Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

1) No thank you

2) Don’t know anything about him before just being linked so can’t comment

3) No thank you

I get that you’ve not been impressed by him when you’ve watched him but what specifically makes you so averse to signing Ferran Torres? Just curious… you seem against it, but I’m sure you’d “back it” if it happened… 

I can see us signing another attacker, with so much of the window left, but too early to call… as Unai said, we’ll act if an opportunity presents itself toward the end…

Who would you prefer and why?

Can see one or two young fullbacks coming in, exciting talents to develop and help out.

Yeah Adams doesn’t excite me but if Unai wants him…

There are better DM options out there…

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I can see both Coutihno & Traore ending up in Saudi and wouldn’t be shocked if chambers joined Gerrard either. 

Wishful thinking. Coutinho isn’t going to a Saudi no matter how many times people post it here. Traore maybe. Chambers no.

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

If we don’t get a back up GK that’s a huuuuuge gamble in my opinion. If Emi stays injury free then we forget all about it, but if not then we’ll be in the deep shit

At least for me, it’s the primary (maybe the only) concern going into this season…

Even if Emi avoids injuries, we can’t expect to play him in every single game and he’ll need a rest on occasion, it’s important to keep our players fresh, fit and firing - a good squad will allow us to do that and avoid burnout (even if it’s not so applicable to GKs)…

Olsen has the potential and form for costing us points and games… I’d be nearly as nervous as him if we played him in a knockout game… a run of games for him could actually derail our season too… unless we see a miraculous improvement in him and he eliminates his nerves and anxiety…

I do have a worrying feeling he’s going to be sticking around… not that it matters, but we haven’t seen any sort of link or rumour to a GK have we?

Might still happen… a ways to go yet 🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Massive improvement on Donk imo. If this is true we need to snap him up. 

Really? That much better? Just asking, I don’t know.

I think we could do with more of a physically dominant midfielder as an option, literally a better version of Dendoncker but with more skill, technical prowess, passing ability, agility and composure… along with the strength, height, aerial & defensive ability…

I love our midfielders but I always carry a slight concern that we could be physically dominated in certain games and could do with that extra bit of strength and resilience… I’d like to see us overpower the opposition for a change in that sense.

However, the technical ability and elegance of our midfielders will see us dominate in a different way and “outplay” a lot of teams, dictate and control possession… wonderful ability on the ball and in the pass…

It’s just nice to have different options…

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We finally have depth in the side with decent senior players as rotation options who know the squad and style of play and some of you want to blow that up ffs 🤣

Not really mate, we don’t want less players - just to improve on the ones we have and maybe even find better value.

Personally, I think it’s always good to be alert to opportunities to strengthen/improve and find players who can make more of a contribution and suffer from less injuries (more available)…

Standing still and being happy with your lot… I don’t think it’s how successful teams operate… it’s easy to get left in the dust with that sort of “complacency”… competition is fierce…

As fans, we too often hope that underperforming and injury prone players will improve and contribute more… but it’s rarely the case, more sentiment than anything…

If you can get/do better, why not go for it?

10 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I could see that - a reserve GK to replace Olsen, a back up right back, a left back to replace Digne (if he were to move on), a DCM (Adams, Jessie, Zakaria type) to replace/upgrade Dendonker, a number 10 (like Lo Celso) to compete with SJM and another wide player (possibly replacing Bailey). This would give us the desired two players per position but wouldn't necessarily impact/disrupt a first 11 but rather upgrade the squad/provide rotation options.

We are not signing 6 more players that's insane. 

2 at most.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For how many seasons have fans hoped for players to “come good” and it never happened? There’s obviously a counter to this, the odd player does improve (under the right manager).. but I’d suggest it’s the exception rather than the norm…

Let me throw a few examples out, open to plenty more:

Sanson, Coutinho, Davis, Wesley…

Way , way more from the past… many we stupidly overpaid for and just overpaid… we’ve made a lot of errors and it’s cost us really heavily…

Improve and rectify mistakes where you can…

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I can see both Coutihno & Traore ending up in Saudi and wouldn’t be shocked if chambers joined Gerrard either. 

Think Chambers will he sticking about for our homegrown quota 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We finally have depth in the side with decent senior players as rotation options who know the squad and style of play and some of you want to blow that up ffs 🤣

I’m one for less senior players as back up. 
if they’re not likely to get regular rotation, then it’s a waste of wages, and career for them. For example, Coutinho isn’t likely to get the game time his wages demands. If we can move him on, we should.

Saying all that… I expect improvements in Buendia and Bailey. But I wouldn’t call them mistakes… at least they’ve shown something and played games… there’s a lot more they can actually offer…

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’m one for less senior players as back up. 
if they’re not likely to get regular rotation, then it’s a waste of wages, and career for them. For example, Coutinho isn’t likely to get the game time his wages demands. If we can move him on, we should.

He's winding down his career now - he can have a very positive impact off the bench but probably doesn't have it in him physically to be first choice in the prem anymore. 

Don't underestimate the value of experience. Just look at Ash last season. 

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Saying all that… I expect improvements in Buendia and Bailey. But I wouldn’t call them mistakes… at least they’ve shown something and played games… there’s a lot more they can actually offer…

Their lack success has been down to the previous managers imo I think both will improve under Emery.

11 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Well no, you want to roll the dice. Change doesn't necessarily mean better, it means getting rid of known quantities and gambling on unknown ones. 

You can talk about standing still, which isn't true seeing as we've upgraded the first XI and squad with our signings, or you can look at it from a perspective of continuity - which is an underrated commodity in a world obsessed with new and shiny. This team was the 3rd best in 2023 - these players are dependable and we know they work in the system. 

It's easy to spend and waste money in today's market. Finding players that present value and are happy to be rotation options is difficult and replacing them with younger players doesn't make much sense, as you'll only be stimying their development by not giving them the minutes they need. 

I was referring more to the reserve or “out of favour” players than the first team or 11… I think we’ve done excellent business there… not suggesting we should transform or tear that up… we have an excellent “base” in that respect…

I don’t think we’ve “rolled the dice” on the players we have signed either… they are top quality imo and will impact and improve us considerably… we couldn’t have signed them before…

I totally agree with the continuity point and aspect too… but for players who actually play and perform regularly and properly contribute… you have to build something and develop players for the long term - the good ones…

I don’t think it’s wise or even sustainable to have players on, I dunno £90k+ regularly sitting on the bench or treatment table for a club like us and where we are at right now..

Edited by Jas10

Just now, gwi1890 said:

Their lack success has been down to the previous managers imo I think both will improve under Emery.

Totally agree… I expect even better performances from all our players… especially after a first preseason with Unai and a first full season with him in charge…

These players are receiving a proper EDUCATION…

• Like 3