Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

18 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

I might be wrong but I think @Kiwivillan's position is that whilst additions might be nice, people need to have a bit more faith in the players already here. Lots of people calling for Olsen, Chambers, Dendoncker, Traore and Bailey to be replaced and replacements for Mings and Buendia too. All of those mentioned are good players capable of doing a great job for us, even if they aren't our glistening crown jewels. We can't overhaul the whole squad in one window. As it is we have moved out a lot of players for good money. Transfer rumours are exciting but our current players are actually perfectly good for what we need. If I'm wrong kiwi please correct me.

Not read anything that comprehensible up to now.

Definitely don't overall the whole squad in a window, no one has asked for that.

Today though, we didn't even fill the bench. And we had two keepers on it. If that doesn't show we could do with one more, I'm not sure what does.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

That implies starting XI. Doubt starting XI today bar Martinez gets changed and that's with Bailey, Tielemans, and Zaniolo on the bench and JJ and Moreno to come back

Yes that implies a better player than what we have 

35 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

And I'm confident we'll win absolutely nothing and underperform if he plays in too many games that matter

Me too, I’m fed up with the line of if Unai thinks this or that is right then there can be no questioning it.

Our back up keeper is crap, simple. I don’t care what anyone else says.

We have one right back and a player who can fill in who is one of 3 reliable centre back who we will have this year. Cash has shown he isn’t of the level of where we want to be hence why we played OAP Young over him last year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Me too, I’m fed up with the line of if Unai thinks this or that is right then there can be no questioning it.

Our back up keeper is crap, simple. I don’t care what anyone else says.

Please.

Show the Emery Police respect by referring to them by their full title.

Just watching MOTD now. He is so so crap :crylaugh:

6 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

First point - that's why I wrote that piece, to help those who couldn't work it out from the many posts he has said.

Second point - we have signed four players so far. Lots of people have asked for replacements for Mings and Buendia, a new right back, a new goalkeeper, a new striker and a replacement for Coutinho as well. That would be ten new players in one window. We have moved on or released ten players already. You don't call that overhauling the squad? Plenty of people have asked for these signings. Just read through the boards.

Third point - we have Martinez, Moreno, Dendoncker, Iroegbunam and Ramsey all due back in the next few days and weeks. Suddenly our bench looks fine without the need to panic buy a load of players. I'm not saying another signing or two won't be nice. It's just not as vital to save our season as you are making it out to be.

I think we agree to be honest. With the exception of a new keeper. We really do need one of those.

On 25/08/2023 at 12:43, Tomaszk said:

We do feel a bit light attacking wise but we have Coutinho and JJ to both return.

Not a huge issue for me if we leave it until Jan if there's no one out there we like look of.

Main thing for me is a back-up keeper.

Other minor thing was a striker if we need (we will) to rest Ollie. Duran isn't ready for PL IMO, but Zaniolo should be.

If Coutinho did go, I wouldn't say no to another attacker that can play across the pitch.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

I think we agree to be honest. With the exception of a new keeper. We really do need one of those.

If Coutinho did go, I wouldn't say no to another attacker that can play across the pitch.

Yep I agree with you on both those points too. The back four certainly seem less confident when he's in there, I just am not convinced it's near the top of Unai's priority list. I think his biggest problem though is that he obviously gets compare to Martinez all the time. Compared to the best in the world it's easy to highlight someone's weaknesses.  I'd like to see a more confident on the ball and claiming the ball keeper. It's just that they tend to be first choice keepers, and unlikely to want a spot o the bench.

If Coutinho does go, likewise I'd be happier with a new attacker coming in. But we will soon have McGinn, Ramsey, Bailey, Traore (who might still go if someone comes in), Diaby and Zaniolo competing for three spots. That's two quality (if sometimes inconsistent) players for each position. Then Buendia to return next season. Not vital but nice if we manage to bring someone in (as long as it's not Brennan Johnson, I don't know why, I just don't want him lol).

If we could add a better back-up keeper, another right back, another centre back (for this season alone with Mings out), and left-sided attacker and, a decent striker as either starter or back-up, we would absolutely challenge for that top 4 spot - nailed on. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

If we could add a better back-up keeper, another right back, another centre back (for this season alone with Mings out), and left-sided attacker and, a decent striker as either starter or back-up, we would absolutely challenge for that top 4 spot - nailed on. 

I’d be absolutely shocked if Villa bring in another five players this week. However I’m another who feels that currently the squad is under strength for the amount of games this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Please.

Show the Emery Police respect by referring to them by their full title.

Just watching MOTD now. He is so so crap :crylaugh:

It isn’t about him being crap it’s about him being unquestionable 

56 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

So another half a team then.

Yeah simple.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They're playing a 16 year old kid ahead of him.

I think it's one of those where Barca would be happy to sell him to us or other interested teams but he has a Joao Felix mindset about us.

He did play for Man. City so guess leaving Barca for 7th place team from his point of view isn't worth it and he'll sit it out at Barca even if he's just a regular sub option.

Barca these days…

spacer.png

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They're playing a 16 year old kid ahead of him.

I think it's one of those where Barca would be happy to sell him to us or other interested teams but he has a Joao Felix mindset about us.

He did play for Man. City so guess leaving Barca for 7th place team from his point of view isn't worth it and he'll sit it out at Barca even if he's just a regular sub option.

You never know…

after seeing the kind of football we play now… the trajectory we are on, the improvement and upturn…

maybe such player’s minds can be changed… even more if they get to chat with Unai…

difficult to find a better manager to work under really… 

Spoiler

Come on Federico!!! Nico is waiting!!

spacer.png

Edited by Jas10

1 hour ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

First point - that's why I wrote that piece, to help those who couldn't work it out from the many posts he has said.

Second point - we have signed four players so far. Lots of people have asked for replacements for Mings and Buendia, a new right back, a new goalkeeper, a new striker and a replacement for Coutinho as well. That would be ten new players in one window. We have moved on or released ten players already. You don't call that overhauling the squad? Plenty of people have asked for these signings. Just read through the boards.

Third point - we have Martinez, Moreno, Dendoncker, Iroegbunam and Ramsey all due back in the next few days and weeks. Suddenly our bench looks fine without the need to panic buy a load of players. I'm not saying another signing or two won't be nice. It's just not as vital to save our season as you are making it out to be.

Monkey and Kiwi…

spacer.png

with the window about to close- there is NO WAY Villa will sign 3+ players.  Ppl here on VT need to give their heads a wobble and start thinking realistically.

We will at most sign 2 players, more likely 1 player at this point.  The question becomes...  what position to target?  I am of the opinion still that CB needs another body.  When everyone in our back 4 is healthy (barring Mings) we only have 7 players...  thats not enough for 2 per position.  We need 1 more- unless UE plans on using Freeney or Revan this season- and I doubt it.  RB is covered with Cash/Konsa/Chambers, LB is covered with Moreno/Digne.  But we are honestly short at CB given how often we play with 3 CBs, only Chambers is left- and he's covering RB and CB.  We need another CB- for rotation, injuries, suspensions, etc etc.

If Villa are going to sign 2 players before the window closes- then go for another attacker- wide forward type who can play ST and out wide.  If not, then we roll the dice until January with Watkins/Duran/Zani/Diaby up top.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ejs1111 said:

with the window about to close- there is NO WAY Villa will sign 3+ players.  Ppl here on VT need to give their heads a wobble and start thinking realistically.

We will at most sign 2 players, more likely 1 player at this point.  The question becomes...  what position to target?  I am of the opinion still that CB needs another body.  When everyone in our back 4 is healthy (barring Mings) we only have 7 players...  thats not enough for 2 per position.  We need 1 more- unless UE plans on using Freeney or Revan this season- and I doubt it.  RB is covered with Cash/Konsa/Chambers, LB is covered with Moreno/Digne.  But we are honestly short at CB given how often we play with 3 CBs, only Chambers is left- and he's covering RB and CB.  We need another CB- for rotation, injuries, suspensions, etc etc.

If Villa are going to sign 2 players before the window closes- then go for another attacker- wide forward type who can play ST and out wide.  If not, then we roll the dice until January with Watkins/Duran/Zani/Diaby up top.

Dendonker and even Boubs can play CB (he's played there before)

• Thanks 1