Football Manager 2024

Villaphan04

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

yeah to be fair they're easy to keep sweet with the "i'll sell you if a bid for £x is received" as teams so seldom match that figure.

the academy is a problem. i'm getting no decent players coming through but the board are "devastated" at me not meeting the goal of giving youth team players opportunities whilst rejecting any proposal of mine to invest in the youth academy so even though i've taking zilina to the CL playoff round last 3 seasons i'm still only rated a B.

south america is indeed where it's at, but slovakia has the "no more than 5 non eu players in a matchday squad" rule so can't go too crazy with signings from there. i keep forgetting that also applies to UK players (thanks brexit :()

the coefficient is a 5 year rolling thing i think so i should see some improvements next season. as things stand i'm still having to play the qualifier and playoff before the CL league stage

Do find these sort of things are a bit weird.  As an example, I won the league for the 22nd time in a row and the CL for the third time in a row last season.  This led to Super Nova qualifying for the European Super Cup and for other reasons (can't remember what happened exactly), I ended up having 4 games in hand on the rest of the league at some point.  Valmiera are a decent side now and were clear at the top by 7 points - but I had 4 games in hand on them.  I did manage to draw against both them and RFS, but then won the Super Cup against Leipzig.

Board confidence C-, fans C. :D 

Might be quite nice that you've got a board wanting youth players to come through, though.  Should help with requesting youth facilities if you meet the criteria?  Just keep bringing on some youngsters in the 80th minute or whatever.

Think I've got similar restrictions on squad, just not as severe.  Can "only" have 15 foreign (so, non-Latvian) players and then of the starting eleven, need to have 4 homegrown (possibly Latvian?  Can't remember) players in there.  This had led to me signing an absolute truck load of youngsters from (mostly) Brazil and the rest of South American nations and just having them sat in my B and U21 sides... for 5 seasons or so, hoping they become Latvian and can be more useful to me :D.  Sadly, the team is ahead of where these players can get to without playing "proper football" so it doesn't really work.  Still, the Latvian national side have some well random players in there now.  Might screenshot some stuff when home.

I haven't played a Football Manager game for almost 20 years. I'm considering getting back into it. I found the training elements became a bit involved. My favourite part of CM was playing Stan Collymore until he wasn't depressed anymore, so I'm probably not a purist. Any recommendations on how best to get back into it without being overwhelmed by all the changes 

9 hours ago, YLN said:

I haven't played a Football Manager game for almost 20 years. I'm considering getting back into it. I found the training elements became a bit involved. My favourite part of CM was playing Stan Collymore until he wasn't depressed anymore, so I'm probably not a purist. Any recommendations on how best to get back into it without being overwhelmed by all the changes 

i never touch the training. so much can be delegated to various staff and it's very customizable in terms of what you take control of yourself and what you delegate.

maybe it's because i've played it for years, but i imagine a lot is fairly self explanatory but you can turn a tutorial mode on so that as and when you get a new screen/event that you've not seen before, it talks you through it. and there's always google (or villatalk) if something happens that you don't understand

On 02/04/2024 at 12:07, tomav84 said:

yeah to be fair they're easy to keep sweet with the "i'll sell you if a bid for £x is received" as teams so seldom match that figure.

the academy is a problem. i'm getting no decent players coming through but the board are "devastated" at me not meeting the goal of giving youth team players opportunities whilst rejecting any proposal of mine to invest in the youth academy so even though i've taking zilina to the CL playoff round last 3 seasons i'm still only rated a B.

south america is indeed where it's at, but slovakia has the "no more than 5 non eu players in a matchday squad" rule so can't go too crazy with signings from there. i keep forgetting that also applies to UK players (thanks brexit :()

the coefficient is a 5 year rolling thing i think so i should see some improvements next season. as things stand i'm still having to play the qualifier and playoff before the CL league stage

the league is getting there. new tv deal so prize money slightly increased, i now go straight into the league phase of the CL, and i'm getting more money for players (plus some sell on clauses have come in too on other players i've previously sold).

i still don't play the league games...funny story though, because i holiday through all the league games, my assistant won the manager of the year

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

the league is getting there. new tv deal so prize money slightly increased, i now go straight into the league phase of the CL, and i'm getting more money for players (plus some sell on clauses have come in too on other players i've previously sold).

i still don't play the league games...funny story though, because i holiday through all the league games, my assistant won the manager of the year

The Zealand skin is really good for simming games rather than skipping entire days btw!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Milfner said:

The Zealand skin is really good for simming games rather than skipping entire days btw!

never heard of that! will look into it, cheers!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, YLN said:

if its the full game then you delegate everything to your assistant which is easy to do and then you just pick your assistant the same way that you would a new player (dennis bergkamp for me on pretty much every save)

if you really want to cut it all out then go for the touch version, thats what i play on switch and should be the same on any tablet or console

dont get mobile as its shit

Love FM, can't wait for 25 as they have promised it will be a whole new chapter in the series. It's coming towards the end of the real-life season, which I consider to be the halfway point in an FM game's lifecycle. I always get a bit bored of the current iteration and run out of save ideas around this time. Funny enough though, I have logged a lot of hours on this version of the game but I have struggled to get into it when compared to older versions. Lots of bits of time spent trying to get invested in about a dozen saves. I have gone back to older versions for a bit and it does seem to be working. 20 and 21 have been my favourites so far, 18 was my first.

I do hope 25 is as revolutionary as they are letting on because something has been missing since 22 or 23 for me.

Back again with more RB Bragantino fun. Into Feb 2037 now so 4 full seasons after my last post. 

Won the league again in 2033, 2034 and 2035. Another two Copa Libertadores in 2034 and 2035, few more cups and a Club World Cup in 2033. Hit 106 points in the league in 34 and 35 (new joint record). Also took over the Brazil job in 2034 as I wanted to try for the World Cup so I won the 2036 Copa America on the way. After 5 on the bounce though I did lose the league title in 2036, I'd have Brazil games on the same day as league matches so calling up half my squad came back to bite me too often :lol: Also got knocked out in the semi finals of the Copa Lib. 

nxjEbrv.png

Probably didn't help that I sold 2 key players again half way through the season but you have to keep things fresh in these saves. Shokry moved for £170m rising to 188 and Mihajlovic for £146m rising to 196. 

tnbqlUT.pngR2AntBR.png

No big sales since then though. Padded out my squad with more reserve players now to try and balance out the international call ups a bit better as they've been a nightmare ever since the club started becoming really good tbh. Don't think I showed anyone off last time so here's my best 4 players, will probably try and keep these guys forever no matter what bids come in. 

Ibqn5l7.pnghsHyk3J.png

3FF106i.pngdGOmpNF.png

• Like 1

getting bored of my zilina save. players just don't want to be here at the first sniff of interest from elsewhere, even if they only were signed a few months ago. got a good side that qualifies from the league phase of the CL every year but only twice have i made it past the playoff round.

the league and team reputation just isn't progressing quick enough and it's getting annoying.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

getting bored of my zilina save. players just don't want to be here at the first sniff of interest from elsewhere, even if they only were signed a few months ago. got a good side that qualifies from the league phase of the CL every year but only twice have i made it past the playoff round.

the league and team reputation just isn't progressing quick enough and it's getting annoying.

If it offers any crumb of encouragement with my FM2023 Latvia save, the board have (finally) upgraded my youth facilities to "Excellent" and I've had a couple of Latvian kids come through who look handy (both are strikers which is a bit annoying as I play with 1; PSG rumoured to be interested in one of them though which is a great sign).  So "the nation" is going to improve.

The Latvian league is still sat 8th in terms of ranking and I got knocked out of the CL in the Round of 16 for the first time in about 8 seasons which has pissed off the board :D.  Players still want to leave for the massive clubs, but I always go for the talk with them, they didn't meet the valuation, enter high valuation loop.  A few times it gets met and I just refuse it leading to an unhappy player... but they still perform well.  I actually had a reputation amongst my squad of "not keeping promises" which was an actual problem, so had to sell a few players and re-invest.

Overall, though, the side is still very strong and, more importantly, the league is getting better.  Valmiera qualified from the Europa League group again, won in their playoff but lost to Leipzig in the Round of 16.  Other sides (RFS, Riga, Auda) are picking up some random very good players on free transfers.  I think it's because every club is rich so they offer silly wages but they're getting players who are causing my side some (small) problems and should see those sides do better in Europe.

Definitely a bit of a slog, but it does get better once you get past the stage you're at.

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If it offers any crumb of encouragement with my FM2023 Latvia save, the board have (finally) upgraded my youth facilities to "Excellent" and I've had a couple of Latvian kids come through who look handy (both are strikers which is a bit annoying as I play with 1; PSG rumoured to be interested in one of them though which is a great sign).  So "the nation" is going to improve.

The Latvian league is still sat 8th in terms of ranking and I got knocked out of the CL in the Round of 16 for the first time in about 8 seasons which has pissed off the board :D.  Players still want to leave for the massive clubs, but I always go for the talk with them, they didn't meet the valuation, enter high valuation loop.  A few times it gets met and I just refuse it leading to an unhappy player... but they still perform well.  I actually had a reputation amongst my squad of "not keeping promises" which was an actual problem, so had to sell a few players and re-invest.

Overall, though, the side is still very strong and, more importantly, the league is getting better.  Valmiera qualified from the Europa League group again, won in their playoff but lost to Leipzig in the Round of 16.  Other sides (RFS, Riga, Auda) are picking up some random very good players on free transfers.  I think it's because every club is rich so they offer silly wages but they're getting players who are causing my side some (small) problems and should see those sides do better in Europe.

Definitely a bit of a slog, but it does get better once you get past the stage you're at.

yeah the "i'll sell if this fee is met" started massively backfiring when clubs started to meet that fee left right and centre so as you say, you get a reputation for not keeping promises and that upsets people more! i'm finding it easier to just do the "you're not going anywhere" comment and the only time i give in is where they announce they'll leave on a free at the end of their contract. it's manageable though. there's normally a small window between transfer windows where they're all fairly happy and i can use that window to extend contracts. the rare occasions when i'm having to give in i do find that i can create a good bidding war. example being the last player i sold, bids started at 5m, he ended up going for a total package of over 50m.

• Like 1

FM25 will have a chairman mode apparently. am i the only one that thinks that would be really fun? something totally different

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

FM25 will have a chairman mode apparently. am i the only one that thinks that would be really fun? something totally different

Do like the sound of this, but I always find new 'additions' to the game to be problematic for the first year, so I think I'll try it in FM26 when it's fixed :D 

Started an unemployed game. Ended in Japanese 2nd tier 12 points adrift with 11 games. Won the last 6 for a miracle survival

I should be automatic club legend but Board and Fans both disappointed about my performance

16 hours ago, tomav84 said:

DOF mode would be good, getting to buy the players, hire/fire managers etc. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Milfner said:

DOF mode would be good, getting to buy the players, hire/fire managers etc. 

interesting idea. they don't necessarily hire/fire managers but acting as that middle man between manager and board. like recommending to sack the manager, or rejecting a manger's suggestion of a player, or suggesting players to the manager. working with manager if tactics aren't working etc

Anyone playing this years game found that there seems to be a big 'memory leak' the longer you go on into it? I've never noticed it before, but it feels like every season it's getting ever so slightly slower, everything from loading the Scouting screen, the post match press conference to the main menu and to loading the next game. I know it's pretty data heavy, but CPU stats seem absolutely fine when I look at the usage.

It definitely felt quicker at the start of the career, and even our network game seems to whizz by when compared to my one player game.

Â