Midweek Football 15/18 May

andykeenan

2 minutes ago, Giro said:

The greatest play off game I’ve ever seen 

You don't remember Steve Bruce Aston Villa vs Tony Pulis Middlesbrough in 2018. People were delighted we got it twice

• Haha 2

Just now, WHY said:

Charlton v Sunderland 4-4 play off final was better imo

Nah no way that was a one off game. How on earth did Peterborough blow that? I would be absolutely sick. You would never forget that 

1 hour ago, Django_Zooms said:

Fiorentina score in the 130th minute of extra time, to play West Ham in the final.

So then so far the 2 conference league finals has produced 2 Italian clubs, 1 English and 1 dutch clubs when the idea was for the little leagues to have their day out.

All kicked off in Holland at the end of Hammers v Alkmaar, AZ ultras stormed the hammers away end, or the bit were the players families were situated. There is video of it on social media, marlon harewood is in the section too. Suppose we will have to deal with that type of thing on european trips as they will see villa as a big english club and want to fight because of it.

4 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

All kicked off in Holland at the end of Hammers v Alkmaar, AZ ultras stormed the hammers away end, or the bit were the players families were situated. There is video of it on social media, marlon harewood is in the section too. Suppose we will have to deal with that type of thing on european trips as they will see villa as a big english club and want to fight because of it.

Dutch football has had hooligan problems in recent weeks. West Ham infamous reputation also probably inspired the idiots to attack them

Its not a common issue in Europe

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Mourinho has absolutely done a Mourinho semi final special. 1 shot, 28% possession and got the 0-0 draw he wanted

Two European juggernauts in the final

Mourinho vs Sevilla.

It could be argued the Europa league has been more exciting the the CL this season.

30 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Two European juggernauts in the final

Mourinho vs Sevilla.

It could be argued the Europa league has been more exciting the the CL this season.

Doing the impossible and beating Sevilla in a Europa League final will probably be Mourinho greatest achievement 

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Doing the impossible and beating Sevilla in a Europa League final will probably be Mourinho greatest achievement 

Even better than finishing 2nd with that United team 😂

Mourinho getting Roma to EL final is a bigger achievement than Pep and his billion dollar squad getting to CL final.

Edited by duke313

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Europa League has definitely been a more competitive competition than the CL, but it has the same problem of the Championship compared to the PL. Money

32 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Mourinho getting Roma to EL final is a bigger achievement than Pep and his billion dollar squad getting to CL final.

Don't fully understand the weird obsession with discrediting Man City getting to the CL final, but Roma is not a bigger achievement at all, surely?  They're a huge side in the Europa League setup and have sort of scraped their way to the final.

Lost away to Ludogorets and at home to Real Betis coming 2nd in what looks like a pretty weak group (Betis top, HJK of Finland the other side in the group), edged RB Salzburg in the knockout round (losing away, winning at home), fair enough they beat Real Sociedad pretty comfortably, extra time to get past Feyenoord and then a Mourinho defensive masterclass to edge Leverkusen.

Whereas Man City top a group containing Dortmund and Sevilla (EL finalists, beaten Man Utd and Juve en route to the final), then hammer all of Leipzig, Bayern and Real Madrid to reach the final.

I mean, sure, Man City have far greater resources than most clubs in the World, but that's a tough run in European competition standards and they've made it look easy as anything.

Edited by bobzy

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Don't fully understand the weird obsession with discrediting Man City getting to the CL final, but Roma is not a bigger achievement at all, surely?  They're a huge side in the Europa League setup and have sort of scraped their way to the final.

Lost away to Ludogorets and at home to Real Betis coming 2nd in what looks like a pretty weak group (Betis top, HJK of Finland the other side in the group), edged RB Salzburg in the knockout round (losing away, winning at home), fair enough they beat Real Sociedad pretty comfortably, extra time to get past Feyenoord and then a Mourinho defensive masterclass to edge Leverkusen.

Whereas Man City top a group containing Dortmund and Sevilla (EL finalists, beaten Man Utd and Juve en route to the final), then hammer all of Leipzig, Bayern and Real Madrid to reach the final.

I mean, sure, Man City have far greater resources than most clubs in the World, but that's a tough run in European competition standards and they've made it look easy as anything.

Cheating isn't an achievement.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Cheating isn't an achievement.

Because no other club in the history of football has ever cheated the system.

I understand disliking them, I understand wanting them banned from football for eternity etc. but to say that it's somehow just easy to win everything is just wrong.  They've made 2 European giants (who have previously also cheated the system, do we want them banned too?) to look very poor.

If City win the CL it would be great if the media really push the cheating thing. Like Max Verstappen in the first Championship win. Every time they try and revel in it they should be reminded of the 115 charges for financial cheating so they can’t fully enjoy it.

Wont happen of course. It’ll go the other way, they’ll be told how amazing they are for the sport.

20 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I understand disliking them, I understand wanting them banned from football for eternity etc. but to say that it's somehow just easy to win everything is just wrong.  They've made 2 European giants (who have previously also cheated the system, do we want them banned too?) to look very poor.

How did Bayern especially cheat the system?

City are on a level of Marseille 93

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Haven’t you made a point of discrediting Wrexham winning the league over and over again?

19 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Haven’t you made a point of discrediting Wrexham winning the league over and over again?

Nope, not discredited - just said they've been financially doped; which, of course, Man City have as well.

Wrexham setting a National League record of 111 points is still impressive, despite their advantage.  Man City hammering Bayern and Real is still impressive, despite their advantage.

Edit:  Although I've probably said that Wrexham should coast the league, which they should!

Edited by bobzy

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

How did Bayern especially cheat the system?

City are on a level of Marseille 93

From memory (it was a while back), they had dodgy sponsorship dealings and payments very much "off the record".  There was something about central revenue pots which this circumnavigated - can't remember exactly what happened other than German clubs hating Bayern.

Â