Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

28 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

So are we talking about performance or results here?

Objectively, we've played well in our last 2 league matches and could have had 8 goals. As it goes we've scored 6 and conceded 2.

From a performance perspective, you could say the Arsenal game (after the goal) was an indicator that the players were running out of steam and results might be about to change. We won a game that we probably deserved to lose.

By that measure, we're now in better "form" having played well in our last 2 league games.

If it's just results that determine form, we've lost 2 league games since 5th November. Both against relatively "in-form" teams.

This isn't a post I'd have written on Sunday night, but right now I'm feeling optimistic purely based on what I watched in our last 2 league games. 

I think we weren't great against Arsenal because we were tired after playing Man City three days earlier.

The poor form has come (I think) from too many players out of form at the same time (Dougie, Kamara before this disastrous injury, McGinn, Diaby, even Watkins with his goal drought up until the Newcastle game) and only really Bailey staying consistent, and injuries to key players at the back. That's why Pau needs to come back into the team ASAP because we invariably do much better with him in the team than when he's missing. Digne too I think with Moreno in for the European games. 

As I said if we win the next three games the mood changes of course. Encouraging performance against Man Utd but we need wins if we're to stay the course. 

• Like 2

As much as I hope that yet another bit of devastating injury news galvanises the squad to push on, a real siege mentality, there's only so much they can do.

I know that injuries can affect every club, but (as many posters have said before) the drop off between our first XI and the bench is massive for us. We don't have the luxury of stockpiling players and then, when a key player gets injured wonder if the £75m bloke on the bench might be up to snuff. We have to hope that Tim et al rise to the occasion.

One thing is for certain: this bunch of f**king heroes need our support more than ever. No, they aren't bottlers. Yes, they are millionaires. But, for f**k's sake, they wear claret and blue and a badge most of us would kill to have on our chest: they need us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

And that was 24 hours before we'd even lost against Utd 😬

It's the hope that kills you.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m not going to lie. I’m now fearing the worst (6th) which at the start of the season would have been great but now will be a real anti climax. Damn you injuries !!

That’s the hangover talking! We are still in the CL race and it’s still ours to lose and we have Emery…

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m not going to lie. I’m now fearing the worst (6th) which at the start of the season would have been great but now will be a real anti climax. Damn you injuries !!

I was expecting that, anyway, so now its a fight for that 6th, spot.

We cannot change the injuries, so lets focus on the things we can change.....The perception of the young ones, can change, and we the fans can help to change it, if they are given a chance.

I for one, will look forward to getting behind them, and them developing in to the first team.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was expecting that, anyway, so now its a fight for that 6th, spot.

We cannot change the injuries, so lets focus on the things we can change.....The perception of the young ones, can change, and we the fans can help to change it, if they are given a chance.

I for one, will look forward to getting behind them, and them developing in to the first team.

You think we will have to fight just to get 6th place?

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You think we will have to fight just to get 6th place?

Yes.

but I think we will have to fight, for every fixture, in this league.

Just now, TRO said:

Yes.

but I think we will have to fight, for every fixture, in this league.

Mate, I respect your opinion generally but this is totally bonkers.  Neither Newcastle or West Ham are overtaking us especially being 10 points behind us.  We are still fighting for 4th and 5th, no reason we can’t get one of them….no way we dropping to 7th.

• Like 1

From 13th April, we have a 4-match run of Brentford (h), Arsenal (a), Bournemouth (h), Chelsea (h).

In the same period, Spurs have Newcastle (a), Man City (h), Arsenal (h), Liverpool (a).

There is still a lot of ground to be covered in this race.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That’s the hangover talking! We are still in the CL race and it’s still ours to lose and we have Emery…

I think injuries to a squad are in stages :

• Lose the edge
  • Stretches a few results
  • Decimates the squad

I think we are there Nick....These 2 latest Blows, are a landslide.

Unai, will not get us out of this, with the initial targets in place.....we have to be fair here, he's had a hole blown in his fishing net.

I will back him, to patch things up, do his best......and not expect anything far reaching from him...he is a great manager, but not a miracle worker.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Mate, I respect your opinion generally but this is totally bonkers.  Neither Newcastle or West Ham are overtaking us especially being 10 points behind us.  We are still fighting for 4th and 5th, no reason we can’t get one of them….no way we dropping to 7th.

I think Man U will be a sore spot for us....just my opinion....that leaves us in 6th....and that is by no means certain.

We have just had the heart ripped out of our team..... we have to factor that in to our thinking.

I think it’s realistic that Man United overtake us (but we have a 5-point gap so that’s on us) and it’s realistic we don’t overhaul Spurs (but we easily could). But I think the idea of us falling behind Newcastle/Brighton/West Ham and not getting top 6 is a stretch for me.

Personally I thought 5th three months ago and I still think 5th today.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:
  • We have a 5 point gap
  • Ramsey is back and fresh and looked almost back to match fit
  • Torres is all but back and will bring back his excellence
  • Tielemans is back and up to speed
  • Moreno and Digne are back to provide competition for each other
  • Bailey is flying and confident with a new contract
  • Diaby has looked better with his last two sub appearances 
  • We have Martinez, Dougie and Watkins still there
  • Konsa will be back in a few weeks.

So losing Kamara is a big blow but all these players coming back fresh after injury, some really key players…

We looked much better against Man U and any other day would’ve won that…

Then we have the magician that is Emery…

We are in a good place….lost a key player but I’m optimistic for the rest of the season…

I admire your optimism. Let’s keep the faith .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:
  • We have a 5 point gap
  • Ramsey is back and fresh and looked almost back to match fit
  • Torres is all but back and will bring back his excellence
  • Tielemans is back and up to speed
  • Moreno and Digne are back to provide competition for each other
  • Bailey is flying and confident with a new contract
  • Diaby has looked better with his last two sub appearances 
  • We have Martinez, Dougie and Watkins still there
  • Konsa will be back in a few weeks.

So losing Kamara is a big blow but all these players coming back fresh after injury, some really key players…

We looked much better against Man U and any other day would’ve won that…

Then we have the magician that is Emery…

We are in a good place….lost a key player but I’m optimistic for the rest of the season…

I hope for all that.

But what I hope for, and what I think is 2 different things.....my head has always got the better, of my heart. I wish at times, it was the other way around.

ps I was not aware that Konsa, would return, that quick, so thats a plus for me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I hope for all that.

But what I hope for, and what I think is 2 different things.....my head has always got the better, of my heart. I wish at times, it was the other way around.

ps I was not aware that Konsa, would return, that quick, so thats a plus for me.

My head says 4th or 5th, my heart says trust in Emery.

I’m surprised so many suddenly think so many teams around us are suddenly going to start flying.  Man U have monthly crises so one is due,  Spurs are called Spursy for a reason, West Ham just got smashed 6-0 and Newcastle have the same league form as us in the last six games and we’ve been poor so any upside and that 10 point gap should be enough.

The problem with some fans on here is when we have a problem then suddenly fans assume that all the teams around us will become Man City, we’ll they aren’t and they will have problems…

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

My head says 4th or 5th, my heart says trust in Emery.

I’m surprised so many suddenly think so many teams around us are suddenly going to start flying.  Man U have monthly crises so one is due,  Spurs are called Spursy for a reason, West Ham just got smashed 6-0 and Newcastle have the same league form as us in the last six games and we’ve been poor so any upside and that 10 point gap should be enough.

The problem with some fans on here is when we have a problem then suddenly fans assume that all the teams around us will become Man City, we’ll they aren’t and they will have problems…

It's a common thing for VT. Every team that beats us are juggernauts. We're suddenly relegation form.

Our 6 losses this year are Newcastle x2, United x2, Forest and Liverpool.

People fear our current form, but I the underlying numbers really don't back it up in terms of completely falling off a cliff.

It will be a fight but the doom and gloom can be lifted easily with 6 or 9 points in the next 3.

Though - if we lose all 3 or draw all 3 then we might get an actual melt down!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

It's a common thing for VT. Every team that beats us are juggernauts. We're suddenly relegation form.

Our 6 losses this year are Newcastle x2, United x2, Forest and Liverpool.

People fear our current form, but I the underlying numbers really don't back it up in terms of completely falling off a cliff.

It will be a fight but the doom and gloom can be lifted easily with 6 or 9 points in the next 3.

Though - if we lose all 3 or draw all 3 then we might get an actual melt down!

Looking at the losses - Forest was an aberration but Newcastle/United/Liverpool all have the same direct effectiveness that has been Unai's Achilles on defense.

Going through the fixture list, only Spurs (who with the fortuitous of our offside trap - held it off), Chelsea, and Liverpool give me the same stomach ulcer when thinking of hitting it over the top.

The other remaining teams don't strike me with as much fear with their direct play. Though Luton's corner heading machines will be ugly.

• Like 1