Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

Looking at the thread from when the badge was announced, the general feeling was that it's a clear upgrade from the Lerner badge while being fairly safe and unremarkable. Nice but not a knockout. 

A few were glowingly positive (nick76 leading the charge) and nobody hated it but there are lots of posts about it being nice but a bit of a missed opportunity.  

• Like 1

"I think it's a shame to move away from it so soon - and perhaps if we led with this throughout the club rather than holding onto the old crest, it would have been accepted even more."

That is the whole point that pissew people like me off. We were all set for a big launch and then Heck came in and announced we were keeping the old badge everywhere except the kit and villa would monitor reaction. He then announced that reaction to the new badge was muted so we would start again. Of course reaction was muted when you tried to hide it Mr Heck.

• Like 2

Given the FAB replies tonight to the Clubs meeting notes from the 20th Dec, it looks likes we are screwed with the new badge going by the FAB’s response to the new crest.  Heck’s just doing what he wants.

Edited by nick76

On 24/12/2023 at 18:18, Stevo985 said:

It would make you wonder what the real driver was

I’m now convinced the driver is cost. 

A full rebrand is expensive. Changing every badge on every wall, stand, letterhead etc costs a lot

Having read the FAB notes and more details on how the badge is just a small change from the Lerner badge, I now think they’ve gone for that because it’s cheaper. 

• Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

A full rebrand is expensive. Changing every badge on every wall, stand, letterhead etc costs a lot

Having read the FAB notes and more details on how the badge is just a small change from the Lerner badge, I now think they’ve gone for that because it’s cheaper. 

Forgive me but isn’t a small change just as costly as a complete change? Surely a change is a change! Obviously I don’t know what the change is, but if it’s, let’s say, the lion facing the other way, that’s going to be a lot of work anyway…?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Forgive me but isn’t a small change just as costly as a complete change? Surely a change is a change! Obviously I don’t know what the change is, but if it’s, let’s say, the lion facing the other way, that’s going to be a lot of work anyway…?

For digital and print then get. But for physical things I imagine it allows you to keep a lot of the current badges the same.  Or tweak them slightly. 

Changing a shield to a round badge would be difficult. Keeping the exact same footprint would probably cut corners. 

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

For digital and print then get. But for physical things I imagine it allows you to keep a lot of the current badges the same.  Or tweak them slightly. 

Changing a shield to a round badge would be difficult. Keeping the exact same footprint would probably cut corners. 

Jesus. Either way, all sounds like a bit of a disaster doesn’t it. What on earth are we playing at. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What can it possibly cost, 3 days of Digne's wages? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They're going to have to change it anyway. The shape doesn't make a difference. 

I struggle to believe that is the reason. 

1 minute ago, Condimentalist said:

I think there are loads of places it absolutely doesn't matter - the logo on the witton lane stand for example, or on the top of the villa shop. It's in the middle of loads of space, the shape is of absolutely no consequence

At the other end of the scale, the Holte End mosaic. We never bothered updating it for the recent badge updates, but if we wanted to I could see how it's an awful lot more complicated to shove a different shape in there compared to just updating the inner details of the badge. I can't think of many more examples along those lines though, I must admit.

7 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

I just can’t think why they would be so against the round badge as to tear it all up and start again, only to make a small change to the Lerner badge instead, which everyone hates

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think there are loads of places it absolutely doesn't matter - the logo on the witton lane stand for example, or on the top of the villa shop. It's in the middle of loads of space, the shape is of absolutely no consequence

At the other end of the scale, the Holte End mosaic. We never bothered updating it for the recent badge updates, but if we wanted to I could see how it's an awful lot more complicated to shove a different shape in there compared to just updating the inner details of the badge. I can't think of many more examples along those lines though, I must admit.

A lot of them were changed when Xia made tweaks to the Lerner badge though albeit not the mosaic which I believe still says prepared?

25 minutes ago, villan95 said:

A lot of them were changed when Xia made tweaks to the Lerner badge though albeit not the mosaic which I believe still says prepared?

Lerner made tweaks to the Lerner badge.  Or at least his chairman Steve Hollis did early in 2016 before the takeover.

Â