Claret & Cub memberships 2023/24

Kingman

• 8 months later...

So, i've just had this email sent to me from the club re a change to t&c's

I suppose this is one way of increasing revenue!!!!!

Not a smart move if you ask me.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Yep, just got that email. Not happy about it as I refuse to have anything on auto-renewal as a general point of principle. 

I’ll be emailing them tomorrow to cancel the auto-renewal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yep, just got that email. Not happy about it as I refuse to have anything on auto-renewal as a general point of principle. 

I’ll be emailing them tomorrow to cancel the auto-renewal.

same here

You can cancel for free, no drama, with full refund, within 14 days of the membership being renewed.

I don't understand what people are getting pissy about?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

You can cancel for free, no drama, with full refund, within 14 days of the membership being renewed.

It’s principle. People want to have the choice to auto renew or not without having to send an email. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

If I buy something for a period of 12 months, then I’d like that service to be for 12 months.  Not for them to extend it for another 12 months unless I cancel.  

They used to let us choose when signing up whether you wanted auto-renewal or not. I signed up with no auto-renewal. They have now changed the terms of the contract I signed up to without my consent. 

Playstation Plus and some car insurance also try this trick and I don’t allow them to either. But at least they tell you at the start of the contract, not changing it during my contractual period. 

I’m certainly not going to accept this from Villa either. 

I do realise that I might be in a minority and that’s fine. That’s what the club are banking on, 99% won’t even read the email. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s principle. People want to have the choice to auto renew or not without having to send an email. 

You do have the choice. You can choose not to renew before the auto renewal date and you can choose to cancel after the auto-renewal date.

Just now, ender4 said:

If I buy something for a period of 12 months, then I’d like that service to be for 12 months.  Not for them to extend it for another 12 months unless I cancel.  

They used to let us choose when signing up whether you wanted auto-renewal or not. I signed up with no auto-renewal. They have now changed the terms of the contract I signed up to without my consent. 

Playstation Plus and some car insurance also try this trick and I don’t allow them to either. But at least they tell you at the start of the contract, not changing it during my contractual period. 

I’m certainly not going to accept this from Villa either. 

I do realise that I might be in a minority and that’s fine. That’s what the club are banking on, 99% won’t even read the email. 

So you're not going to renew because of this?

30 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

It's not that hard to read that people don't like anti-customer behaviour that's clearly a predatory attempt to profit from the forgetful

The functionality is already there, and they're taking it away because they reckon they can shake a few more pennies that way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It's not that hard to read that people don't like anti-customer behaviour that's clearly a predatory attempt to profit from the forgetful

The functionality is already there, and they're taking it away because they reckon they can shake a few more pennies that way. 

Takes thirty seconds to send an email and cancel. I guess some people don't have thirty seconds spare, each to their own. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Don_Simon said:

Takes thirty seconds to send an email and cancel. I guess some people don't have thirty seconds spare, each to their own. 

It's not about it being some incredibly onerous task. It's like you reply before reading the post you're replying to.

Let's try this another way: Why do you think they've made this change?

34 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

The functionality is currently in place but the club has decided to remove that for no other reason than to cash in on those who forget.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's not about it being some incredibly onerous task. It's like you reply before reading the post you're replying to.

Let's try this another way: Why do you think they've made this change?

Probably for the reasons stated by many in the thread, incase people forget.

My only point is that it's not that big of a deal. If you forget, you'll notice £50 has left your account and then get the money back when you tell them you don't want to renew. In a world full of massive problems, focussing on this tiny one seems counter-productive. Like I said, each to their own.

• Confused 1

Not a fan of this underhanded tactic, as already pointed out by many above, there is one reason and one reason only for this change and that’s to capture those who forget. 

It also means they don’t need to incentivise renewal. Last year there was an offer if you renewed early you got a few quid off (around 20% I think), this made it worth my while for our 3 memberships as it effectively covered the huge postage cost that comes with being an overseas member, with this change its unlikely we will see similar offers again. 

Will I renew anyway? Yeah probably. Has it pi**ed me off? Definitely. Another step in the “customers, not fans” direction. 

• Like 2

Â