The Moral Maze - Age of Consent

Seat68

It’s a bonkers story though. 

Trying to unpack what has happened here, sounds like young persons mum has sold a story to the Sun which the young person disputes.

The BBC have made a mess of looking into it as it was raised 2 months ago and they seem to have done very little until this weekend when it hit the papers.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

All it meant was that several other presenters were abused and everyone knows who the one in question is. It was a silly stance to take with someone in the public eye.

The BBC could have said allegations have been made against x and he is suspended whilst we conduct an investigation.

It would have made nobody’s life worse, but several peoples life better.

well one or 2 presenters have already said they're taking legal action against twitter users that have accused them. hopefully some good will come out of the whole thing if it means that people think twice before speculating in the future

not a lawyer, but i've seen some have said that BBC legally cannot name the individuals that are subject to potential police investigation.

even on here when this sort of thing arises we're prohibited from naming names

• Like 1

Trying to unpack what has happened here, sounds like young persons mum has sold a story to the Sun which the young person disputes.

The BBC have made a mess of looking into it as it was raised 2 months ago and they seem to have done very little until this weekend when it hit the papers.

This aspect of the story wasn’t raised with the BBC until late last week.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

All it meant was that several other presenters were abused and everyone knows who the one in question is. It was a silly stance to take with someone in the public eye.

The BBC could have said allegations have been made against x and he is suspended whilst we conduct an investigation.

It would have made nobody’s life worse, but several peoples life better.

Apart from the person who allegations are against. Even if it’s nonsense. Mud sticks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

but what were they to look into? some batshit crazy mum complains to the bbc that her crackhead daughter got her drug money off a bbc presenter.

"and what evidence do you have to back up these accusations madam?"

"well, she showed me her bank statement"

"and you have that bank statement right?"

"errrmm....."

1 minute ago, jim said:

Apart from the person who allegations are against. Even if it’s nonsense. Mud sticks.

But the point is people know anyway, so it hasn’t protected him. 

Sounds like it’s not legal to name him so even if the BBC wanted to protect their other staff from speculative abuse they couldn’t.

In theory I agree it makes sense not to name them to protect them. In reality in the social media age people will work it out quickly.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

but what were they to look into? some batshit crazy mum complains to the bbc that her crackhead daughter got her drug money off a bbc presenter.

"and what evidence do you have to back up these accusations madam?"

"well, she showed me her bank statement"

"and you have that bank statement right?"

"errrmm....."

One of her complaints is that the BBC hasn’t spoken to them since raising this (potentially bullshit) story. It’s a serious allegation so they should have done a proper investigation already, especially whilst it was still a secret. Then they could have kicked it in the bin and told the presenter he’s free to carry on as normal without the massive spotlight they now have on them.

One of her complaints is that the BBC hasn’t spoken to them since raising this (potentially bullshit) story. It’s a serious allegation so they should have done a proper investigation already, especially whilst it was still a secret. Then they could have kicked it in the bin and told the presenter he’s free to carry on as normal without the massive spotlight they now have on them.

i guess we don't know if any investigation was done or not. for all we know they might have contacted the alleged victim who, by the sounds of it, would've herself denied that any wrongdoing had taken place. case closed.

also, as the alleged victim is an adult, i'm guessing they can't discuss any such investigation with anyone but the actual victim, including their own mother?

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i guess we don't know if any investigation was done or not. for all we know they might have contacted the alleged victim who, by the sounds of it, would've herself denied that any wrongdoing had taken place. case closed.

also, as the alleged victim is an adult, i'm guessing they can't discuss any such investigation with anyone but the actual victim, including their own mother?

It’s really messy. I wonder if the mum ends up in hot water after this if she’s stirring the pot and bullshitting to all parties. 

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

The BBC clearly said yesterday that the original complaint was about totally different allegations and that they tried to speak to the parents who didn’t respond

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I really hope the BBC presenter sues the f*** out of the Scum.

just seen that this could spell the end of the s*n within the next 3 months. shame, was hoping it would be quicker

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s really messy. I wonder if the mum ends up in hot water after this if she’s stirring the pot and bullshitting to all parties. 

Hmmm I’m not so sure. The Scum newspaper ran the story, it’s down to them to uphold journalistic standards, which they clearly didn’t do here. Absolutely zero corroboration 

Anyone can go to a paper with a batshit crazy story, it’s up to the paper to do their research and be able to prove what they print.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bickster said:

Hmmm I’m not so sure. The Scum newspaper ran the story, it’s down to them to uphold journalistic standards, which they clearly didn’t do here. Absolutely zero corroboration 

Anyone can go to a paper with a batshit crazy story, it’s up to the paper to do their research and be able to prove what they print.

😂😂😂😂

Â