Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

I get the feeling that Unai is anxious to get in a DOF who he can work closely with, and he trusts.

I think it requires, a different skill set from Coaching to Recruitment and its hard to have both.....its one thing to be a master coach and another to be a master recruiter / negotiator too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Has anyone got a full list of ALL the players we've been linked with? We could probably make a speculation starting XI.

just about every player, with a pulse.

49 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Monchi was a catastrophic failure at Roma.  Words can't describe how horrific he was in his 2 years there.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmetgates/2023/05/31/monchi-at-roma-the-downfall-of-the-messi-of-recruitment/?sh=6ff81e86a3c9

That said, he was fantastic working with Emery at Sevilla.  

Rudiger and Mo Salah, was not there long, sometimes clubs are just not a good fit for you....that could have applied to Monchi, too.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Seems like people expected the world from him really quickly after virtually every key player in that side was sold. Even with all the mitigating factors, that 18/19 season is indefensible: and it seems he knows it..

Sevilla have been relatively poor this season as well, which seems to be the reason why Monchi is seemingly leaving. They were fighting relegation for the first half of the season but have reverted back to European-level form since the new year: and of course reached another Europa League final.

its a risk for Unai, so I don't think he would want him, unless he was sure, he would be ok.

Nothing, is certain in these situations, so a gamble, needs to be calculated, which I think it will be, in this case.

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

I really have no idea, what to expect from this summers recruitment campaign.

.....just have to wait and see.

It’s only the start of the June and I’m fully in the mentality I’ll believe it when the club announce it, there’s been so much noise already it’s hard to keep up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

its a risk for Unai, so I don't think he would want him, unless he was sure, he would be ok.

Nothing, is certain in these situations, so a gamble, needs to be calculated, which I think it will be, in this case.

The prior relationship in which Emery and Monchi enjoyed huge success can only be a good thing. I think Emery wanted Monchi at Arsenal, too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Monchi was at Roma when they signed Robin Olsen. I think that is a red flag for starters.

I’m sure Unai knows a little more about Monchi than you. It’s very easy to cherry pick the worst signings. If Unai wants him I trust the process. Otherwise, it’s all just speculation at this point. 

10 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Here we go, speculation XI

-----------------------------Bounou-----------------------------
Dumfries ---- Laporte ---- P. Torres ---- Tierney
Guendouzi - Ugarte - Tielemans - Goncalves
---------------Joao Felix ------ Vlahovic -----------------

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

Here we go, speculation XI

-----------------------------Bounou-----------------------------
Dumfries ---- Laporte ---- P. Torres ---- Tierney
Guendouzi - Ugarte - Tielemans - Goncalves
---------------Joao Felix ------ Vlahovic -----------------

Do you reckon that team would beat our current XI?

I like the Armel Bella Kotchap rumour (Southampton). If Emery is looking to play three CB"s and a left wing back then ABK could do the RCB job effectively. His stature, physicality, pace and power make him very hard to get by in 1v1's. He's only 21 but could be just right for us.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I've liked this player for a while, I'd assumed he'd be going somewhere we had no chance of intercepting - Liverpool, Bayern etc considering he's available on  a Free...

But if he's going to Roma, we should absolutely be all over trying to bring him here instead. Unless he had a disastrous season this year - he was one of the best young CBs in Europe last season and has 150 appearances at 23 - very good for a CB

Totally agree, I would have thought he would be going to a club higher up the chain than Roma.

21 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I’m sure Unai knows a little more about Monchi than you. It’s very easy to cherry pick the worst signings. If Unai wants him I trust the process. Otherwise, it’s all just speculation at this point. 

Not just that but they have a particular budget as well and will prioritise it accordingly each window the same as everyone else.

33 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Monchi was at Roma when they signed Robin Olsen. I think that is a red flag for starters.

He is rated 4th in the best DOF's.....but I don't know anymore than that.

But we have had a few "skeletons in our cupboard", over the years.... So I guess a few errors are inevitable.

32 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Do you reckon that team would beat our current XI?

well they would have to trump 1.96 PPG...........?

30 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I like the Armel Bella Kotchap rumour (Southampton). If Emery is looking to play three CB"s and a left wing back then ABK could do the RCB job effectively. His stature, physicality, pace and power make him very hard to get by in 1v1's. He's only 21 but could be just right for us.

The Holte End, poets will be running for the exits.

• Haha 1