Saudi Pro League

tomav84

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I was watching a programme last night about Britains expensive houses.

There was a 5 bedroom apartment for sale for £25m.

Even rich millionaire footballers will be looking up the scale of houses, cars, sports teams that they can’t afford wishing they had more money.

There’s many things more Henderson could do or buy if his salary goes from £7m a year to £35m a year.

• Haha 1

How much is Gerrard on then? Cos if even if I am the shittest manager on the planet, if I'm Steven Gerrard there's no **** way I'm letting Jordan Henderson be paid more then me, no matter how much of a sound lad he is.

At the very least I'd be saying I'm getting you 700k a week, you pass 200k on to me la.

7 minutes ago, villanmac said:

How much is Gerrard on then? Cos if even if I am the shittest manager on the planet, if I'm Steven Gerrard there's no **** way I'm letting Jordan Henderson be paid more then me, no matter how much of a sound lad he is.

At the very least I'd be saying I'm getting you 700k a week, you pass 200k on to me la.

Managers are almost always on less than their higher paid players.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah sure, nah you guys are right, nothing to see here, all perfectly normal and inkeeping with the world as is.

No that's the opposite of what I'm saying

When someone who already gets paid £200k a week gets offered money that could be considered life changing there's plenty to see, it's absolutely mental, him being offered that kind of wage should be scrutinised and criticised

My thing is I don't particularly blame Henderson for taking it.... The criticism seems to be angled more towards the player and that's what I don't agree with of course he's going to take it

I see both points - there's a bunch more money for footballers to fritter away available from mega rich clubs...

...but equally all that additional money isn't life changing.  Henderson's life will be identical, just in a different nation.  Nothing will change for him.

There are many wealthier people around than footballers who spend their money in different ways. 

The notion that premier league footballers on £100k to £200k per week have reached the top tier of wealth and any more money is unspendable is wrong.

Especially someone at the end of their career who has won it all, it makes more sense to give the pension fund a massive boost.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

There are many wealthier people around than footballers who spend their money in different ways. 

The notion that premier league footballers on £100k to £200k per week have reached the top tier of wealth and any more money is unspendable is wrong.

Especially someone at the end of their career who has won it all, it makes more sense to give the pension fund a massive boost.

Its not that hard to imagine either surely

If you won £50m on the lottery what would you do with it? How many houses, cars etc would you buy? How much money would you give to your parents or your brothers / sisters? How much would you give to your mates, your cousins, charity?

Now what would you do if you won £150m? The difference to me and my spending probably wouldn't be that big, the difference to my mates would be huge

3 years in SA and he's buying mansions for his aunties and uncles

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its not that hard to imagine either surely

If you won £50m on the lottery what would you do with it? How many houses, cars etc would you buy? How much money would you give to your parents or your brothers / sisters? How much would you give to your mates, your cousins, charity?

Now what would you do if you won £150m? The difference to me and my spending probably wouldn't be that big, the difference to my mates would be huge

3 years in SA and he's buying mansions for his aunties and uncles

Even if he didn’t like his friends and family, he could buy himself a beachfront mansion in Miami or Malibu, probably couldn’t do that without the Saudi money.

He could get himself a collection of classic Ferrari’s. 

It unlocks another tier of amazing opportunities he doesn’t currently have even though he’s very wealthy already.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Genie said:

No-one has said this at all.

It's just not a life changing jump in money.  "All" it does is give more power to frivolous spending.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

It's just not a life changing jump in money.  "All" it does is give more power to frivolous spending.

You could say that about someone going from £30k a year to £45k a year.

• Like 2

Just now, bobzy said:

You could, but you'd be wrong.

The more money people have the more nice things they can have or do. There’s a world of nice things to have or do for people earning more than £5m a year.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

The more money people have the more nice things they can have or do. There’s a world of nice things to have or do for people earning more than £5m a year.

Right.  But it's not life changing.  Their life is basically unaffected.  They'll still have private drivers and schools for their kids and sports cars and whatever else.  Can they now afford to buy a Bugatti instead of just a Lambo?  Sure.  A fourth holiday home?  Of course.  But their life won't be changed because they're already obscenely rich and they're just adding to it.

Whereas a jump from £30k to £45k a year for someone actually opens up opportunities that could change a life.  Maybe the ability to move to a safer area or actually afford a holiday or whatever.  It's a genuine life changing jump.

Going from (crude calc) £10m a year to even £30m a year is just additional spending power on luxuries.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Right.  But it's not life changing.  Their life is basically unaffected.  They'll still have private drivers and schools for their kids and sports cars and whatever else.  Can they now afford to buy a Bugatti instead of just a Lambo?  Sure.  A fourth holiday home?  Of course.  But their life won't be changed because they're already obscenely rich and they're just adding to it.

Whereas a jump from £30k to £45k a year for someone actually opens up opportunities that could change a life.  Maybe the ability to move to a safer area or actually afford a holiday or whatever.  It's a genuine life changing jump.

Going from (crude calc) £10m a year to even £30m a year is just additional spending power on luxuries.

Makes you wonder why he’s going to go through the upheaval of moving to a backward shit hole then if his life won’t change at all…

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Like I said it gives him the ability to impact more of the lives around him

Not everyone would simply piss it all away

For me it would be the opportunity to give my brother and parents £5m each rather than £1m, my nieces and nephews can get £1m each too

You don't think that's life changing? Or can people not look past the idea that he's doing it all for himself and his own greed

Just now, Genie said:

Makes you wonder why he’s going to go through the upheaval of moving to a backward shit hole then if his life won’t change at all…

Some people like spending a lot of money on things they don't "need".  Others like to be philanthropic with it.  Who knows what his motivation is.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Like I said it gives him the ability to impact more of the lives around him

Not everyone would simply piss it all away

For me it would be the opportunity to give my brother and parents £5m each rather than £1m, my nieces and nephews can get £1m each too

You don't think that's life changing? Or can people not look past the idea that he's doing it all for himself and his own greed

When people talk about life changing amounts, it's attributed to that person.  It's never "oh this is a life changing amount... for my nephew".

Of course he could decide to give loads away.  Maybe he'll invest a ton of money in Sunderland.  Who knows.

Â