Football Manager 2024

Villaphan04

On 23/03/2024 at 16:27, villan95 said:

Speaking of ex Villa strikers I also came up against Keinan Davis in the Europa League who was playing for West Ham 😆

well if we're talking about ex villa players, one of my most inspired signings for zilina has been josh onomah on a free. been outstanding for me.

sold a top youngster for a few hundred grand which allowed me to build a team that absolutely destroyed the league in my 2nd season, and just got all the way through the various qualifiers to the CL league stage. went up against dynamo zagreb in the playoffs who i thought would batter me but i breezed through them. first game of the league was my easiest fixture (FC zurich) and battered them 4-0. just the small matter of the likes of juve, chelsea and barca to come

with all this money i've got now for a team of my stature, you'd thing the board might've accepted my requests to improve the intrastructure (training, youth etc) wouldn't you? would they ****

• Like 1

What's the weirdest thing anyone had happen in your current save?

In mine, Mowbray won the WC with England in 2030 and then was sacked after the 2032 Euros after getting knocked out by Ireland in the 2nd round.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

In mine, Mowbray won the WC with England in 2030 and then was sacked after the 2032 Euros after getting knocked out by Ireland in the 2nd round.

to be honest i don't really pay a huge amount of attention to other world events when i play

on my FM23 save i recall norway won the WC though, mainly due to haaland

On 19/03/2024 at 18:51, tomav84 said:

decided to start a new game. need a challenge having won 7 PLs in a row with villa which is possible to do with any PL side due to the finances involved once you've got a settled side, good prospects etc.

one thought was to take a struggling english team up to the PL but i'm going to find myself in the same boat once i get there so i've decided to give this "grow a nation" thing a go. wondered about scotland but think the scottish league's reputation is already too good and i'm not even going to bother with something like a san marino etc because i don't have the energy

i've decided on latvia, taking control of Riga (went there on a stag once...nice city). seems like it's somewhere between scotland and san marino in terms of reputation. wish me luck

18 hours ago, tomav84 said:

well if we're talking about ex villa players, one of my most inspired signings for zilina has been josh onomah on a free. been outstanding for me.

sold a top youngster for a few hundred grand which allowed me to build a team that absolutely destroyed the league in my 2nd season, and just got all the way through the various qualifiers to the CL league stage. went up against dynamo zagreb in the playoffs who i thought would batter me but i breezed through them. first game of the league was my easiest fixture (FC zurich) and battered them 4-0. just the small matter of the likes of juve, chelsea and barca to come

with all this money i've got now for a team of my stature, you'd thing the board might've accepted my requests to improve the intrastructure (training, youth etc) wouldn't you? would they ****

Have actually done this in FM2023... with a Latvian side (Super Nova) :D

It's a slog after a while.  I've got a ridiculous bank balance and top training facilities but my board just won't budge on upgrading youth facilities from "great".  I was hoping to produce a national side of wonders, alas...

56 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Have actually done this in FM2023... with a Latvian side (Super Nova) :D

It's a slog after a while.  I've got a ridiculous bank balance and top training facilities but my board just won't budge on upgrading youth facilities from "great".  I was hoping to produce a national side of wonders, alas...

i'm really enjoying it. got them playing really good football and won 2/4 of my CL games, beat zurich at home and galatasaray away. lost to shaktar and juve away so got some home games left at least. reckon 1 more win will give me a good chance of qualifying for next round which i think gets me about another 10m

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'm really enjoying it. got them playing really good football and won 2/4 of my CL games, beat zurich at home and galatasaray away. lost to shaktar and juve away so got some home games left at least. reckon 1 more win will give me a good chance of qualifying for next round which i think gets me about another 10m

The scaling up is huge once you hit CL money in these leagues.  The league becomes too easy, but that's fine.

Just loaded up my game to check bits... I'm in 2044:
- 2nd best club coefficient for the season behind Man Utd
- Optibet Virsliga is ranked 8th in the World (behind Eredivisie in 7th) although the season falls oddly, starting in January.  I think the league rankings update in June and TV revenue jumped from £26m last season to around £70m this season so I'm guessing the league will climb when June comes round.
- 8 of the 10 Latvian league teams are rich

For my Super Nova team, I've won the league 21 times in a row, the cup 14 out of the last 16 years (really odd blip in 2039, lost the final :D), and have won the Champions League 3 times, with back to back victories having just happened.  First win was 2037/38.  Valmiera have developed as the undisputed 2nd best team in Latvia and are becoming a competitor in the Europa League although have only got to the quarter finals as yet.

The gameplay is QUITE stale though :D  Obviously just trying to get the league to be as strong as possible but, because those usual superpower leagues are still up there, my recruitment is essentially all "buy young player from South American country, develop them.  Sell, reinvest".  Managing to keep a few "elite" players now, though - which makes a nice change.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

49 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The scaling up is huge once you hit CL money in these leagues.  The league becomes too easy, but that's fine.

- Optibet Virsliga is ranked 8th in the World (behind Eredivisie in 7th) although the season falls oddly, starting in January.  I think the league rankings update in June and TV revenue jumped from £26m last season to around £70m this season so I'm guessing the league will climb when June comes round.

For my Super Nova team, I've won the league 21 times in a row, the cup 14 out of the last 16 years (really odd blip in 2039, lost the final :D), and have won the Champions League 3 times, with back to back victories having just happened.  First win was 2037/38.  Valmiera have developed as the undisputed 2nd best team in Latvia and are becoming a competitor in the Europa League although have only got to the quarter finals as yet.

The gameplay is QUITE stale though :D  Obviously just trying to get the league to be as strong as possible but, because those usual superpower leagues are still up there, my recruitment is essentially all "buy young player from South American country, develop them.  Sell, reinvest".  Managing to keep a few "elite" players now, though - which makes a nice change.

that's really impressive. just shows it's possible to really create a strong team from one of those leagues

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

that's really impressive. just shows it's possible to really create a strong team from one of those leagues

Cheers mate.

And yeah, despite all of that and a £1bn+ balance... NO, I CANNOT HAVE ANYTHING BETTER THAN "GREAT" YOUTH FACILITIES.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Cheers mate.

And yeah, despite all of that and a £1bn+ balance... NO, I CANNOT HAVE ANYTHING BETTER THAN "GREAT" YOUTH FACILITIES.

that's the only stuff i'd use the editor for. it's totally unrealistic and an error that needs to be fixed

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

that's the only stuff i'd use the editor for. it's totally unrealistic and an error that needs to be fixed

God, I would... but the whole save is literally zero cheat.  No looking up player data, no exit/reload... nothing.  I'd be gutted to tweak it, even though it's so tempting :D 

Edit:  The upgrade option does come along every so often; it's about a 4 year cycle I think.

Edited by bobzy

Just now, bobzy said:

God, I would... but the whole save is literally zero cheat.  No looking up player data, no exit/reload... nothing.  I'd be gutted to tweak it, even though it's so tempting :D 

the player data is the only 'cheat' i do using the fm genie scout. i've told myself it's not a cheat, as the AI clubs seem to find all the best youngsters so i consider it as leveling the playing field

i did save before my dynamo CL playoff game. i don't do the exit reload thing normally and not sure what i'd have done if i lost. i just wanted the option. in the end i didn't need to!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomav84 said:

to be honest i don't really pay a huge amount of attention to other world events when i play

on my FM23 save i recall norway won the WC though, mainly due to haaland

They've won it on mine too so I've done a save as Norway manager, it's a strange squad with some real quality such as Haaland and Odegaard but then also depth at striker with sorloth and a celta vigo striker, decent CB called ostigard and CM called aursnes, decent fullbacks, then OK players like ajer and berge plus a fair few wonderkids like nusa and halseth nypan

But then nyland in goal... 

On 24/03/2024 at 18:10, Avfc96 said:

this is from last year but the manager merry-go-round. Man United sacked their manager, hired Juventus's manager. Who then proceed to hire Pep from Man City, who then get Klopp from Liverpool. Liverpool then get Simeone from Atleti, who then get the guy that Man United fired. 

I've also noticed that Set-Piece coaches are consistently moving from club to club. McPhee almost always goes to Liverpool after a week in my saves. 

Just moved from 23 to 24. The system I used to batter everyone with is no longer doing the business. Looks like I might actually have to do some work again. 

Have FBs been upgraded or something? My inside forwards used to muller them. 

Posted (edited)

well...this is a new one for me

image.thumb.png.6a26ed8470abcdcb4148bf89a4f02787.png

edit. it was an april fool. hilarious.

Edited by tomav84
  • Haha 1

On 01/04/2024 at 05:08, Villaphan04 said:

this is from last year but the manager merry-go-round. Man United sacked their manager, hired Juventus's manager. Who then proceed to hire Pep from Man City, who then get Klopp from Liverpool. Liverpool then get Simeone from Atleti, who then get the guy that Man United fired. 

I've also noticed that Set-Piece coaches are consistently moving from club to club. McPhee almost always goes to Liverpool after a week in my saves. 

Somewhere Danny Murphy is furious.

• Haha 3

On 25/03/2024 at 15:12, bobzy said:

i see what you mean about the gameplay being stale. odds on me winning the league this season are 1/10. i'm just going on holiday for the league games now

i'm also in that period where my reputation is behind my performance so all my players want to leave as bids keep coming in for them.

38 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i see what you mean about the gameplay being stale. odds on me winning the league this season are 1/10. i'm just going on holiday for the league games now

i'm also in that period where my reputation is behind my performance so all my players want to leave as bids keep coming in for them.

Yeah, it’s a bit of a shit period until the side really grows BUT… you’ll get good money for players as the league develops. So those good players will be £5m+ “normally” rather than £250k or whatever initially.

I found you’ve just got to keep squad harmony. Sell the players kicking up a fuss and bring in talented youth from South America. Colombia and Uruguay are good because you’ll be able to attract players and they’ll develop well/earn a lot. You might be able to get some Brazilians if the reputation is good enough and then you’re on track for proper European challenges.

Stick out the stale bit and try and get some quality national youth players through your academy. That’s definitely the main challenge for me now… although the league sides are getting better which is good. I’m no longer winning every league game 7-0 etc - even lost my 120+ game unbeaten streak not long ago 😳

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, it’s a bit of a shit period until the side really grows BUT… you’ll get good money for players as the league develops. So those good players will be £5m+ “normally” rather than £250k or whatever initially.

I found you’ve just got to keep squad harmony. Sell the players kicking up a fuss and bring in talented youth from South America. Colombia and Uruguay are good because you’ll be able to attract players and they’ll develop well/earn a lot. You might be able to get some Brazilians if the reputation is good enough and then you’re on track for proper European challenges.

Stick out the stale bit and try and get some quality national youth players through your academy. That’s definitely the main challenge for me now… although the league sides are getting better which is good. I’m no longer winning every league game 7-0 etc - even lost my 120+ game unbeaten streak not long ago 😳

yeah to be fair they're easy to keep sweet with the "i'll sell you if a bid for £x is received" as teams so seldom match that figure.

the academy is a problem. i'm getting no decent players coming through but the board are "devastated" at me not meeting the goal of giving youth team players opportunities whilst rejecting any proposal of mine to invest in the youth academy so even though i've taking zilina to the CL playoff round last 3 seasons i'm still only rated a B.

south america is indeed where it's at, but slovakia has the "no more than 5 non eu players in a matchday squad" rule so can't go too crazy with signings from there. i keep forgetting that also applies to UK players (thanks brexit :()

the coefficient is a 5 year rolling thing i think so i should see some improvements next season. as things stand i'm still having to play the qualifier and playoff before the CL league stage

Â