Mateu Alemany

PieFacE

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Because that was the remit of his job. And he succeeded and proven a big loss for the club. Why you seem so keen to undermine it and cherry pick points over others is beyond me. 

Because Barcelona is one of the worst run teams in world football and have been financial doping for ages. They have hardly been a success since he got there as well

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Because Barcelona is one of the worst run teams in world football and have been financial doping for ages. They have hardly been a success since he got there as well

And there are a manifold number of reasons for it. It’s not just on his hands though. 

Imagine if everybody in our current upper management/recruitment team stayed.

Purslow, the smarmy PR-centric businessman to grease whatever important social wheels need greasing

Alemany, the master negotiator with top tier football-world contacts

and Lange, 

image.jpeg.4a8cc9ac3ec020690713ae7504150257.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The problem with him coming from Barca is you can argue “it’s Barca of course they can sign players”, probably worth remembering how financially dire they are and that probably made the job 10x more difficult. I’m not sure European success is an indication of his ability to “build a team” either. In that case Man City need a new director of football. More news is coming out of barcas struggles and I wonder if this is just an opportunity for him to escape it, work with a good manager who he probably respects, seen our potential based on this seasons performance and promised more freedom in the job. I’m just going to enjoy it 

This pretty much confirms we are going to be heavily investing in La Liga talent moving forward and looking more towards South America. Alemany kept a keen eye on youth tournaments across South America. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

And there are a manifold number of reasons for it. It’s not just on his hands though. 

Of course not but he was signing players they couldnt really afford and they used many loopholes to register them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Of course not but he was signing players they couldnt really afford and they used many loopholes to register them

Is that a bad thing if he was delivering what his employers asked of him? 

Edited by MrBlack

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

That’s not how Barca operate though is it? He had to work in a ridiculous environment for a basket case club, finding ways to cut their bloated wage structure to register players. This is getting very circular now. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Assuming he's been brought in to do more of a Valencia role here than the role he performed at Barcelona makes a lot of sense. 

The fact he then has experience of Barcelona and operating at the highest levels to boot is future proofing us. 

It means he has what it takes to get us there using signings for the future (a la Valencia) and the contacts to make the big signings if/when we need them (a la Barca).

Thinking about his time at barca he was probably only doing what was asked of him. And finding ways to sign the likes of Lewndowski, when all logic suggests they shouldn't have been able to afford him, probably isn't a bad reflection on him. The fact it screws the club ober when they've got no TV rights income in 4 years time, probably wasn't his remit. I can't imagine our owners being so reckless with their demands, but nice to know he's got the capability to make anything work. 

Sensible post. 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You’re making it sound like he was going against the club here, it’s very likely they wanted the players and he did everything he could to get them. 

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He doesn't set the budget though. He's told how much he has to work with and works within those parameters. If those setting the funds can't get their numbers right, it's not exactly his fault.

Edited by Beastmix

3 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

The problem with him coming from Barca is you can argue “it’s Barca of course they can sign players”, probably worth remembering how financially dire they are and that probably made the job 10x more difficult. I’m not sure European success is an indication of his ability to “build a team” either. In that case Man City need a new director of football. More news is coming out of barcas struggles and I wonder if this is just an opportunity for him to escape it, work with a good manager who he probably respects, seen our potential based on this seasons performance and promised more freedom in the job. I’m just going to enjoy 

Going from a huge profile role where he has fulfilled most of the clubs remit. Still win the league . Done.

Now gets to have a fun job where the budget is only limited by ffp . And he can buy and sell within that by working with Unai. 

I think we will see massive changes in rhe summer squad wise. Players going that we hadnt even considered going. And players we could never imagine buying coming to us. 

This kind of move isnt for a status quo position. Its for a total upheaval and a real push to take us to the next level. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

The most exciting thing about all this is the reason he’s coming here. It’s all well and good bringing in high quality people in powerful positions, but you still need to give them the tools to succeed.

This guy seems like he could pick any club in the world to go and work at and yet he’s ended up here…. Why? What has he been promised?

Super exciting. 

By all accounts a massive salary that FCB can't match!

The reported unlimited budget to spend is BS though we simply don't have an unlimited budget.

2 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

By all accounts a massive salary that FCB can't match!

The reported unlimited budget to spend is BS though we simply don't have an unlimited budget.

I've read it as 'unlimited, within the boundaries of FFP' 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

I've read it as 'unlimited, within the boundaries of FFP' 

Purslow knows FFP very well - we are building an incredible backroom team top to bottom 

• Like 1

Â