing across the front line.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well Emery has improved Watkins by simplifying what his role is. Hopefully he'll dothe same with Zaniolo. I see him as playing up supporting Watkins and getting goals

I personally think Emery will do the opposite.  If anything in the recent past Zaniolo has been asked to play a too one dimensional game.  Emery will (I think) get him to mix it up a bit more and as a result his stats will become a bit more rounded.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, allani said:

Absolutely he is a Bailey replacement not a Buendia replacement.  The question really is where we play Diaby when he and Zaniolo are playing.  I suspect we will have a pretty fluid front 3 as all three players are comfortable playing across the front line.

I think he's got the game to do both the Bailey role and the Buendia role :P

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

There's no evidence he does anything off the ball

You think he stands about with his wang in his hand when he's not on the ball? ;)

He might not be a carbon copy of Buendia as a 10, but he has everything to play as a 10 (I think it's his best position but I might be in the minority and clinging on to what everyone hoped when he came through at Roma). He would be very good in both the Buendia and the Bailey roles.

Edited by romavillan

46 minutes ago, romavillan said:

You think he stands about with his wang in his hand when he's not on the ball? ;)

He might not be a carbon copy of Buendia as a 10, but he has everything to play as a 10 (I think it's his best position but I might be in the minority and clinging on to what everyone hoped when he came through at Roma). He would be very good in both the Buendia and the Bailey roles.

You and @allani have got me thinking he’s the perfect player! 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Better than overhyping a consistent underperformer.

Absolute bollocks. 2nd form table calender year before season start and Beundia played every game under Emery. You'll notice his absence this season. Wait and see

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Overhyping the shit out of a new signing. What could possibly go wrong?

Have some faith… don’t be negative.

I’m excited…

I don’t think it’s hype, they both know what they’re talking about and it’s good to get that insight… 

His talent isn’t in question… it’s whether he can stay fit and injury free and how quick he can adapt and gel into the team…

We’ve got to have faith and belief in any Unai or Unai-approved signing…

I will repeat the mantra:

If Unai got the players he inherited to perform so well, imagine what he can do with players of his own choosing (a la Moreno).

Keep the faith, this is the Unai era… he is leagues beyond the vast majority of, if not all, previous managers - boy had we appointed so much shite… it’s embarrassing and was an obvious flaw of the clubs for so long…

It’s time to stop basing current/future events on the past and comparing… these are different times under a different and far superior regime.

We could easily have attracted a major talent, a major coup, here and exploited an advantageous situation…

29 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Absolute bollocks. 2nd form table calender year before season start and Beundia played every game under Emery. You'll notice his absence this season. Wait and see

You're right we will. We will realise how much if a passenger he can be in games and Zanilolo will show us how it's really done.

Spoiler

*Being sarcastically harsh above*

... we miss him really!

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why would you want that?

I’m a Buendia fan but… I don’t want us to miss any player or be affected too negatively. I’m glad the transfer window is still open and we can do something about these “knocks” or setbacks…

I’d prefer us to address the deficiencies and do really, really well.

I don’t want anything harming our chances of having a successful season.

Don’t care at all about being proved right or wrong on points - just want the team I support to do as well as possible.

Sod petty arguments.

• Like 1

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

You're right we will. We will realise how much if a passenger he can be in games and Zanilolo will show us how it's really done.

Let’s not lower ourselves to petty arguments and disagreements… no need to insult any player, especially one who was heavily relied on and offered us a lot last season.

I’m a fan of Buendia and was looking forward to him having a better season (that preseason performance against Newcastle was massively encouraging).

It hurt and upset me to hear of and see both Emi and Ty’s injuries but I don’t want that to impact us too badly… I won’t waver in terms of my faith and belief in Unai!!

Hope we bring in the right signings and develop our players enough to counteract the negative affects we have suffered and overcome them…

• Like 1

Don’t see why anyone wouldn’t welcome and be excited about this signing… let’s see how he does before writing him off, having doubts, being sceptical etc…

I hope he’s world class and makes us ten times stronger!! 😄

Ultimately, it only benefits us if our available players perform better than the ones that are missing…

Wanting us to suffer or struggle due to those absences is… crazy…

Especially if it’s just to prove a personal point… that’s poor.

Go on Nico! 🤌🇮🇹

Edited by Jas10

1 hour ago, allani said:

That makes a lot of sense and further explains why Unai is looking for more attacking reinforcements…

Bailey cannot be assured of a place in this side…

Who is going to bring Emi’s creativity and killer through balls? 🤔 

16 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Would you want us to miss Buendia and notice his absence or would you want us to be even better despite him being injured thanks to our new signings?

• Thanks 1

Â