John Motson

GlobalVillan

Gone at 77.

The sound of football for me as a kid. FA Cup 3rd round day, along with Tonny Gubba and Barry Davies.

Then theres the England internationals, the Cup final and the early editions of FIFA on the PlayStation.

Legend.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Gone at 77.

The sound of football for me as a kid. FA Cup 3rd round day, along with Tonny Gubba and Barry Davies.

Then theres the England internationals, the Cup final and the early editions of FIFA on the PlayStation.

Legend.

Blimey that's a big one. Seemed in good health as well. I don't think you have such a connection between a sport and commentator nowadays, due to the proliferation of tv channels. Coleman, Aliss, Walker, O'Sullevan, Arlott, and now Motty. All gone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

More demotic than Wolstenholme, less hysterical than Coleman and less crassly opinionated than the present lot.

His iconic sheepskin should remind us that snow was not considered an excuse to cancel the third round of the FA Cup, or demand an enquiry if there was ice on the pitch.

He will forever stand as a reminder of a time when football fans didn't need to be told what was happening on the pitch by a multitude of hangers-on.

He was knowledgeable without being opinionated and also very likeable.

Now at rest in the great gantry in the sky.

RIP!

I agree with all of that, well said.

For me, the GOAT, a master of his craft.

RIP Motty 😔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

More demotic than Wolstenholme, less hysterical than Coleman and less crassly opinionated than the present lot.

His iconic sheepskin should remind us that snow was not considered an excuse to cancel the third round of the FA Cup, or demand an enquiry if there was ice on the pitch.

He will forever stand as a reminder of a time when football fans didn't need to be told what was happening on the pitch by a multitude of hangers-on.

He was knowledgeable without being opinionated and also very likeable.

Now at rest in the great gantry in the sky.

RIP!

Hear, hear.

• Like 1

While I think that Barry Davies is/was the superior commentator, John Motson’s style obviously was what people associate when it comes football commentary.

Not just the voice but the anorak persona he had. The current crop just don’t have that equivalent character about them. 

RIP

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

While I think that Barry Davies is/was the superior commentator, John Motson’s style obviously was what people associate when it comes football commentary.

Not just the voice but the anorak persona he had. The current crop just don’t have that equivalent character about them. 

RIP

Davies was the commensurate professional, the great all-round sports commentator. But Motty just lived and breathed football, I don't recall him doing anything else. There was a period in the mid 90's when Davies seemed to be picked for the bigger games than Motson but for most of the 80s and 90s Motson was the no 1 commentator on the Bebb, and Brian Moore on ITV.

I think there was a contest to pick two new bbc commentators and it may have been hosted by David Coleman and Barry Davies and John Motson won it. Motty was a true great and I will never for that Hereford v Newcastle cup tie goal

17 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Interestingly, I can't recall a single moment Motty/Villa moment.

Unless maybe Dean Saunders from 40 yards v Ipswich?

I remember he came on (BBC radio) after the game and said, "Forget goal of the season, we may just have seen the goal of century here today from Dean Saunders."

I can still hear his voice saying it. RIP

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I remember he came on (BBC radio) after the game and said, "Forget goal of the season, we may just have seen the goal of century here today from Dean Saunders."

I can still hear his voice saying it. RIP

Didnt even win Villa goal of the season 😉

• Like 1

Â