Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

41 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Fans don't play the game though...... it doesn't matter what the fans want to happen... 9 times out of 10, this City team beat Spurs but that 1 in 10 chance is the one that often bites Villa.

I know they don’t but for Spurs to have any chance of beating City they need all the fans behind them.  They won’t have that. It will be a strange atmosphere.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

The funniest possible outcome will be Spurs losing to Burnley then beating Man City

If Spurs lose to Burnley they will bend over against City with the blessing of the fans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I know they don’t but for Spurs to have any chance of beating City they need all the fans behind them.  They won’t have that. It will be a strange atmosphere.

Agreed... its going to be bizarre

• Like 1

At this stage of the season almost every team wants to win for various reasons  -  higher posiion more money, new contracts, titles, Europe, survival etc.   So I don't think any of the teams being discussed will do anything other than give it a right go. Even Sheffield United who are both d0g d00 and are managed by a total eejit, will want to perform well as their bonkers owner will otherwise change the manager and sell players again before next season.

We can sit and flap over every if and but but for me its pointless. I'm now ignoring the games this weekend and just looking forward to our last home game of the season against Liverpool which should be a good game regardless 👍

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

The fact that some of you are suggesting that if Arsenal lose to Manure that Guardiola will settle for a point against Tottenham is blowing my mind. In what world would he ever settle for a point? If anything, Arsenal failing to win will make him expect his team to get the job done on Tuesday even more. This is just bed wetting purely for the sake of it.

Given that some have more faith in Spurs getting points and that we won’t is just as bizarre. People are inventing scenarios to get mad about. It’s baffling. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Agreed... its going to be bizarre

I remember a similar situation where Everton played City and if they beat them Liverpool would win the league. 

The fans cheered when City scored ! 

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Given that some have more faith in Spurs getting points and that we won’t is just as bizarre. People are inventing scenarios to get bad about. It’s baffling. 

To suggest we won’t get any more points is understandable as the players are running on fumes. But it’s still more likely we could get points than it is of Spurs beating City.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

To suggest we won’t get any more points is understandable as the players are running on fumes. But it’s still more likely we could get points than it is of Spurs beating City.

Agreed. I just wish some would resist saying silly things like we won’t score again this season. We simply don’t know. Unai has proven time and time again how to bounce back from a defeat. Despite the defeat, I saw more effort than against Brighton for the most part. People are free to disagree, but I’m confident that we can do something with the games remaining. 

• Like 1

I still think we have the points we need, but after last night, I am starting to think what if?  Manchester United somehow beat Arsenal on Sunday and Manchester City go to Spurs on Tuesday, just needing to win one of their last two games to be champions. Hopefully we won't need to worry about that potential scenario on or after Monday, I guess in any case, they would just beat Spurs to get it over and done with. 🤞

5 pivotal games. Everything has to go Spurs way, just one has to go ours. Both sides in poor form for whatever reasons.

Plenty of permutations, but for me the Burnley game is still the huge one. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Low scoring win for Spurs against Burnley would be something to cheer.

Agree. Would mean they pretty much have to beat City and smash Sheffield by a cricket score.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, allani said:

"Either the players pull themselves together, show some fight and desire and energy" - says all that needs to be said.  The players will be hurting after last night.  They need support not idiots jumping on their backs and telling them that they are throwing the season away.  It doesn't matter how many games you attend - that type of attitude is not what the players need nor what they deserve.  Indeed the fewer people that turn up to VP with that attitude the better.

Right just some advice, I know this place is a cesspit at times but don’t start calling other posters idiots. I can bet you very likely wouldn’t have the guts to say it to my face so don’t say it on here, it isn’t cool. I haven’t called you any names. If you want to start name calling do it in a private message and we’ll take it from there.

And second piece of advice, don’t tell other fans how they should or shouldn’t react. Again, I didn’t tell you how to react so you can’t tell me how I should feel. We do after all live in a democracy where freedom of speech is still allowed. If you don’t like what I say you can always just ignore me.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Agree. Would mean they pretty much have to beat City and smash Sheffield by a cricket score.

Draw against City then smash Sheffield

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Indeed the fewer people that turn up to VP with that attitude the better.

I certainly won't be turning up to VP so, unless they read this forum, there's no danger of my voice throwing them off their game!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

The fact that some of you are suggesting that if Arsenal lose to Manure that Guardiola will settle for a point against Tottenham is blowing my mind. In what world would he ever settle for a point? If anything, Arsenal failing to win will make him expect his team to get the job done on Tuesday even more. This is just bed wetting purely for the sake of it.

Yep he'd want it done before the final day if the opportunity arises. Can rest players v West Ham to save for the cup final.

Very odd analogy they'd effectively give up a fixture and just gamble everything on the final day given how they nearly blew it v us two years ago.

11 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Draw against City then smash Sheffield

Are they actually playing well enough to beat Sheffield by 6 or 7? Newcastle are hence they did it a few weeks back. However Sheffield United also lost lost 3-1 to Liverpool at Anfield and 4-2 at Man. United so I'm not sure why a misfiring Spurs (just 3 goals in last 5 away games) can just go and do it no problem.

With the way they're playing Brereton Diaz will get chances on the break against them and his goals ratio since joining in January is pretty good.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Are they actually playing well enough to beat Sheffield by 6 or 7? Newcastle are hence they did it a few weeks back. However Sheffield United also lost lost 3-1 to Liverpool at Anfield and 4-2 at Man. United so I'm not sure why a misfiring Spurs (just 3 goals in last 5 away games) can just go and do it no problem.

With the way they're playing Brereton Diaz will get chances on the break against them and his goals ratio since joining in January is pretty good.

It would be Spursy for them to beat City then lose to the blades

• Like 1